Graphics card for Falcon 4 Allied Force?

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2005 1:54:58 AM

I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to spend
much on a new card....any recommendations please?
Thanks
Tom
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2005 5:58:45 PM

Do you have an AGP or PCI-e bus on your MoBo? I'm assuming not if
you've got on-board graphics. If that is the case, you'll probably get
less than optimal performance.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2005 8:14:21 PM

I thought I had an AGP slot as well. Luckily my Dell Dimension is just
that easy to open up, and also lucky that I upgraded the card of my
last computer so I know what an AGP slot should look like. Imagine my
surprise to learn that I had accidentally joined the world of on-board
video graphics.
Related resources
August 10, 2005 9:10:15 PM

"Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
spend
> much on a new card....any recommendations please?
> Thanks
> Tom

Falcon, including AF, is much more cpu intensive, than video card
intensive. Spend your $ on that instead.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 1:44:28 AM

Get the best one you can afford! Radeon seem very reliable and dont seem to
have as many graphical problems with games as Nvidia do these days for some
reason. Try Ebay

"Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
> spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
> Thanks
> Tom

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 2:06:37 AM

Will look at a Radeon card
"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D ddovb$m4a$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Get the best one you can afford! Radeon seem very reliable and dont seem
> to have as many graphical problems with games as Nvidia do these days for
> some reason. Try Ebay
>
> "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
>> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
>> spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
>> Thanks
>> Tom

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 2:08:33 AM

I'll think I have an AGP slot on my MOBO but will check before I buy a
Radeon.
Tom

"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
> Do you have an AGP or PCI-e bus on your MoBo? I'm assuming not if
> you've got on-board graphics. If that is the case, you'll probably get
> less than optimal performance.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 10:55:34 AM

Actually, the PC was a gift. I had hoped I could have it upgraded or
upgraded myslef, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an option.
Luckily, I've got plenty of games left-over that I can still enjoy -
I'm willing to give this one its lease on life. I'm just rankled that
my new machine has fewer graphics options than one I got around the
time of 9/11. Also, the way Intel calls it the "Extreme" graphics
chipset, when there's obviously nothing extreme about it.

just something I had to get off my chest...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 10:57:03 AM

For my part, you can and in some cases should by a Dell - just know
what you're looking for and what you're paying for. Also, be prepared
to stick with what you get since some components may be proprietary.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 10:59:17 AM

Briarroot wrote:
> Kit Kat wrote:
> >
> > We had this thread a while ago.
> > PEOPLE, STOP BUYING DELL !!! YOU GET RIPPED OFF.
> > Computers are one of the few things in the world that it is far, far better to
> > buy no name from your local reputable (in business for some years) computer
> > supplier.
>
> LOL They are not being *ripped off* they just getting what they paid
> for. Dell makes it very clear what components they place in the various
> lines of PCs that they sell. If someone buys a PC with "Shared Memory"
> (no video board) they have no one but themselves to blame. Gamers
> should stick to the Dell Dimension series, or better still, the XPS
> line. The budget lines are for business users.

I agree with you, but just as sticking point, my machine IS a Dimension
- the lamentable 3000. Gamers should start at the 4700, keeping in
mind that they probably want a machine with PCI-E graphics bus.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2005 10:34:23 PM

> Will look at a Radeon card

You don't really need the latest and greatest card. F4:AF runs fine on my
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That's a couple of years old almost. I doubt I'd get
that much of an improvement if I upgraded it. The greatest impact on
Falcon's framerate is the campaign engine. Free flight or quick combat I
get 60+ fps, in campaigns is bogs down to 25 at full detail at 1024x768 all
32 bit textures, but that's more than fine as far as I care.

Si
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2005 3:37:07 AM

I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a flat
panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.

>I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
>My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to spend
>much on a new card....any recommendations please?
>Thanks
>Tom

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2005 10:58:49 PM

Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run the
game with lower settings.

<rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
>I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a
>flat
> panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
> graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.
>
>>I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
>>My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
>>spend
>>much on a new card....any recommendations please?
>>Thanks
>>Tom

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2005 12:13:23 AM

I have a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, so I guess I'm okay.

>Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
>If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run the
>game with lower settings.
>
><rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
>>I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a
>>flat
>> panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
>> graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.
>>
>>>I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
>>>My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
>>>spend
>>>much on a new card....any recommendations please?
>>>Thanks
>>>Tom

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2005 3:45:42 PM

More than ok I would say! You may get some slow down around your own
airstrip because the other F16 planes are so highly modelled that they slow
the game down when you are close to them - but its only wehen you have them
in view and not a massive problem, hopefully to be remedied with a patch.

Nats

<rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I have a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, so I guess I'm okay.
>
>>Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
>>If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run
>>the
>>game with lower settings.
>>
>><rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it,
>>>flat
>>> panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect
>>> great
>>> graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2005 3:34:16 AM

"Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
> spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
> Thanks
> Tom

Yes definitely have to go with a new card, and I suggest an ATI Radeon 9800
Pro. Great graphics card that won't break the bank, and will pair well with
your AMD 1.3 GHz. If your mobo can handle it, recommend getting a faster
CPU. Assuming it is an Athlon XP or at least your mobo supports AthlonXP you
can get a 2600+ or 2700+ for about $80.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2005 11:49:31 PM

Thanks for the advice will start with the Radeon as you suggest then will
upgrade mobo and processor later.
happy landings!
Tom

!