F4 AF: what's the consensus?

Sigh. Want a really, really stable (esp. in multiplayer) SP3 + some
other extra goodies that don't break the sim? Get AF. Damn, not
rocket science here.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:06:24 -0700, Tim Hall <fakeaddress@fake.net>
wrote:

>On a scale of 1 to 10?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how old MJ's boyfriend?

"Tim Hall" <fakeaddress@fake.net> wrote in message
> On a scale of 1 to 10?

I have found the game to be completely cool now. Also most
of the same controls for radar and such still work in my TM
F-22 profile so it is even better yet. The graphics surprised me.
In some ways I thought they are worse, but in reality I think they
are much better. I did not see a "bubble" parameter, and the
sky and horizon looked superb. Also the "star" effect from the
missiles is amazing. All in all I would give it a 10 actually as I
have not found anything wrong. So no reason to ding it.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

Tim Hall wrote:
> On a scale of 1 to 10?

"It depends."

What are you looking for? Stability? 9/10. Flashy graphics? 6/10.
Deep and involving campaign? 10/10. Ease of learning? 2/10.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Tim Hall wrote:
>> On a scale of 1 to 10?
>
> "It depends."
>
> What are you looking for? Stability? 9/10. Flashy graphics? 6/10. Deep
> and involving campaign? 10/10. Ease of learning? 2/10.

Can't you write a script to take care of the 2/10 ?

:)

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

10 out of 10 - no question.

Had it for a week and have suffered no crashes or lockups. Graphics
are improved over the original, AI is much better.

I am playing the first Balkans campaign and am finding the the game
seems much more balanced than the orignal Korean campaigns. What I
mean is that in the original I always seemed to end up flying under 500
feet to avoid SAMs and bogeys. With F4AF I am able to fly higher
without getting destroyed. SAMs are easier to defeat - with the
original it seemed that when a SAM was launched at you - you died...
With F4AF you have a fighting chance of spoofing a SAM - in fact in a
number of missions I have read the event list afterwards and only then
realised that a number of SAMs had been thrown at me. I'm not saying
F4AF is easy, just that everything works as it should.

Did I say 10 out of 10? ;-)

ETV

"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Tim Hall wrote:
>>> On a scale of 1 to 10?
>>
>> "It depends."
>>
>> What are you looking for? Stability? 9/10. Flashy graphics? 6/10.
>> Deep and involving campaign? 10/10. Ease of learning? 2/10.
>
> Can't you write a script to take care of the 2/10 ?
>
> :)

Or use simplified options makes it 7/10.

"Eric The Viking" <stickyerfekkinspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 10 out of 10 - no question.
>
> Had it for a week and have suffered no crashes or lockups. Graphics
> are improved over the original, AI is much better.
>
> I am playing the first Balkans campaign and am finding the the game
> seems much more balanced than the orignal Korean campaigns. What I
> mean is that in the original I always seemed to end up flying under 500
> feet to avoid SAMs and bogeys. With F4AF I am able to fly higher
> without getting destroyed. SAMs are easier to defeat - with the
> original it seemed that when a SAM was launched at you - you died...
> With F4AF you have a fighting chance of spoofing a SAM - in fact in a
> number of missions I have read the event list afterwards and only then
> realised that a number of SAMs had been thrown at me. I'm not saying
> F4AF is easy, just that everything works as it should.
>
> Did I say 10 out of 10? ;-)
>
> ETV

My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the labels
and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my HUD
directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
level, or even on GMT.

Hockey, what mode is your AGM-65 in? I haven't tried F4AF yet but I
assume it hasn't changed in the fact that you need to Slave it to
radar in order for it to do what you want (I think). If radar is in
Steerpoint mode and your target is at the steerpoint it should be
close when you get there. Guess I better dive into this again...

Not sure if I am on the same page as you though, so sorry if I am off
base.

Icer

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:46:09 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
>using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the labels
>and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my HUD
>directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
>level, or even on GMT.

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

> My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
> using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the
labels
> and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my
HUD
> directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
> level, or even on GMT.

Have you been using the "Shift F3" button to darken the radar screen? I find
that the targets are too bright to see if you don't do that.

Thanks
Gus

Can't say I've noticed the problem with the AG radar.

Have you tried putting the radar in snow-plough mode?

ETV

It's the most difficult game I've ever owned. That being said, I'm
gonna have to give up the notion of jumping into this game 'hard-core'
and soften up the difficulty tabs. Other than, the game is amazing.
Folks making the jump from a prop sim to this thing are in for a bitter
sweet pill.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:46:09 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:

>My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
>using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the labels
>and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my HUD
>directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
>level, or even on GMT.

I've logged this as a bug at Frugal's - and it's been confirmed by
others. There's *definitely* a problem with A2G radar.

I set up a simple TE with two naval targets (2 task forces) - it took
a few missions to sink all the targets. The first mission I ran, the
A2G (in SEA mode) worked fine. After that, there was no way I could
get the ships to show - even when they were in visual contact. No
amount of cycling through radar modes or A2G stores could get them to
appear again.

At first, we thought it was a problem restricted to naval targets, but
then others started reporting it happening with land-based units.

It's quite a problem, as you're often faced with asking your flight or
wingman to attack a specified (radar locked) target. With no lock, we
all cruise around sight-seeing <g>.

Adamski.

"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:46:09 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>
>>My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
>>using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the
>>labels
>>and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my
>>HUD
>>directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
>>level, or even on GMT.
>
> I've logged this as a bug at Frugal's - and it's been confirmed by
> others. There's *definitely* a problem with A2G radar.

You know this is quite disapointing. I would have figured by this time
that all of this would be sorted out. I assume there were beta testers
checking this out! So far IA is cool, but I was hoping to get into the
game more. Now I am thinking about letting it sit again.

Bummer. I guess I have no tolerance for this type of thing anymore
compared to console games.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

> I set up a simple TE with two naval targets (2 task forces) - it took
> a few missions to sink all the targets. The first mission I ran, the
> A2G (in SEA mode) worked fine. After that, there was no way I could
> get the ships to show - even when they were in visual contact. No
> amount of cycling through radar modes or A2G stores could get them to
> appear again.
>
> At first, we thought it was a problem restricted to naval targets, but
> then others started reporting it happening with land-based units.
>
> It's quite a problem, as you're often faced with asking your flight or
> wingman to attack a specified (radar locked) target. With no lock, we
> all cruise around sight-seeing <g>.
>
> Adamski.

CCCC

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:13:12 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:46:09 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>>
>>>My biggest gripe so far, however, is that I can never find ground targets
>>>using the A/G radar. I can see them through the Maverick TV, with the
>>>labels
>>>and visually, or with the padlocking option. I can have my TD box on my
>>>HUD
>>>directly over a SAM, and it doesn't show up on GM radar under any zoom
>>>level, or even on GMT.
>>
>> I've logged this as a bug at Frugal's - and it's been confirmed by
>> others. There's *definitely* a problem with A2G radar.
>
>You know this is quite disapointing. I would have figured by this time
>that all of this would be sorted out. I assume there were beta testers
>checking this out! So far IA is cool, but I was hoping to get into the
>game more. Now I am thinking about letting it sit again.
>
>Bummer. I guess I have no tolerance for this type of thing anymore
>compared to console games.

Use CCIP and eyeball it ;)

It's not to do with the AGM-65. It's the A/G radar. Even though I can *see*
a target with my Maverick, with labels, or just visually, it doesn't show up
on radar.

I can target all day long with my Maverick, but locking targets with the A/G
radar is impossible as they don't show up on radar.

> Can't say I've noticed the problem with the AG radar.
>
> Have you tried putting the radar in snow-plough mode?
>
> ETV

Doesn't matter. Snowplow, Steerpoint, EXP, DSB1, DSB2. They AREN'T THERE!

I sit there in freeze mode looking right at them, TD box centered over them,
text label above them, but no radar return. I do it without freeze mode as I
approach very carefully, still same result.

It's been indicated many times at Frugalsworld forums. Hopefully it makes
the "must-fix list" in the first patch.

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Doesn't matter. Snowplow, Steerpoint, EXP, DSB1, DSB2. They AREN'T THERE!
>
> I sit there in freeze mode looking right at them, TD box centered over
> them, text label above them, but no radar return. I do it without freeze
> mode as I approach very carefully, still same result.
>
> It's been indicated many times at Frugalsworld forums. Hopefully it makes
> the "must-fix list" in the first patch.

Patch? What the hell are you talking about with "patch"? This is
the patch. All this stuff should have been sorted out. What you
describe seems like basic stuff that hoses up the A/G portion
of the game. How could it have possibly been missed?

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:21:14 -0400, cccc@home.net wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:13:12 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> I've logged this as a bug at Frugal's - and it's been confirmed by
>>> others. There's *definitely* a problem with A2G radar.
>>
>>You know this is quite disapointing. I would have figured by this time
>>that all of this would be sorted out. I assume there were beta testers
>>checking this out! So far IA is cool, but I was hoping to get into the
>>game more. Now I am thinking about letting it sit again.
>>
>>Bummer. I guess I have no tolerance for this type of thing anymore
>>compared to console games.
>
>Use CCIP and eyeball it ;)

Sure - that works fine - except when you're attacking a group of 6
ships, all firing SAMS & cannon at you and your wingmen can't take the
heat off you because you can't give them the "attack my target"
command <ggg>.

Don't get me wrong though - AF is still a *great* improvement and I
think it's a good foundation for Falcon's future.

Adamski.

CCCC

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:47:21 +1200, Adamski <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:21:14 -0400, cccc@home.net wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:13:12 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>You know this is quite disapointing. I would have figured by this time
>>>that all of this would be sorted out. I assume there were beta testers
>>>checking this out! So far IA is cool, but I was hoping to get into the
>>>game more. Now I am thinking about letting it sit again.
>>>
>>>Bummer. I guess I have no tolerance for this type of thing anymore
>>>compared to console games.
>>
>>Use CCIP and eyeball it ;)
>
>Sure - that works fine - except when you're attacking a group of 6
>ships, all firing SAMS & cannon at you and your wingmen can't take the
>heat off you because you can't give them the "attack my target"
>command <ggg>.

I haven't gotten that far but most of my missions are suicide missions
any ways.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:33:20 -0400, cccc@home.net wrote:

>I haven't gotten that far but most of my missions are suicide missions
>any ways.

Hehehe ... now *that* sounds familiar <g> .. "Archer inb----- BLAM!"

Adamski.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:20:57 -0500, Greg Cisko wrote:

>"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Doesn't matter. Snowplow, Steerpoint, EXP, DSB1, DSB2. They AREN'T THERE!
>>
>> I sit there in freeze mode looking right at them, TD box centered over
>> them, text label above them, but no radar return. I do it without freeze
>> mode as I approach very carefully, still same result.
>>
>> It's been indicated many times at Frugalsworld forums. Hopefully it makes
>> the "must-fix list" in the first patch.
>
>Patch? What the hell are you talking about with "patch"? This is
>the patch. All this stuff should have been sorted out. What you
>describe seems like basic stuff that hoses up the A/G portion
>of the game. How could it have possibly been missed?

Hey, go have a beer (or two) <g>. I'd call AF not so much a "patch" as
a "tidy up" or "reworking" of old Falcon4 code. It's suddenly had a
few hundred new "beta-testers" added to the mix, so it's hardly
surprising that new (or even old) bugs are being reported.

I'm prepared to cut LP a little slack and give them as much useful
feedback as possible. Though I've seen this bug myself, there don't
appear to be *1,000's* of people out there confirming it - so it may
just be some wierd combination of circumstances.

On a few other issues, LP have already recognised bugs at Frugal's and
have promised fixes.

If AF were a brand new product - published at full price, then I think
I'd be far more critical - but, let's face it, no-one these days is
going to start a hard-core jet sim - so I'm grateful we have AF, even
if it's inherited some of F4's shortcomings.

> Hey, go have a beer (or two) <g>. I'd call AF not so much a "patch" as
> a "tidy up" or "reworking" of old Falcon4 code. It's suddenly had a
> few hundred new "beta-testers" added to the mix, so it's hardly
> surprising that new (or even old) bugs are being reported.
>
> I'm prepared to cut LP a little slack and give them as much useful
> feedback as possible. Though I've seen this bug myself, there don't

But this is something that apparently has been spotted immediately.
So the beta testers did not do their job, or something else is hosed.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com