LucasArts Tie Fighter and sound cards

Hello,

I'm trying to play the old TIE Fighter game from LucasArts, installed
in a win98. My problem is the sound setup utility does not recognizes
my sound card in the Express setup; the card is a PCI Yamaha DS-XG
A301-G50. I also tried setting the different cards offered in the
Custom setup, with nearly every setting combination, but no luck, no
sound or midi at all. BTW, the card is installed in windows and sound
works.

The card settings are port 220, IRQ 3 and DMA 1 (or could be IRQ 1 and
DMA 3, not sure).

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks,
Alvaro Medina

agh

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

<alvaromg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to play the old TIE Fighter game from LucasArts, installed
> in a win98. My problem is the sound setup utility does not recognizes
> my sound card in the Express setup; the card is a PCI Yamaha DS-XG

I assume this is the DOS version. I would recommend getting a copy of X-Wing
and Tie Fighter The Collector's edition from 1997, I think. It is the only
edition which features X-Wing in a 640*480 graphics with updated textures
and 3d video card support. Tie Fighter from that edition also has them,
naturally..

It is the Collectors CD Rom edition. And VDMSound does not works in
Win98, it seems...

agh ha escrito:
> <alvaromg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to play the old TIE Fighter game from LucasArts, installed
> > in a win98. My problem is the sound setup utility does not recognizes
> > my sound card in the Express setup; the card is a PCI Yamaha DS-XG
>
> I assume this is the DOS version. I would recommend getting a copy of X-Wing
> and Tie Fighter The Collector's edition from 1997, I think. It is the only
> edition which features X-Wing in a 640*480 graphics with updated textures
> and 3d video card support. Tie Fighter from that edition also has them,
> naturally..

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<alvaromg@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to play the old TIE Fighter game from LucasArts, installed
> in a win98. My problem is the sound setup utility does not recognizes
> my sound card in the Express setup; the card is a PCI Yamaha DS-XG
> A301-G50. I also tried setting the different cards offered in the
> Custom setup, with nearly every setting combination, but no luck, no
> sound or midi at all. BTW, the card is installed in windows and sound
> works.
>
> The card settings are port 220, IRQ 3 and DMA 1 (or could be IRQ 1 and
> DMA 3, not sure).
>
> I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks,
> Alvaro Medina

I dont know if it will work but you could try vdmsound
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Well finally I could run it under DOSBox, both under win98 an linux.
Problem is the game is very slow, and my machine is quite a monster so
it should be much faster. I will try other settings and will tell
you...

> Well finally I could run it under DOSBox, both under win98 an linux.
> Problem is the game is very slow, and my machine is quite a monster so
> it should be much faster. I will try other settings and will tell
> you...

Did you try increasing the number of CPU cycles (something like ctrl-+/-)
for this game?

BTW, there is this TIE Fighter® Collector's CD (1994)

and this
X-Wing® Collector Series (1998)

edition.

The second is what I was talking about and it should use DirectX and
DirectSound, I believe, regardless of which soundcard you have. Plus you get
better graphics..