Echo Layla 24 Question

Last response: in Home Audio
November 1, 2004 2:22:38 AM

Hey guys how's it going, don't know why but I've never posted here
before. Seems like a no brainer that I should have been on this board
for the past couple of years but anyways....

My question.... First of all greetings to all.... My question is what
exactly is the "Wave device configuration" panel in the advanced
settings of the console? I have no problem in particular, i'm just
interested, it's something i've always wondered.

JDub

More about : echo layla question

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:47:12 PM

"doki_pen" <doki_pen@yahoo.com> wrote My question is what
> exactly is the "Wave device configuration" panel in the advanced
> settings of the console?

That panel does two things: let's you use Echo's "Purewave" technology,
which is a means of bypassing MS Windows' kernel mixer and letting the
hardware talk to the software more directly. This has no effect if you're
using ASIO drivers to communicate with hardware, or if you're using Sonar
(and perhaps some other apps) that use a different way to bypass the kernel
mixer (WDM kernel streaming).

Second, more usefully for me, at least, that panel lets you set up Layla as
a multichannel wave device, rather than as 8, 10 or 16 pairs of stereo
devices. You can group channels very flexibly to, for example, make the
Layla look like a six channel device for 5.1 surround sound purposes. Some
software, e.g. Sonar, works better with a multichannel wave device than with
all those separate stereo wave devices. Plus you can hide and turn off
channels you aren't using.

Look around for a "readme" file that Echo put out starting around WDM driver
6.05. It explains it all in more depth....

Richard Whisnant
Room2b Productions
www.room2b.com
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:33:28 AM

Its to allow you to configure you outputs in a group of pairs of channels, one
example might be to use the device for 5.1 mixes. The software will see it like
that.
HTH
Jer @Sundog Audio, Chicago
!