Here we go again

Last response: in Video Games
July 9, 2005 12:43:17 PM

I'm not even finished rebuilding from Ivan the Terrible and now I gotta deal
with Dennis the Menace.

Would the last one to leave Florida please turn out the lights?

More about : question

July 9, 2005 10:43:58 PM

Anyone in here flying a C-130 around the gulf in MS2K4 with the online
weather to simulate what the hurricane hunters do?

Then to kick it up a notch, we could fly the Cessna 152 on the same mission.
That's the advantage of sims - to do things we can't, wouldn't or shouldn't
do in real life...

Is it even possible to fly through the eyewall in MS2K4? Does the eyewall
exist, is it defined enough, etc?

Arizona

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
> I'm not even finished rebuilding from Ivan the Terrible and now I gotta
> deal with Dennis the Menace.
>
> Would the last one to leave Florida please turn out the lights?

July 10, 2005 1:16:48 PM

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
> I'm not even finished rebuilding from Ivan the Terrible and now I gotta
> deal with Dennis the Menace.
>
> Would the last one to leave Florida please turn out the lights?

Do you guys have some kind of hurricane magnet over there?
July 10, 2005 1:16:49 PM

I swear, I went from Betsy in about 64 to Frederick in around 80... no
problem. Other than Betsy and Camile, I don't even remember hearing about
hurricanes as a kid. This damn thing is the same strength and taking the
same track as Ivan... Only difference, is that with the dunes gone on the
barrier islands, the storm surge will be worse.

I'm trying to keep a sense of humor... I've posted "Williams Marina, slips
available - $1,000 per day" and "Don't even THINK of parking your boat here"
signs on the plywood covering the windows (after Ivan we had a cabin cruiser
against the house and another one in the street in front.) My wife wants to
sink pilings around the house with bumpers to keep them away <grin>.

One bit of dark humor though... While getting the latest updates, I've been
hitting the US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA)
website. Prominently posted (more prominently then the hurricane date) is
the story that a town on the east coast of Florida has been named as the
first tsunami-ready town in the US. A laudable achievement to be sure, but
how likely is a tsunami on the Atlantic coast of Florida????

My wife talked me into just going to her mothers, 20 or so miles inland,
instead of my usual practice of going a 3 or 4 hundred miles perpendicular
to the storm... I think I prefer the hurricane to my mother-in-law.

I cut down a few of the remaining (but dead) trees so there's nothing left
to fall on the house. You could land a helicopter on our lot now... 1
acre, formerly heavily wooded, now it's almost as bare as a football field.

Oh well, I've got to go back to figuring out how to waterproof the TV.

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not even finished rebuilding from Ivan the Terrible and now I gotta
>> deal with Dennis the Menace.
>>
>> Would the last one to leave Florida please turn out the lights?
>>

> Do you guys have some kind of hurricane magnet over there?

July 10, 2005 1:16:50 PM

Good luck, Jay.

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Chuck, it worked. Dennis took a sudden jog north which put us on its
west side. That meant no storm surge for us and the winds had slowed having
passed across land already (hurricanes spin counterclockwise)... No damage,
no flooding, lost power at my motherinlaws, but power was still on here, so
we came home yesterday evening. Karen, I and the kids were very, very
lucky... unfortunately, those to the north and east (molino, milton, gulf
breeze, navarre) were not so lucky. I also hear the sewage treatment plant
downtown overflowed again... A ton of raw sewage in downtown Pensacola.
Maybe now the city fathers will consider moving the damn thing...

"Chuck" <Nonyabiz@all.com> wrote in message
> Good luck, Jay.
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
> Benjamin Franklin
July 11, 2005 9:48:49 PM

> I also hear the sewage treatment plant
> downtown overflowed again... A ton of raw sewage in downtown Pensacola.
> Maybe now the city fathers will consider moving the damn thing...

I lived in Middle Georgia during the 94 floods. When the water plant got
flooded we didn't have water pressure for 3-4 weeks so I know what a bitch
it is. The pool at the condo I lived at was pretty soapy we flushed with
water from a duck pond! Picked up jugs of water from the fire dept on the
way home. Hope it's quicker for you!

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:44:36 AM

The consequences of Global Warming - will Americans drive smaller cars and
stop using air-conditioning in their houses?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:08:45 AM

When gas is $5/gal Ill bet we do.

To hinge any argument about Global Warming and humans impact on a naturally
occurring climate change isnt science its pure speculation so jump off your
soap box.

Assuming their is a correlation, where you come from they dont drive cars or
have AC eh? Or are you just targeting America to make yourself feel like a
big man or just a hypocrite?

I live in California and our air is cleaner now than 10 years ago by a large
margin and all the while we have an ever increasing population. Can you say
that?

Believe me we pay for it too.

Mitch

"Mark Lee" <markwlee@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> The consequences of Global Warming - will Americans drive smaller cars and
> stop using air-conditioning in their houses?

July 12, 2005 12:21:16 PM

"Mark Lee" <markwlee@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> The consequences of Global Warming - will Americans drive smaller cars and
> stop using air-conditioning in their houses?

Will never happen.

Who do ya think we are, the french or something ???

Allan

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous

I'm good to go this time (I live in the extreme western edge of Pensacola...
It would take me less time to drive to the Alabama line then to downtown
Pensacola) ... lost nothing this time. My water and sewer are from a
private company rather than Emerald Coast Utilities Authority so we don't
even have a boil order. After Ivan, it was different.... A lot different.
I quickly decided that if I used antibacterial soap, it canceled out the
bacteria in the water so I could shower (Hey, maybe it worked, no dysentery
here!<grin>), got used to using bottled water to rinse my toothbrush and got
pretty adept at putting drops of chlorine bleach in water to purify it.
Nearly a month with boil orders and no electricity... <shudder> Only good
thing to come out of it is it turns out my wife likes the way I look with a
beard (when there's no AC, I don't shave).

As for driving smaller cars and living without AC, kiss my ass, that poster
can kiss my ass. Nothing makes you appreciate AC like being without it.
check out # 21.

HURRICANE OBSERVATIONS
(I wish I could claim it's original it was forwarded to me after Ivan by a
female friend of mine. Probably applies to any natural disaster)
1. An oak tree on the ground looks four times bigger than it did

standing up.

2. When house hunting look for closets with lots of leg room.

3. Water from the shower is much colder than water from the kitchen

sink--and tastes just as bad.

4. AA, C and D are the only alphabet we need (batteries).

5. The four-way stop is still an ingenious reflection of civility.

7. Radio can be the best way to watch television.

8. Chain-saw wielding men are nothing to be afraid of.

9. SUV's are the best makeshift tents on the market.

10. You can use your washing machine as a cooler.

11. It's your God given right to sit on your back porch and eat Chinese

takeout by candlelight in your underwear.

12. We shouldn't complain about "useless" tools in the garage-- we

actually DO need a generator

13. You can't spell "priceless" without I-C-E.

14. Downed power lines make excellent security systems.

15. Lakes can generate waves.

16. Gasoline is a value at any price

17. Cell phones: Breaking up isn't hard to do.

18. The life blood of any disaster recovery is COFFEE.

19. The need for your dog to go out and take care of business is

inversely proportional to the severity of the storm.

20. Candlelight is better than Botox--- it takes years off your

appearance.

21. Air Conditioning: BEST. INVENTION. EVER.

22. Water is a comfort food. But 3-day-old Cheetos are too.

23. Shadow animals on the wall---still fun.

24. No matter how hard the wind blows, roadside campaign signs will

survive.

25. You should never admit to having power at your house in the

presence of co-workers or neighbors who do not.

26. There's a plus to having NOTHING in the refrigerator.

27. Getting through the day should be an Olympic event.

28. The movie theater can be a most pleasant place, even if the

feature is Alien vs. Predator.

29. Somebody's got it worse.

30. Somebody's got it better. Obviously, they're getting

preferential treatment.

> "Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in
>
>> I also hear the sewage treatment plant
>> downtown overflowed again... A ton of raw sewage in downtown Pensacola.
>> Maybe now the city fathers will consider moving the damn thing...
>>

> I lived in Middle Georgia during the 94 floods. When the water plant got
> flooded we didn't have water pressure for 3-4 weeks so I know what a bitch
> it is. The pool at the condo I lived at was pretty soapy we flushed with
> water from a duck pond! Picked up jugs of water from the fire dept on the
> way home. Hope it's quicker for you!
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
> Benjamin Franklin
July 12, 2005 9:43:55 PM

"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in news:esidnQOWpKchKE7fRVn-
2Q@comcast.com:

> Will never happen.
>
> Who do ya think we are, the french or something ???

Hey, cut them some slack. Mid-july and no reports of thousands of elderly
killed from the heat. They do have the rest of the summer, though.

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:55:20 AM

> I'm good to go this time (I live in the extreme western edge of
> Pensacola... It would take me less time to drive to the Alabama line then
> to downtown Pensacola) ... lost nothing this time.

<SNIP some funny stuff>

Thank GOD my parents decided to move out of Naples when I was a kid in oh,
say, 1984. Nice weather, nice beaches, but hated fire ants, and risk of
hurricanes.
July 13, 2005 2:54:19 PM

> Hey, cut them some slack. Mid-july and no reports of thousands of elderly
> killed from the heat.

Just wait till august. That is when they go on vacation.

> They do have the rest of the summer, though.

I feel truly sorry for their elderly, I really do..........

Allan

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
!