Wired network problem with laptop hookup

Last response: in Networking
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 11:37:26 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to use the wireless b-base station for a wired
network between my home computer (base) and a laptop. The
laptop has a built in ethernet adapter (not a removeable
card). I can't figure out how to get past the wizard step
to install an ethernet adapter. Would I need to buy an
ethernet card?

Also...the laptop is for work and I want to hook the
laptop up at home so I can utilize the speed of my home
DSL hookup. How would configuring a "home" network on the
ethernet connection affect the work network? Would it at
all or would it prompt you for which network to connect
to? Forgive my ignorance...Learning... :)

Any help...greatly appreciated!
Thank you! -Carolyn
May 8, 2004 8:47:40 PM

Your card should do fine. The home and work networks may
work fine or you may need to switch connections (i.e.
reconfigure every time, depending how the work net is
setup).

Make sure the ethernet card is enabled on the computer.
Open Control Panel/System and check it under Devices.

Then, on XP, go to Network Connections. If you have a
network icon there (other than dialup or wireless),
configure it to obtain an IP from the "server." Otherwise
use the wizard to add one. Set the workgroup, and done.

If the work network is using DHCP this should work fine
there provided you are using the same workgroup name (you
may want to set your home workgroup to the same name as
at work -- you need to do this in every home computer
though). If the work network is not using DHCP, you can
set an "alternate" configuration. Check with the park
admin at work.

!