Which is the better of the two routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tborGU6428

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade my old router Linksys WRT54G, I'm into online gaming and downloading big files and streaming videos, I researched and found these 2 brands Netgear R6300 Dual Band and Asus RT-AC660 Dual Band, all the same price at $199, depending what web store you go to (+ or - $1.04). Which is of the two would you recommend? Thank you in advance!

Solution
Neither. Stay away from 802.11AC products. They buy you nothing since there is no firm standard for another year. There is incompatibility even with a single vendor product line. This is the same problem everyone who ran and bought pre-n equipment found.

Even ignoring the AC stuff you have to upgrade all your PC equipment to match so unless you plan to go dual band and N with everything you might as well just keep using your current router until you can upgrade everything.
Although routers try to say they can run b,g,n and 2.4g and 5g all at the same time they really can't . They switch the radios back and forth which degrades the performance, you are best off if you can run just one single combination for all your equipment...

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Neither. Stay away from 802.11AC products. They buy you nothing since there is no firm standard for another year. There is incompatibility even with a single vendor product line. This is the same problem everyone who ran and bought pre-n equipment found.

Even ignoring the AC stuff you have to upgrade all your PC equipment to match so unless you plan to go dual band and N with everything you might as well just keep using your current router until you can upgrade everything.
Although routers try to say they can run b,g,n and 2.4g and 5g all at the same time they really can't . They switch the radios back and forth which degrades the performance, you are best off if you can run just one single combination for all your equipment and lock the router to one single mode.

Solution

tborGU6428

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

thanks for the reply john, as a mater of fact I am upgrading my mobo to Asus Maximus V Formula, and it comes with dual band pci adapter, but as you stated that the switching of the radios back and forth degrades the performance, maybe I will wait until the beginning of next year to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS