Sign in with
Your question

Downgrade from Windows 7 to XP

Last response: in Windows 7
February 14, 2010 1:19:13 PM

I bought Windows 7 for my laptop and installed it on both my laptop and desktop before I realized I'd have to buy a second license for the desktop. XP ran smoother on the desktop than 7 so I wanted to downgrade. I placed the full XP CD-Rom into the drive but it does not give the option of booting from CD. The system will not let me enter BIOS setup to select boot from CD. During start up the screen shows Press F2 to enter startup, however, it will not let me. It takes me straight to a screen asking what version of Windows I want to use(Windows 7 or Older Version). If I click on older version it allows me to enter 1 for XP but then asks for administrator password. It does not match the admin password on Windows 7 so I went into Windows 7 and reset the admin password but it still doesn't work.

I have no idea what to try now. I've tried numerous times to enter setup but it will not let me.

More about : downgrade windows

February 14, 2010 3:47:07 PM

asand211 said:
I bought Windows 7 for my laptop and installed it on both my laptop and desktop before I realized I'd have to buy a second license for the desktop. XP ran smoother on the desktop than 7 so I wanted to downgrade. I placed the full XP CD-Rom into the drive but it does not give the option of booting from CD. The system will not let me enter BIOS setup to select boot from CD. During start up the screen shows Press F2 to enter startup, however, it will not let me. It takes me straight to a screen asking what version of Windows I want to use(Windows 7 or Older Version). If I click on older version it allows me to enter 1 for XP but then asks for administrator password. It does not match the admin password on Windows 7 so I went into Windows 7 and reset the admin password but it still doesn't work.

I have no idea what to try now. I've tried numerous times to enter setup but it will not let me.

Okay, update now. I figured out that the bluetooth keyboard USB plug was disabling the regular keyboard. Now, I am able to enter BIOS and boot from disc. When I press enter to install a fresh copy of windows and format the drive to remove Windows 7 it allows me to do that, however, it brings me to the screen where I am asked to press F8 to agree to terms and conditions or ESC to quit and boot windows. Nothing happens when I press F8. I've gone through this several times with no luck. It will allow me to use page up and page down to view terms and I can press ESC to exit and reboot windows. I just can't press F8 to go ahead with the format and XP setup.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2010 6:21:14 PM

Use or borrow another keyboard, and try with that.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2010 3:56:06 AM

after you get the keyboard issues fixed you need to download The Ultimate Boot CD and run hard drive tools and wipe tools to remove the ntldr.dll that format will not remove so you can install XP on the drive
m
l
February 20, 2010 1:01:23 PM

I have the keyboard issues fixed and the Ultimate Boot CD booted. I'm in the wipe tools menu but I don't know where to go from there. Can you give me an idea on what to do next? Thank you.
m
l
!