F4AF Is this just a patch?

I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?
22 answers Last reply
More about f4af patch
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    <drtee@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
    > It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
    > my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
    > they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
    > original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
    > out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
    > F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

    I was looking at my box today and seeing it's called "Falcon 4.0 Allied
    Force" I thought: so with all these fixed and new features, just what the
    hell else would they have to do to justify calling it Falcon 4.1??!

    Si
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    drtee@cox.net wrote:
    > I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
    > It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
    > my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
    > they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
    > original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
    > out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
    > F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

    ?????

    I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a
    retail game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

    I'm not sure what you mean that you have to go abck to the original
    manual for "how to fly the training missions etc." There are extremely
    detailed instructions right in the PDF manual that comes with F4:AF that
    show you *exactly* what to do in any particular training mission. For
    instance, pp. 14-16 (Training Mission 1), pp. 19-26 (Training Mission
    2), pp. 29-32 (Training Mission 3). You get the idea.

    James
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > drtee@cox.net wrote:
    > > I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
    > > It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
    > > my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
    > > they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
    > > original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
    > > out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
    > > F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?
    > >

    > ?????
    >
    > I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a
    > retail game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

    <snip>

    > James

    You must not be familiar with EA Sports............<g>
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > drtee@cox.net wrote:
    > ?????

    ????? yourself!

    > I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
    > game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

    Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
    released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
    stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.

    AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    we had to pay for it.

    You dig... Dog?

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    > I'm not sure what you mean that you have to go abck to the original manual
    > for "how to fly the training missions etc." There are extremely detailed
    > instructions right in the PDF manual that comes with F4:AF that show you
    > *exactly* what to do in any particular training mission. For instance,
    > pp. 14-16 (Training Mission 1), pp. 19-26 (Training Mission 2), pp. 29-32
    > (Training Mission 3). You get the idea.
    >
    > James
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On 25 Jul 2005 09:41:15 -0700, drtee@cox.net wrote:

    >The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
    >they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
    >original falcon manual.
    Mine does They are kind of hidden in the section that a training
    mission might be about. For example if you look up Mavericks at the
    end of that section it tells you how to fly the mav training mission.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >> drtee@cox.net wrote:
    >> ?????
    >
    >????? yourself!
    >
    >> I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
    >> game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?
    >
    >Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
    >released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
    >stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.
    >
    >AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    >the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    >bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    >super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    >we had to pay for it.
    >
    >You dig... Dog?
    Randy Jackson is that you Dog?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    > the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    > bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    > super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    > we had to pay for it.

    There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.

    Nats
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
    <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    >> the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    >> bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    >> super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    >> we had to pay for it.
    >
    >There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
    I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
    what happens
    Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
    (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
    on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
    MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
    weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
    F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
    radar.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    >Nats

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    cccc@home.net wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>drtee@cox.net wrote:
    >>>?????
    >>
    >>????? yourself!
    >>

    >>>I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
    >>>game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?
    >>
    >>Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
    >>released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
    >>stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.
    >>
    >>AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    >>the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    >>bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    >>super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    >>we had to pay for it.
    >>
    >>You dig... Dog?
    >
    > Randy Jackson is that you Dog?

    No it's just a sad git.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    <bp@home.net> wrote in message
    > I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
    > what happens
    > Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
    > (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
    > on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
    > MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
    > weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
    > F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
    > radar.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem?

    Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im convinced
    that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar generally -
    sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled radar
    display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the 3D
    section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.

    Nats
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:13:18 +0100, "Nats"
    <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    ><bp@home.net> wrote in message
    >> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
    >> what happens
    >> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
    >> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
    >> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
    >> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
    >> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
    >> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
    >> radar.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    >Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im convinced
    >that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar generally -
    >sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled radar
    >display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the 3D
    >section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.

    Kind of sounds like you have a graphic card driver problem.

    >Nats

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    <cccc@home.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >>You dig... Dog?
    > Randy Jackson is that you Dog?

    Bros were saying that when I was in the army from '76-'79...
    Sort of before Randy Jackson made the phrase famous.

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im
    > convinced that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar
    > generally - sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled
    > radar

    OK well for starters, what is up with that? Falcon 4 was released in
    1998. No??? How is it possible to still have it not sorted out after
    7 years. I mean sheesh.

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    > display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the
    > 3D section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.
    >
    > Nats

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I can't replicate this on my system. My F4 version was 1.0.1.50613. However,
    there is a patch to download to take it up to version 2.0 right now.

    RobP

    <bp@home.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
    > <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
    >>> the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
    >>> bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
    >>> super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
    >>> we had to pay for it.
    >>
    >>There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
    > I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
    > what happens
    > Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
    > (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
    > on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
    > MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
    > weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
    > F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
    > radar.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem?
    >>
    >>Nats

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I meant the new patch version is 1.0.2.50752

    "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I can't replicate this on my system. My F4 version was 1.0.1.50613.
    >However, there is a patch to download to take it up to version 2.0 right
    >now.
    >
    > RobP
    >
    > <bp@home.net> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
    >> <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
    >> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
    >> what happens
    >> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
    >> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
    >> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
    >> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
    >> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
    >> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
    >> radar.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have this problem?
    >>>
    >>>Nats

  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:37:12 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >What patch? I never heard of an F4 AF patch. Are you saying there
    >is such a patch? If so, when I run the game, why does it not install this
    >patch? Seems like someone dropped the ball or something :-)

    I didn't know there was a patch either but I just used the updater
    file and it updated the game to v1.0.2.50725. You will need the F4AF
    disk in the cdrom drive to complete the update.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Doesn't really matter whether its a patch or a new version, the
    important thing is whether you enjoy playing it or not.

    The original splash screen said "The new benchmark in flight sim
    technology" was true then and is still true today.

    ETV

    drtee@cox.net wrote:
    > I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
    > It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
    > my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
    > they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
    > original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
    > out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
    > F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Its probably one of the most complex games on the market ever. Its certainly
    one of the best games Ive ever played. Its not really surprising that there
    are bugs. Theyre just frustrating when you are in a great mission and you
    crash out. My frustration doesnt mean I dont appreciate the work thats gone
    into the game.
    Nats
    > "Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im
    >> convinced that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar
    >> generally - sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a
    >> garbled radar
    >
    > OK well for starters, what is up with that? Falcon 4 was released in
    > 1998. No??? How is it possible to still have it not sorted out after
    > 7 years. I mean sheesh.
    >
    > --
    >
    > gcisko@hotmail.com
    >
    >> display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the
    >> 3D section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.
    >>
    >> Nats

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    In article <3fudnTonvJh8w3XfRVn-og@comcast.com>, Greg Cisko
    <gcisko@hotmail.com> writes
    >Thanks I updated.

    Updated mine too. Does anyone know what the update actually
    fixes/improves?
    --
    Sean Black
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    http://www.lead-pursuit.com/news.htm

    Icer

    >On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:18:22 +0100, Sean Black <sean@bucks-aggs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >In article <3fudnTonvJh8w3XfRVn-og@comcast.com>, Greg Cisko
    ><gcisko@hotmail.com> writes
    >>Thanks I updated.
    >>
    >Updated mine too. Does anyone know what the update actually
    >fixes/improves?
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Greg Cisko wrote:
    > Thanks I updated.
    >
    > Also for my long time friends on the flightsim NG, I have a treat for
    > you. Check out http://bluechainlightning.net and click on "The Phoenix"
    > link. Break out the bic lighters and titty cams :-)

    If the band is called Triangle, how come the CD cover has an oval on it
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    You can't control the flame :-)

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

    > Greg Cisko wrote:
    >> Thanks I updated.
    >>
    >> Also for my long time friends on the flightsim NG, I have a treat for
    >> you. Check out http://bluechainlightning.net and click on "The Phoenix"
    >> link. Break out the bic lighters and titty cams :-)
    >>

    > If the band is called Triangle, how come the CD cover has an oval on it

PC gaming Video Games