F4AF Is this just a patch?

I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

<drtee@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
> It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
> my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
> they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
> original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
> out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
> F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

I was looking at my box today and seeing it's called "Falcon 4.0 Allied
Force" I thought: so with all these fixed and new features, just what the
hell else would they have to do to justify calling it Falcon 4.1??!

Si

drtee@cox.net wrote:
> I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
> It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
> my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
> they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
> original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
> out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
> F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

?????

I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a
retail game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

I'm not sure what you mean that you have to go abck to the original
manual for "how to fly the training missions etc." There are extremely
detailed instructions right in the PDF manual that comes with F4:AF that
show you *exactly* what to do in any particular training mission. For
instance, pp. 14-16 (Training Mission 1), pp. 19-26 (Training Mission
2), pp. 29-32 (Training Mission 3). You get the idea.

James

jp

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> drtee@cox.net wrote:
> > I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
> > It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
> > my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
> > they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
> > original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
> > out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
> > F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?
> >

> ?????
>
> I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a
> retail game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

<snip>

> James

You must not be familiar with EA Sports............<g>

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> drtee@cox.net wrote:
> ?????

????? yourself!

> I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
> game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?

Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.

AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
we had to pay for it.

You dig... Dog?

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

> I'm not sure what you mean that you have to go abck to the original manual
> for "how to fly the training missions etc." There are extremely detailed
> instructions right in the PDF manual that comes with F4:AF that show you
> *exactly* what to do in any particular training mission. For instance,
> pp. 14-16 (Training Mission 1), pp. 19-26 (Training Mission 2), pp. 29-32
> (Training Mission 3). You get the idea.
>
> James

CCCC

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

On 25 Jul 2005 09:41:15 -0700, drtee@cox.net wrote:

>The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
>they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
>original falcon manual.
Mine does They are kind of hidden in the section that a training
mission might be about. For example if you look up Mavericks at the
end of that section it tells you how to fly the mav training mission.

CCCC

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> drtee@cox.net wrote:
>> ?????
>
>????? yourself!
>
>> I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
>> game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?
>
>Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
>released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
>stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.
>
>AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
>the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
>bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
>super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
>we had to pay for it.
>
>You dig... Dog?
Randy Jackson is that you Dog?

"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
> the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
> bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
> super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
> we had to pay for it.

There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.

Nats

BP

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
>> the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
>> bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
>> super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
>> we had to pay for it.
>
>There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
what happens
Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
(after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
radar.

Anyone else have this problem?

cccc@home.net wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>drtee@cox.net wrote:
>>>?????
>>
>>????? yourself!
>>

>>>I assume you *bought* the game, right? Why would you think that a retail
>>>game which comes with its own box, manual, etc. is a patch?
>>
>>Because - DUH F4 should have been squared away when it was
>>released. Then we have all the dedicated users doing the Free falcon
>>stuff along with all the other realism patches. So now Allied Force.
>>
>>AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
>>the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
>>bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
>>super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
>>we had to pay for it.
>>
>>You dig... Dog?
>
> Randy Jackson is that you Dog?

No it's just a sad git.

<bp@home.net> wrote in message
> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
> what happens
> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
> radar.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im convinced
that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar generally -
sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled radar
display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the 3D
section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.

Nats

BP

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:13:18 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

><bp@home.net> wrote in message
>> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
>> what happens
>> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
>> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
>> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
>> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
>> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
>> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
>> radar.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>
>Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im convinced
>that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar generally -
>sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled radar
>display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the 3D
>section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.

Kind of sounds like you have a graphic card driver problem.

<cccc@home.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:24:28 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>You dig... Dog?
> Randy Jackson is that you Dog?

Bros were saying that when I was in the army from '76-'79...
Sort of before Randy Jackson made the phrase famous.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sorry I thought you meant not being able to see ground targets. Im
> convinced that there are plenty of bugs regarding use of the ground radar
> generally - sometimes I get a frozen display and sometimes I get a garbled
> radar

OK well for starters, what is up with that? Falcon 4 was released in
1998. No??? How is it possible to still have it not sorted out after
7 years. I mean sheesh.

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

> display - and I'm personally still getting lots of CTDs in and out of the
> 3D section of the game. The instability is rather frustrating.
>
> Nats

I can't replicate this on my system. My F4 version was 1.0.1.50613. However,
there is a patch to download to take it up to version 2.0 right now.

RobP

<bp@home.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
> <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> AF better be squared away. If the ground radar issue is for real then
>>> the AF people can screw them selves. I mean after this amount of time,
>>> bugs are not OK and something to be patched. AF is essentially the
>>> super patch to make F4 what is was supposed to be. And (DUH again)
>>> we had to pay for it.
>>
>>There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
> what happens
> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
> radar.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>Nats

I meant the new patch version is 1.0.2.50752

"ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I can't replicate this on my system. My F4 version was 1.0.1.50613.
>However, there is a patch to download to take it up to version 2.0 right
>now.
>
> RobP
>
> <bp@home.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:34 +0100, "Nats"
>> <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>There is no ground radar issue. Its fine.
>> I seem to have one, how ever it could be a learning thing. Here is
>> what happens
>> Whenever I go on a mission with A-G weapons if I switch to A-A weapons
>> (after I drop some bombs) I can not get the ground radar to come back
>> on in the MFD's. I get the right A-G modes on the HUD and the other
>> MFD but the radar seems stuck on A-A mode and yea I still have A-G
>> weapons. I have tried to hit the master mode keys (backspace) and the
>> F2 key and the A-G button on the up front panel but all I get is A-A
>> radar.
>>
>> Anyone else have this problem?
>>>
>>>Nats

fisher

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:37:12 -0500, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What patch? I never heard of an F4 AF patch. Are you saying there
>is such a patch? If so, when I run the game, why does it not install this
>patch? Seems like someone dropped the ball or something :)

I didn't know there was a patch either but I just used the updater
file and it updated the game to v1.0.2.50725. You will need the F4AF
disk in the cdrom drive to complete the update.

Doesn't really matter whether its a patch or a new version, the
important thing is whether you enjoy playing it or not.

The original splash screen said "The new benchmark in flight sim
technology" was true then and is still true today.

ETV

drtee@cox.net wrote:
> I have had this sim for a week and am confused as to what it really is.
> It seems very stable(as reported). The graphics are a little dark on
> my machine but certainly okay. The pdf manual is a pain in the ass as
> they all are. But even the pdf manual doesn't have the how to's as the
> original falcon manual. So I have to go back to the F4 manual to find
> out how to fly the training missions etc. Therefore does this make
> F4AF merely a stabilizing patch?

Its probably one of the most complex games on the market ever. Its certainly
one of the best games Ive ever played. Its not really surprising that there
are bugs. Theyre just frustrating when you are in a great mission and you
crash out. My frustration doesnt mean I dont appreciate the work thats gone
into the game.
Nats

In article <3fudnTonvJh8w3XfRVn-og@comcast.com>, Greg Cisko
<gcisko@hotmail.com> writes
>Thanks I updated.

Updated mine too. Does anyone know what the update actually
fixes/improves?
--
Sean Black

http://www.lead-pursuit.com/news.htm

Icer

Greg Cisko wrote:
> Thanks I updated.
>
> Also for my long time friends on the flightsim NG, I have a treat for
> you. Check out http://bluechainlightning.net and click on "The Phoenix"
> link. Break out the bic lighters and titty cams :)

If the band is called Triangle, how come the CD cover has an oval on it

You can't control the flame :)

--

gcisko@hotmail.com