raid 0 experience

guru

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
I've read a lot about how raid 0 is high risk and that it has no fault tolerance facilities etc...

but I was wondering from experience, what is actually the chance of an error occuring?
Are there other sorts of errors that can occur other than hard disks failing?

Its not really a chance of an error or drive failure, its when, if you're going to run RAID 0 be prepared with a backup of your vital info.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I second that. I have come to accept that all drives fail eventually (well, there may be exeptions). Running RAID0 approximately doubles the risk. So backup you irreplaceable data often!

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Statistically speaking the chances of either one of your RAID0 devices dying is approximated to twice the chance of just one dying. (ive forgotten the exact math)
There are other factors that can kill your array as well, software corruption (especially in a software array) and problems/conflicts with your controller/controller card and other parts of your system.

If you are looking for secutity, go RAID1 or 0+1 or backup often.

<b>Tits a nice day today!
Breast i've ever seen!</b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>