Sign in with
Your question

I can't access any programs on windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 17, 2012 2:50:53 PM

Hello, i'm mike and I can't access any programs. I have a dell optiplex gx280, 1 gig ram, intel 4cpu 2.40 ghz 2.29ghz. I think I have a virus, but can't access any programs at all, I get a window that says " Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" I can't even open my anti virus software or even get on the internet. I'm a DJ and use the comp for work, any help?
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 3:11:25 PM

Yup its a nasty virus, and it is tough to get rid of. Better seek help from a pro or reformat. I fixed a cople like this and there are quite a few steps involved.
m
l
May 17, 2012 3:22:11 PM

DJ4rk4ngel30 said:
Hello, i'm mike and I can't access any programs. I have a dell optiplex gx280, 1 gig ram, intel 4cpu 2.40 ghz 2.29ghz. I think I have a virus, but can't access any programs at all, I get a window that says " Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" I can't even open my anti virus software or even get on the internet. I'm a DJ and use the comp for work, any help?

Sounds like malware bro. Try to boot it into safe mode (Hold F8 key before Windows boots up) try to run a program, also download Malwarebytes Anti-malware from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_mal...

Run a scan with the machine in safe mode and post back any results. We may need to run additional anti-virus software but I wanna see what this one picks up first. When you boot into safe mode select "Safe mode with networking" so you can download the software.
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 3:26:41 PM

Your file associations are out of whack. There are a few ways to fix that, but as with most malware, you never know what else it screwed up. I recommend backing up your data and reimaging.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 3:30:33 PM

You can try Kaspersky's free bootable CD (or USB drive) download:
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173

It was the only product I tried that successfully cleaned off a trojan back a few months ago. It can take a while to boot and scan so don't think it's locked up.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 3:39:53 PM

I highly recommend a format of the drive and reinstall windows.

Before you do that, you can try to add this drive as a secondary in another computer (that has up to date virus scanner) and run a virus scanner against it. Backup all you music and data, then proceed with deleting all partitions on that drive before attempting to reinstall windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 4:10:15 PM

Along with that, it's always best to partition a C and D drive and keep all your data on D (and back it up). Once you get a clean, patched version of Windows on, make an image of that using windows built in utility to make it *much* easier to recover if the malware can't be cleaned. Just relead C and any programs installed since the image - your data stays intact.
m
l
!