Your question

Windows 7 excessive freezing

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 2:19:19 AM

Hey,

Just recently built a new desktop, and it does excessive freezing on me when doing anything with video.It has mostly happened when watching Youtube videos, but also when working with video in After Effects or randomly when playing a game. And it makes me force restart it every time, since I'm unable to use anything.I'm not sure what it could be cause i have updated most drivers and i don't think it is the hardware playing up from trying to do some research on the problem, or more i really hope it isn't. I have checked the System event log, but im a little lost on which one the problem could be.There is only one critical error that i have is when i have had to force restart and its source is "Kernel-Power" "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and along with a bunch or errors and warnings.Any help would be great thanks.

Build:
Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
ASUS P9X79 Pro Motherboard
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling System
Thermaltake 800W TR2 Bronze TR-800P
Intel Core i7 3820
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 [015-P3-1580-KR]
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 3:45:45 PM

Did you install the chipset drivers after you installed windows? They should be on the disk that came with your motherboard. Also, make sure to use the newest video drivers.

Did you run memtest86+ on the system after you built it to make sure your ram is ok? Windows 7 seems kind of fussy with ram.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 7:25:56 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you install the chipset drivers after you installed windows? They should be on the disk that came with your motherboard. Also, make sure to use the newest video drivers.

Did you run memtest86+ on the system after you built it to make sure your ram is ok? Windows 7 seems kind of fussy with ram.

I have done all of that, installed the drivers from the discs at first, then later of the website.The only thing that i havent updated for the motherboard is the BIOS cause im not 100% on how to do so. And for the ram, i let it pass through a couple of times through Memtest, and nothing
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 12:03:50 PM

What errors are you getting in the event viewer? The ones under system are particularly helpful. The message "Kernel-Power" "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first is more of an informational message that really doesn't tell much.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 12:30:24 PM

Well going with the ones that have most happened in the previous 24hrs "WMI" "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

"Dhcp-Client" "Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x00268336F786. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

and in the Warnings it would be "Kernel-PnP" "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0001."

Here is a screenshot of the other Errors and Warnings though http://i.imgur.com/ModYl.png
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 3:39:07 PM

Well, I can see the error topic, but not their description. I'm not sure how you can even post those. The volsnap most likely isn't a problem. It probably reads that there wasn't suffient space for on disk and had to delete the oldest restore point.

The DHCP error... do you have multiple network adapters? One wireless and one wired maybe? the reason I say this is because you are obviously connected to the internet. This may not be an error as long as the main adapter you use to connect to the network has a valid IP address.

The WMI error is the big one. It still seems like not all chipset drivers are installed. If you go into device manager, are there devices listed as OTHER or are there any with yellow exclamation points next to them?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 3:49:12 PM

Quote:
Hey,

Just recently built a new desktop, and it does excessive freezing on me when doing anything with video.It has mostly happened when watching Youtube videos, but also when working with video in After Effects or randomly when playing a game. And it makes me force restart it every time, since I'm unable to use anything.I'm not sure what it could be cause i have updated most drivers and i don't think it is the hardware playing up from trying to do some research on the problem, or more i really hope it isn't. I have checked the System event log, but im a little lost on which one the problem could be.There is only one critical error that i have is when i have had to force restart and its source is "Kernel-Power" "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and along with a bunch or errors and warnings.Any help would be great thanks.

Build:
Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
LG CH12LS28 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
ASUS P9X79 Pro Motherboard
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling System
Thermaltake 800W TR2 Bronze TR-800P
Intel Core i7 3820
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 [015-P3-1580-KR]

The key to ending the problems is to replace the Asus motherboard with a different manufacturer.
Until then, you will suffer.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 4:02:53 PM

soundguruman said:
The key to ending the problems is to replace the Asus motherboard with a different manufacturer.
Until then, you will suffer.

WMI errors tend to clear up if all the correct chipset drivers are installed, but in this case you may be right.

@OP: A bios update may also fix some of this, but with you lack of familiarity with the bios, I don't want to walk you through it. A botched bios update will render your board useless.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 4:08:48 PM

The drivers suck. There are all kinds of "workarounds" to make an Asus product "function" but you will be fighting with it to the ends of the earth.
Takes 30 minutes to install a good board. Then enjoy your computer.
Why suffer any longer?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 19, 2012 3:47:20 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
WMI errors tend to clear up if all the correct chipset drivers are installed, but in this case you may be right.

@OP: A bios update may also fix some of this, but with you lack of familiarity with the bios, I don't want to walk you through it. A botched bios update will render your board useless.

The details for the WMI error "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

And no, there are no yellow exclamation marks next to the chipset drivers in the device manager.

Also ill get some help on doing a BIOS update, cause I don't want to spend money on a new motherboard right now, and its not even definite that its the board itself or more without trying all possible options of solving this problem.
m
l
!