little help please :)

Ub3r_n00b

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
(like so many others) I am planning on building a new system, and already have most of the parts picked out:

-P4 2.53GHz (or 2.8GHz if the price comes down a bit within the next month or 2)

-Gigabyte GA-8SG667 mobo

-Albatron Ti4200P turbo (or a ATI radeon 9700pro if the price comes down a bit within the next month or 2 :)

-other purdy bells and whistles that don't really have much to do with my question (I don't think)

My question is about the memory. This Gigabyte board supports both DDR400 and DDR333, so which should I choose? I am planning on using 2x256mb chips (probably Samsung), so all that has to be decided is what type.

FYI: I will use this rig for many high-demand processes (ie. the latest and greatest gaming [who doesn't this days], video encoding [vcd/svcd], etc) so I need high-end perfomance.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
If you are willing to spend the cash, go for DDR400. If you cant make it run stable, you can always underclock it.

BTW: Have you ever considered RAID0? This is the best thing that has ever happened to my system. For office and every day usage the feeling of speed is just so much more pronounced with a really fast storage solution.

I would rather go for RAID0+DDR333 than no RAID and DDR400. But you may need memory bandwidth more than HD bandwidth.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't to my knowledge get DDR400 (PC3200) direct from Samsung, but there are manufacturers using Samsung chips at the necessary speed on their own modules (samsung makes the faster chips for other applications). Anyway, look at what Anandtech used in their review of the board and consider that brand.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Go DDR400 with Mushkin. They are highly stable modules.

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Corsair makes DDR400 with cas2 instead of 2.5, but i havn't read about any stability issues for either corsair or mushkin.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.