I need motorola phone tools: Could someone please post??

TIA
REDDOG
18 answers Last reply
More about motorola phone tools post

    "BBJD" <Me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    > TIA
    > REDDOG

    http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/

    you can download version 1.23 and the 2.16 update on that site. Then run
    liveupdate within the program to get up to the latest version 3.19e

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <41dd7f84$0$99172$45beb828@newscene.com> on 6 Jan 2005 12:15:12 -0600,
    "BBJD" <Me@myhouse.com> wrote:

    >TIA
    >REDDOG

    Not free. Readily available from Motorola, BVRP, and dealers.

    > Not free. Readily available from Motorola, BVRP, and dealers.

    Unless it's something really cool, the service providers should make basic
    "phone use" software available for free (or included cost, depending on how
    you look at it). Phonebook, preferences, ringtones, the whole nine yards. In
    no way am I suggesting that the authors of such products get stiffed, just
    that the providers stop trying to screw their customers for these extras.
    And they do.

    Scott Vita

    It's a competitive market and the ads have to show a lower price than
    the other guy's. So, the only way to bring people in the door is to
    offer a stripped box and upsell the extras. This is somewhat unique to
    the US market with heavily subsidized phones. When I bought a v600 from
    a Hong Kong dealer the box included the phone, battery, charger & book
    as expected plus a bluetooth headset, car cord, data cable, MPT disk and
    extra set of covers. The price was little more but the overall package
    was a better albeit more expensive value. Users aren't being screwed if
    the package is cheaper without the extras. They can then pick and choose
    and just pay for what they need.
    As for bundling the software, there's just not that much demand for it.
    Less than 10% of users actually connect their phones to a PC. Despite
    all the features and capabilities of the phones most people still just
    use them to make and receive phone calls and, in the case of the younger
    market, use SMS.

    From:Scott Vita
    sfvita@yahoo.com

    "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message

    > It's a competitive market and the ads have to show a lower price than the
    > other guy's. So, the only way to bring people in the door is to offer a
    > stripped box and upsell the extras. This is somewhat unique to the US
    > market with heavily subsidized phones. When I bought a v600 from a Hong
    > Kong dealer the box included the phone, battery, charger & book as
    > expected plus a bluetooth headset, car cord, data cable, MPT disk and
    > extra set of covers. The price was little more but the overall package was
    > a better albeit more expensive value.

    I hear that. You paid too much.

    > Users aren't being screwed if the package is cheaper without the extras.
    > They can then pick and choose and just pay for what they need.

    True, but a $1.99 for a shitty midi of a popular track is a rip-off. Don't
    try and tell me that the providers aren't trying to scam that deal.

    > As for bundling the software, there's just not that much demand for it.

    There will be, as users become more aware. Most people will just require
    basic stuff, like PC or MAC access to the phone they bought and paid for.
    It's the obvious attempt to restrict such access that feeds the hacker
    market. Make it worth paying for, and people will pay you for it. Make it
    not worth paying for, and people will steal it from you.

    Scott Vita

    Scott Vita

    I paid too much? But you don't even know how much I paid. I paid a fair
    price and got a package of goods for less than what the sum of the parts
    would have cost. The Bluetooth headset alone would have been more than
    the extra amount I paid.

    Ringtones are, to me and you, overpriced. If enough people weren't
    willing to pay the price, the price would come down - but for now there
    are enough people willing to pay the price. It's called a marketing
    opportunity. Free market forces will dictate the price. It's not a
    ripoff or a scam if the perceived value is there, after all, it's not a
    necessity item. And don't forget it's not just the carriers charging
    that much, it's independent dealers/websites as well.

    There are a number of competing companies offering software to access
    the phone from a PC. Should they all be required to give it away or just
    the seller of the phone? Should the seller be required to give you your
    choice of free products or be allowed to dictate which free product you
    should get? Answer: You want the software you have to buy it or roll
    your own and make it freeware.

    If something is not worth the price don't buy it. Just because something
    is "overpriced" doesn't mean that you're entitled to get it for free.
    One who steals it is a thief and no amount of justification changes
    that. Like I said earlier, this isn't milk for the baby it's software
    for a phone - hardly a basic need.

    Lastly, a true hacker is not one who steals. A true hacker will learn
    how to interface with the phone and develop a product superior to the
    others and offer it as freeware or shareware. Linux is the result of a
    true hacker's efforts.

    From:Scott Vita
    sfvita@yahoo.com

    >I paid too much? But you don't even know how much I paid. I paid a fair
    >price and got a package of goods for less than what the sum of the parts
    >would have cost. The Bluetooth headset alone would have been more than the
    >extra amount I paid.

    I retract. I don't know what you paid. I am currently annoyed by phone
    service providers and let my frustration get the best of me. I apologize.

    > Ringtones are, to me and you, overpriced. If enough people weren't willing
    > to pay the price, the price would come down - but for now there are enough
    > people willing to pay the price. It's called a marketing opportunity. Free
    > market forces will dictate the price. It's not a ripoff or a scam if the
    > perceived value is there, after all, it's not a necessity item. And don't
    > forget it's not just the carriers charging that much, it's independent
    > dealers/websites as well.

    The problem is that it's not a free market. At least in my experience
    (Verizon, Nextel) the providers try to force you to buy their stuff or do
    without. That's why people seek hacks in order to gain control of their
    phones. I am a musician and when I realized that modern cell phones have a
    midi synth and/or digital sound player I naturally sought to gain control
    over it, both for fun and function. I guess it's not enough that I buy the
    phone and service, now they want to charge me an exorbitant price to make
    full use of what I've bought. Take note; I'm not interested in stealing
    anything, I just don't like getting ripped-off. Again, this is what feeds
    the internet hacker market.

    > There are a number of competing companies offering software to access the
    > phone from a PC. Should they all be required to give it away or just the
    > seller of the phone?

    I believe that the provider should offer an open platform access to the
    phone. In my experience, they do not.

    > Lastly, a true hacker is not one who steals. A true hacker will learn how
    > to interface with the phone and develop a product superior to the others
    > and offer it as freeware or shareware. Linux is the result of a true
    > hacker's efforts.

    Semantics. Bottom line: If people sense they are being ripped-off they will
    seek a work-around and take pleasure in "beating the man". If they sense
    they are getting a square deal, they won't bother. You seem to agree with me
    that the ringtone thing is a rip-off. Like I said before, as a musician I
    could create all manner of great ringtones. I would like to use these with
    the phone that I own. I would like to share them for free with other phone
    users. The providers work hard to prevent this because instead of just being
    happy with selling you the phones and service, they want to screw people for
    the little extras. I believe that concept will go the way of DIVX.

    Scott Vita

    What's preventing you from creating and offering free ringtones? Surely
    not some corporate conspiracy! There are plenty of sites you can find
    for ringtones - you're not limited to your carrier or phone
    manufacturer. When people stop being willing to pay $2/tone the price
    will drop.
    As for the requirement for a cable and software, the price is not
    unreasonable so what's the point? Should a car dealer or manufacturer be
    required to provide a free tow hitch on every truck just because it can
    tow things or is it more reasonable to ask only those who actually want
    to tow things to pay for the hitch?

    From:Scott Vita
    sfvita@yahoo.com

    > What's preventing you from creating and offering free ringtones? Surely
    > not some corporate conspiracy!

    That's exactly what it is and you know it.

    There are plenty of sites you can find
    > for ringtones - you're not limited to your carrier or phone manufacturer.
    > When people stop being willing to pay $2/tone the price will drop.

    My ringtones are free as they should be. Meanwhile, you will champion the
    likes of these rip-off artists.

    > As for the requirement for a cable and software, the price is not
    > unreasonable so what's the point? Should a car dealer or manufacturer be
    > required to provide a free tow hitch on every truck just because it can
    > tow things or is it more reasonable to ask only those who actually want to
    > tow things to pay for the hitch?

    You are babbling. I just want access to the hardware I paid for. I'm not
    asking for anything that will cost the provider a dime. I pay for the phone
    and the service. What do they care what ringtones or phonebook software I
    use?

    Answer: They don't, but they will try and screw you every which way if you
    let them.

    Scott Vita
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Then what your telling us is that there should be no charge for any
    software since it should have come with the hardware.

    Sure and Gas should be free.

    Scott Vita wrote:
    > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>What's preventing you from creating and offering free ringtones? Surely
    >>not some corporate conspiracy!
    >

    > That's exactly what it is and you know it.
    >

    > There are plenty of sites you can find
    >
    >>for ringtones - you're not limited to your carrier or phone manufacturer.
    >>When people stop being willing to pay $2/tone the price will drop.
    >

    > My ringtones are free as they should be. Meanwhile, you will champion the
    > likes of these rip-off artists.
    >

    >>As for the requirement for a cable and software, the price is not
    >>unreasonable so what's the point? Should a car dealer or manufacturer be
    >>required to provide a free tow hitch on every truck just because it can
    >>tow things or is it more reasonable to ask only those who actually want to
    >>tow things to pay for the hitch?
    >

    > You are babbling. I just want access to the hardware I paid for. I'm not
    > asking for anything that will cost the provider a dime. I pay for the phone
    > and the service. What do they care what ringtones or phonebook software I
    > use?
    >
    > Answer: They don't, but they will try and screw you every which way if you
    > let them.
    >

    > Scott Vita

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "FJG" <xxx@comcast> wrote in message

    > Then what your telling us is that there should be no charge for any
    > software since it should have come with the hardware.

    Nope. I'm telling you that cell phone companies will try and screw you for
    stupid little things if you let them. Is there really any doubt about this?

    Bend over for them if you wish, FJG. I won't, and I gaurantee that I'm not
    alone.

    Scott Vita
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Let's see, I didn't buy my phone from my mobile carrier, didn't buy the
    software or any accessories from them and have never bought a ringtone,
    screensaver, battery, cord, case or anything else from them. All I pay
    to them is the $45.98/mo for 1000 min & T-Zones (plus tax of course) so
    I really don't see how they're taking advantage of me or have some
    corporate conspiracy going. Sure, they OFFER those things at prices I
    feel are too high, but rather than grabbing my ankles I use them to walk
    down the street or surf the net for deals I find that are better. In
    fact, when I first signed with TMO I did so at an authorized reseller
    who gave me a free v300 that I sold for $228! I came out ahead on the
    deal.

    They don't care what screensaver, ringtone or software I use and
    they've done nothing to prevent me from making full use of my phones
    features. While they'd be pleased to me sell me their offerings they've
    never tried to stop me from buying those things elsewhere. Indeed, I
    wasn't happy with Version 2 of MPT which was bundled with my phone so I
    BOUGHT a copy of DataPilot which met my needs better (for which a new
    release is due next week that will support the v3). I've found all the
    ringtones I want for free and made my own screensaver/wallpaper.

    The point of this whole thread remains unchanged; just because you feel
    the price of something is more than you want to pay or you somehow feel
    entitled to get something for nothing does not justify stealing it. If
    you don't like the terms under which your phone was sold to you then you
    shouldn't have bought it. If you don't want to or can't afford to pay
    the price it's NOT OK to steal it - even if you can get away with it.
    And THAT'S not babbling!

    From:Scott Vita
    sfvita@yahoo.com

    > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> What's preventing you from creating and offering free ringtones?
    >> Surely not some corporate conspiracy!
    >

    > That's exactly what it is and you know it.
    >

    > There are plenty of sites you can find
    >> for ringtones - you're not limited to your carrier or phone
    >> manufacturer. When people stop being willing to pay $2/tone the
    >> price will drop.
    >

    > My ringtones are free as they should be. Meanwhile, you will champion
    > the likes of these rip-off artists.
    >

    >> As for the requirement for a cable and software, the price is not
    >> unreasonable so what's the point? Should a car dealer or
    >> manufacturer be required to provide a free tow hitch on every truck
    >> just because it can tow things or is it more reasonable to ask only
    >> those who actually want to tow things to pay for the hitch?
    >

    > You are babbling. I just want access to the hardware I paid for. I'm
    > not asking for anything that will cost the provider a dime. I pay for
    > the phone and the service. What do they care what ringtones or
    > phonebook software I use?
    >
    > Answer: They don't, but they will try and screw you every which way
    > if you let them.
    >

    > Scott Vita
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > Let's see, I didn't buy my phone from my mobile carrier, didn't buy the
    > software or any accessories from them and have never bought a ringtone,
    > screensaver, battery, cord, case or anything else from them.

    You are likely unique in that regard.

    > I really don't see how they're taking advantage of me or have some
    > corporate conspiracy going. Sure, they OFFER those things at prices I feel
    > are too high, but rather than grabbing my ankles I use them to walk down
    > the street or surf the net for deals I find that are better. In fact,
    > when I first signed with TMO I did so at an authorized reseller who gave
    > me a free v300 that I sold for $228! I came out ahead on the deal.

    Wow dude. You are some kind of cell phone shopper. I'm incredibly envious.

    > The point of this whole thread remains unchanged; just because you feel
    > the price of something is more than you want to pay or you somehow feel
    > entitled to get something for nothing does not justify stealing it. If
    > you don't like the terms under which your phone was sold to you then you
    > shouldn't have bought it. If you don't want to or can't afford to pay the
    > price it's NOT OK to steal it - even if you can get away with it.

    I agree wholeheatedly. Stealing is not cool. Ripping people off (which you
    have not disputed) is equally uncool. It's basically the same thing.

    My position is that if you bring a product to market at a fair price people
    will gladly pay you for it. You try and screw people, you'll get bit in the
    ass. Charging for ringtones and phone software= Big Screwjob. Very simple.
    People won't stand for it, and that's why there is a robust internet hacker
    market.

    I don't know why we are wasting time discussing this, and frankly I've
    grown tired of it. I'm just telling you the way it is.

    Scott Vita
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    You do sound like a Script Kiddie

    Scott Vita wrote:
    > "FJG" <xxx@comcast> wrote in message
    >

    >>Then what your telling us is that there should be no charge for any
    >>software since it should have come with the hardware.
    >

    > Nope. I'm telling you that cell phone companies will try and screw you for
    > stupid little things if you let them. Is there really any doubt about this?
    >

    > Bend over for them if you wish, FJG. I won't, and I gaurantee that I'm not
    > alone.
    >

    > Scott Vita

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    "Scott Vita" <sfvita@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Let's see, I didn't buy my phone from my mobile carrier, didn't buy the
    >> software or any accessories from them and have never bought a ringtone,
    >> screensaver, battery, cord, case or anything else from them.
    >

    > You are likely unique in that regard.
    >

    >> I really don't see how they're taking advantage of me or have some
    >> corporate conspiracy going. Sure, they OFFER those things at prices I
    >> feel are too high, but rather than grabbing my ankles I use them to walk
    >> down the street or surf the net for deals I find that are better. In
    >> fact, when I first signed with TMO I did so at an authorized reseller who
    >> gave me a free v300 that I sold for $228! I came out ahead on the deal.
    >

    > Wow dude. You are some kind of cell phone shopper. I'm incredibly envious.
    >

    >> The point of this whole thread remains unchanged; just because you feel
    >> the price of something is more than you want to pay or you somehow feel
    >> entitled to get something for nothing does not justify stealing it. If
    >> you don't like the terms under which your phone was sold to you then you
    >> shouldn't have bought it. If you don't want to or can't afford to pay the
    >> price it's NOT OK to steal it - even if you can get away with it.
    >
    > I agree wholeheatedly. Stealing is not cool. Ripping people off (which you
    > have not disputed) is equally uncool. It's basically the same thing.
    >

    > My position is that if you bring a product to market at a fair price
    > people will gladly pay you for it. You try and screw people, you'll get
    > bit in the ass. Charging for ringtones and phone software= Big Screwjob.
    > Very simple. People won't stand for it, and that's why there is a robust
    > internet hacker market.
    >

    > I don't know why we are wasting time discussing this, and frankly I've
    > grown tired of it. I'm just telling you the way it is.
    >

    > Scott Vita

    Get em here

    http://motorola.handango.com/entertainment/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=522&jid=8DA5BF642DF9E2D1497642962D992E42&platformId=6&productType=2&productId=93724&sectionId=5409&catalog=50
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    From:bamp
    bampatcenturyteldotnet

    > Get em here
    >
    > http://motorola.handango.com/entertainment/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=522&jid=8DA5BF642DF9E2D1497642962D992E42&platformId=6&productType=2&productId=93724&sectionId=5409&catalog=50

    ....or get em at www.shopoem.com for half the cost!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    BruceR wrote:
    > From:bamp
    > bampatcenturyteldotnet
    >>Get em here
    >>http://motorola.handango.com/entertainment/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=522&jid=8DA5BF642DF9E2D1497642962D992E42&platformId=6&productType=2&productId=93724&sectionId=5409&catalog=50
    > ...or get em at www.shopoem.com for half the cost!

    ....with the cable! The first link doesn't include the cable. <waiting
    for someone to pipe up that's corporate greed too - sigh>

    The copy I received was the older v2.x software, but it updates to v3.x.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > You do sound like a Script Kiddie

    Right, and the dude tossing out the juvenile one-liners is the ahem,
    "mature" one. <snicker>

    Scott Vita

Motorola Phones