Buying a new cpu, need some LCD advice.

Mucknuggle

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
I'm planning on getting a Samsung SyncMaster 170n with my new PC. I was wondering if it is a good LCD. I've heard good things about it, but I wasn't sure how it was for gaming. Does it have that "blur effect" that I've heard is pretty common among LCD monitors when playing FPS games? IT's not a big deal, I could always just switch down my SyncMAster 753DF CRT if I found it to be really bad. I'm just more or less looking for a product review of it as all I've had to go on is what has been said by customers at amazon.com. Thx in advance.

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I personally have a Hercules Prophetview 920pro myself. I have no problems whatsoever with the monitor in games, movies, and simple webpage/wordprocessing tasks. They are however, next to impossible to find at this current time.

The next monitor I would recommend due to the feedback I've heard is the Viewsonic VP171B. Most people I've heard of that have this monitor love it. I'd rate the display characteristics as second best, but first in features available for the price.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
review: <A HREF="http://www.cnet.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_172N_Black/4505-3174_7-21193365-2.html?tag=review" target="_new">link</A>