Does anybody have experience to setup to 2 HD's?

buletbugs

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Hi,

I've been trying the last 2 weeks to set up these 2 HD' to no avail. Numerous people have sent me messages but nothing is working. Finally this is how far I've gotten.

I have gateway 1.7 mgz intel system.

I have new HD from gateway and I put in old HD MAXTOR

If I plug in each HD separate and start up both work fine.
The new HD system has WINXP on it.
The old HD has win98 on it.
As I said...plugging them in by themselves and starting up they both work perfectly by themselves.

Now....

When I start up XP...the computer asks me..do you want to start...

WIN 98 or
WIN XP

Obviously XP see both HD's. I installed a BOOTCHOOSER freeware and it's asks what system I want. If I choose XP it works fine. But...when I choose WIN98 I get this message.

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem.
could not read from the boot disk.
check boot .. and disk hardware
please check the window documentation about hard ware disk configuring your hardware reference manuals for addition info

okay..now in the bios i have....set
the new XP HD as primary master
the old WIN98 as primary slave.

the jumpers on XP is set for MASTER DUAL DRIVE
the jumpers on 98 is set for Primary SLAVE

Now..right now in order to get to WIN 98 I have to go into the BIOS setup and change the booting of HD to

the old 98 to boot first and XP to boot second.
The jumpers still stay the same.

Now...win 98 will start....that way.
But...win 98 does not recognized the WIN xP drive.

I tried the ADD HARDWARE..still no good.

I can't get win 98 to see the WIN XP from I start it from
win 98

Why do I have to go into the bios to set which HD to boot first in order to get to where I want to go?

The BOOTCHOOSER should let me go there byitself.

WHAT IS WRONG?
WHAT IS WRONG?
WHAT IS WRONG?

HELP ME PLEASE!

Buletbugs

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Mmmmm. Its a gateway. You have been 'Delled'.
What is the XP drive formatted as?
If its NTFS thats why win98 cannot recognise it.

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
You have the same problem I had,but only in reverse.Mine had to do with what the boot order was when I installed XP on the additional drive.I didnt use any third party software though. I fixed mine by simply re-installing xp on a drive set as a single drive.The bootloader option comes up,and I can select what operating system that I want to use.I only get the bootloader with one bios booting order though.If I reverse the boot order in the bios,the operating system on that hard drive boots automatically.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I think I know what's wrong. WinXp uses NTFS, while Win98 uses FAT32. NTFS can see FAT32, but not vice versa. There is probably some conflict between the two filesytems, or you could just blame it on Gateway.

My advice is to backup anything you want to save from the Win98 hd, and reformat it with NTFS. Then install Win2k on the old Win98 Hd. That should work. :0

P.s. Remember to specify what HD you want the computer to boot from first in your Bios.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I dont have the Gateway part of his problem,only the dual boot dilema.For me it wasnt a ntfs issue as I formatted the xp drive with fat32 so it would not be a problem. I believe that your only able to get one bootloader screen. I tried to get two,and never could make it work.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.