The best flight-sim pcgame is??

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:46:41 +0000 (UTC), "Carl"
<me@theworld.universe> wrote:

>Lock On Flaming Cliffs

Snoopy and the Red Baron

"Carl" <me@theworld.universe> wrote in message
> Lock On Flaming Cliffs

No he said flightsim, not Stunt Island 2004.

Based on what? Different games excel in different ways. Also, what
about the different genres? Survey sim, stand-a,lone; rotary,
fixed-wing; historical, modern?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"tigerblow" <mr.h0n9@gmail.com> wrote in message
> F4 or Su-27??

IL2 FB

EF2000

"Lawsy" <vedder@transfieldservices.com> wrote in message
> Flanker...

"tigerblow" <mr.h0n9@gmail.com> wrote in message
> F4 or Su-27??

Of those two, F4 Allied Force is far more immersive for me than LOMAC
Flaming Cliffs (a brilliant game by any standard, but too sterile for my
tastes).

However, my favorites of ALL TIME are SWOTL (the original) and Chuck
Yeager's Air Combat ( the only sim that I actually finished, i.e. flew every
single mission of every plane multiple times)...ah, college days.

Let me be the first to say it ... and induce the inevitable heart
attacks in the more elderly posters here ...

T-O-R-N-A-D-O !!

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh ... [thump] ... cardiac massage NOW!!

Adamski.

tigerblow wrote:
> F4 or Su-27??

definitely it is battlefield 1943, it is l33t

Niether.

Tornado.

What might have been had DI been coding today.

*sigh*

PacFighters for now with TrackIR.

-Surfer

tigerblow wrote:
> F4 or Su-27??

am

"Mark Lee" <markwlee@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> "Knights of the Sky"

Wings Of Glory

Weren't the Jane's Fighters games ancestors of CYAC? You could fly
"Fighters Anthology" and get your fix, right? I never really got into
SWOTL - my PC was just powerful enough to make BoB an enjoyable game.
By the time I replaced my 286, it was 1997, and I had a PentiumMMX.
BoB was my college-era nostalgia game. It was the first game I ran in
VGA; the colors virtually dripped off the screen (though the effect was
probably enhanced by slow-clock speed of the 286). It was just hard
enough to feel challenging, yet not too hard to keep me from beating it
(at least when playing RAF). Even when I broke the game's secrets
(like knowing which wave of He-111's to hit first, or where the next
wave of Ju-87's would come from) it was still addictive. One thing I
hated when I played the game was the AI - even when I manned spits with
clones of my own user-created pilot (with all of his kills and
completed missions) they still few around cluelessly while Stukas and
Dorniers I didn't get just sailed to their targets.

Birds of Prey,

although only few of you will remember since it was released 1991. Sort of
dynamic campaign, loads of different aircraft to fly, even more different
missions to fly, inluding recon, close air support, and cargo missions. No
flight sim has ever come close to it.

It was published by Electronic Arts and is a free download today. I guess
nobody will be happy to do so, because the graphics where state of the art
onl in 1991 and with a modern computer this game is impossible to play.

....sigh...

Heiko

"tigerblow" <mr.h0n9@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> F4 or Su-27??

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <db96iq$smb$1@newsreader3.netcologne.de>, "Heiko Thomas" <heikothomas@netcologne.de> wrote:
>Birds of Prey,
>
>although only few of you will remember since it was released 1991.

Didn't think I'd ever hear that name again! Oh my gawd, what a
buggy program that was! Great promise, but I don't think it came
close to delivering. If I recall, it was fun ... in a masochistic
way.

For oldtimers, I'd have to second the vote for CYAC.

"It's the man, not the machine" - Chuck Yaeger

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

dm@nospam.com (Dave) wrote in news:GnWBe.31909$e%5.10512
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> For oldtimers, I'd have to second the vote for CYAC.

F19 Steath Fighter for me. 'Course, free time was much more plentiful
then.

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

In article <Xns9694BC4BFBA2Anonyabizallcom@216.196.97.131>,
Nonyabiz@all.com (Chuck) wrote:

> F19 Steath Fighter

I really should be adding my name to the TORNADO! score, or maybe
sticking up for EECH, which shares a lot of Tornado pedigree and
potential. But it was playing F19 Stealth Fighter on a friend's
computer which made me start to take notice of PCs. And because of
that I noticed a PC gaming mag on my bosses desk, saw a preview of
Tornado, and... the rest is history.

Of course what I *really* ought to be doing is avoiding yet another
thread like this. Makes us look like a load of sad old gits
perpetually revisiting our lost semi-youth.

But then the truth is always difficult to face :)

Andrew McP

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote in

> Of course what I *really* ought to be doing is avoiding yet another
> thread like this. Makes us look like a load of sad old gits
> perpetually revisiting our lost semi-youth.

I find the "rose colored glasses" phenomena very interesting (in all area's
of life, not just games). What makes us look back so favorably??? I
really do think games had fewer bugs on release then, both from being so
much more simple (hell, many games had just 1 or a few programers) but also
because there was no ready method for fixing them. Access to compuserve or
prodigy was much more rare then. Also, we didn't expect much, so it was
much easier to suspend disbelief. But, EVERY generation remembers the
"good old days"

Still, I fondly remember HOURS at low altitude, going slow, sneaking around
radar sites, and desperately trying to get the Congressional Medal of
Honor!

Chuck

--

Chuck wrote:
> dm@nospam.com (Dave) wrote in news:GnWBe.31909$e%5.10512
> @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
>
> > For oldtimers, I'd have to second the vote for CYAC.
> >

> F19 Steath Fighter for me. 'Course, free time was much more plentiful
> then.
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
> Benjamin Franklin

F19 wasn't without its bugs though - remember flying a mission out over
the sea, was flying around 200ft above sea level and blew up for no
reason. The debrief told me that I'd crashed into a hill!

Ahhh, they don't make bugs that make you chuckle any more ;-)

ETV

Buggy? Any game at that was buggy back in 1991. FS2 was, Aces of er Pacific
was, TORNADO was, F117A was, ...

Birds of Prey had carrier landings, you could drop supplies from C130, you
could destroy infrastucture or airports and win a campaign, there were all
kinds of missiles, the game was balanced, you could even ride the X15 to the
atmosphere and try to land it on an airport...

....sob...

Heiko

In article <dbav7r$mrj$1@newsreader3.netcologne.de>, "Heiko Thomas" <heikothomas@netcologne.de> wrote:
>Buggy? Any game at that was buggy back in 1991. FS2 was, Aces of er Pacific
>was, TORNADO was, F117A was, ...

Hey, didn't mean to pick on your fave. Anyway, king of the bugs
back then had to be Falcon3. Boy, did I wait a long time for that
one to finally come out. Bugs and all, I logged a lot of hours.
I don't recall AOTP or Tornado being all that buggy. Great games
all. Yeah, I'm sure a bit of it is just the "back in the old
days". But some of us are getting to the point where that's a
considerable length of time :)