Attach NAS without router?

illegalfun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi all

I just upgraded to BT infinity Fibre optic boradband...
I now have a modem downstairs with a wi-fi router attached, however I don't have any space nearby to put my NAS...
The modem and router have to be downstairs due to the cables. I want to connect my NAS to my iMAc which is upstairs, but also to my Macbook Air...

The iMac is upstairs and that is where my old router was, so I have my NAS up next to the iMac.
I was thinking that maybe I could get a wi-fi extender with a built in ethernet port and connect the NAS to the extender... or maybe connect the NAS directly into the iMac...

any help would be great.

Will

illegalfun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Solved:

I am going to hid ehte modem in a cupboard which will free up space to then use ethernet

the modem and router have to be downstairs due to the cables.

That's just BT rubbish. Pu it where it suites you best. My router is 30 feet cable length from the Openreach box and I still get the 38Mb I had on day one.

illegalfun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Ok, Thanks

I am keeping it where it is at the moment...

I can't believe how much better infinity is though... I used to get 2Mbs (in theory) but now get about 80Mbs (in theory)
I tried loading a 20 minute long HD youtube clip and it buffered the whole thing before the opening credits finished!

The annoying thing is the extra cost. I tried telling them they'd promised me up to 8Mb for seven years and I only got up to one so they should give me a year at the same price of up to 40 because I'd cheerfully settle for ten.

They wouldn't listen. :LD