LongIslandEric

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Hi,

I have a P4 1.4MHZ OSME 80G HD 768RAM with a GeForce2 Ultra/Ti/Pro/GTS. I would like to upgrade the Video Card to a GeForce4, TI4600. I plan on upgrading the monitor to a Dell UltraSharp 1900FP, 19" Flat Panel LCD,Active Matrix TFT, Gray, 1280 x 1024 pixels, 0.30mm Dot Pitch, Anti Glare Hard Coating. Analog/Digital DVI capability for crisp images.

I am looking for Digital display from the card for the monitor and plan on hooking it up to a Flat panel Plasma TV in the furture.

Is this the correct Video card?

Suggestions/replys are appreciated.

LongIsland Eric

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heck, if you're dropping that much cash, why not go all the way and get a Radeon 9700 Pro?

Of course the "best" images are still found on old fashioned CRT monitors, expecially if you play games or do a lot of 3D work.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I totally agree with Crashman on this.
Also, the 9700Pro will probably do you more good than the GF4 when hooked to a plasma screen.

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

LongIslandEric

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You feel CRT Analog image is better than a Digital flat screen image? Please understand I am still learning the ins-and-outs.

Thanks,

LIE

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll be surprized to find that digital flat panels have much more latency, or "lag", than CRT's. This causes fast motion, such as games, to look blurry. Also these devices use a fixed resolution. Most now mask that fixed resolution by "interpolation", the monitor is forced to figure out how to fix the wrong number of pixels in the image to the number of pixels on the screen. The pixels being of fixed size are also larger than the pixels of a quality CRT.

Generally speaking the advantages of digital flat pannels are: less light being projected means less eye fatigue, less weight and size means it's easier to find a place to put, and less energy consumption/heat.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>