Graphics card for Falcon 4 Allied Force?

I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to spend
much on a new card....any recommendations please?
Thanks
Tom
16 answers Last reply
More about graphics card falcon allied force
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Do you have an AGP or PCI-e bus on your MoBo? I'm assuming not if
    you've got on-board graphics. If that is the case, you'll probably get
    less than optimal performance.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I thought I had an AGP slot as well. Luckily my Dell Dimension is just
    that easy to open up, and also lucky that I upgraded the card of my
    last computer so I know what an AGP slot should look like. Imagine my
    surprise to learn that I had accidentally joined the world of on-board
    video graphics.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    > My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    spend
    > much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    Falcon, including AF, is much more cpu intensive, than video card
    intensive. Spend your $ on that instead.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Get the best one you can afford! Radeon seem very reliable and dont seem to
    have as many graphical problems with games as Nvidia do these days for some
    reason. Try Ebay

    "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    > My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    > spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    > Thanks
    > Tom

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Will look at a Radeon card
    "Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Get the best one you can afford! Radeon seem very reliable and dont seem
    > to have as many graphical problems with games as Nvidia do these days for
    > some reason. Try Ebay
    >
    > "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    >> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    >> spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    >> Thanks
    >> Tom

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I'll think I have an AGP slot on my MOBO but will check before I buy a
    Radeon.
    Tom

    "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have an AGP or PCI-e bus on your MoBo? I'm assuming not if
    > you've got on-board graphics. If that is the case, you'll probably get
    > less than optimal performance.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Actually, the PC was a gift. I had hoped I could have it upgraded or
    upgraded myslef, but it doesn't look like that's going to be an option.
    Luckily, I've got plenty of games left-over that I can still enjoy -
    I'm willing to give this one its lease on life. I'm just rankled that
    my new machine has fewer graphics options than one I got around the
    time of 9/11. Also, the way Intel calls it the "Extreme" graphics
    chipset, when there's obviously nothing extreme about it.

    just something I had to get off my chest...
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    For my part, you can and in some cases should by a Dell - just know
    what you're looking for and what you're paying for. Also, be prepared
    to stick with what you get since some components may be proprietary.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Briarroot wrote:
    > Kit Kat wrote:
    > >
    > > We had this thread a while ago.
    > > PEOPLE, STOP BUYING DELL !!! YOU GET RIPPED OFF.
    > > Computers are one of the few things in the world that it is far, far better to
    > > buy no name from your local reputable (in business for some years) computer
    > > supplier.
    >
    > LOL They are not being *ripped off* they just getting what they paid
    > for. Dell makes it very clear what components they place in the various
    > lines of PCs that they sell. If someone buys a PC with "Shared Memory"
    > (no video board) they have no one but themselves to blame. Gamers
    > should stick to the Dell Dimension series, or better still, the XPS
    > line. The budget lines are for business users.

    I agree with you, but just as sticking point, my machine IS a Dimension
    - the lamentable 3000. Gamers should start at the 4700, keeping in
    mind that they probably want a machine with PCI-E graphics bus.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Will look at a Radeon card

    You don't really need the latest and greatest card. F4:AF runs fine on my
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. That's a couple of years old almost. I doubt I'd get
    that much of an improvement if I upgraded it. The greatest impact on
    Falcon's framerate is the campaign engine. Free flight or quick combat I
    get 60+ fps, in campaigns is bogs down to 25 at full detail at 1024x768 all
    32 bit textures, but that's more than fine as far as I care.

    Si
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a flat
    panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
    graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.

    >I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    >My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to spend
    >much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    >Thanks
    >Tom

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
    If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run the
    game with lower settings.

    <rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a
    >flat
    > panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
    > graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.
    >
    >>I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    >>My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    >>spend
    >>much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    >>Thanks
    >>Tom

  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I have a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, so I guess I'm okay.

    >Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
    >If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run the
    >game with lower settings.
    >
    ><rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it, a
    >>flat
    >> panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect great
    >> graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.
    >>
    >>>I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    >>>My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    >>>spend
    >>>much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Tom

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    More than ok I would say! You may get some slow down around your own
    airstrip because the other F16 planes are so highly modelled that they slow
    the game down when you are close to them - but its only wehen you have them
    in view and not a massive problem, hopefully to be remedied with a patch.

    Nats

    <rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I have a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, so I guess I'm okay.
    >
    >>Depends on your computer speed which is more important than anything else.
    >>If you have 2GHz or more you will be fine. And lower computers will run
    >>the
    >>game with lower settings.
    >>
    >><rfdjr@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just ordered this sim. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card with 256Mb on it,
    >>>flat
    >>> panel monitor with a digital hookup and 1Gb of aRAM. Should I expect
    >>> great
    >>> graphics and flying with this sim? Thanks.

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    > My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    > spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    Yes definitely have to go with a new card, and I suggest an ATI Radeon 9800
    Pro. Great graphics card that won't break the bank, and will pair well with
    your AMD 1.3 GHz. If your mobo can handle it, recommend getting a faster
    CPU. Assuming it is an Athlon XP or at least your mobo supports AthlonXP you
    can get a 2600+ or 2700+ for about $80.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice will start with the Radeon as you suggest then will
    upgrade mobo and processor later.
    happy landings!
    Tom

    "HockeyTownUSA" <cyberpilot at gmail dot com> wrote in message

    > "Tommy Noddy" <tommynoddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm running WinXPSP2 on an AMD 1.3GHz with 1 gig of SD ram.
    >> My present graphics card is an onboard VIA/S3G/ KM400...don't want to
    >> spend much on a new card....any recommendations please?
    >> Thanks
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Yes definitely have to go with a new card, and I suggest an ATI Radeon
    > 9800 Pro. Great graphics card that won't break the bank, and will pair
    > well with your AMD 1.3 GHz. If your mobo can handle it, recommend getting
    > a faster CPU. Assuming it is an Athlon XP or at least your mobo supports
    > AthlonXP you can get a 2600+ or 2700+ for about $80.

PC gaming Falcon Graphics Cards Video Games