Microphone Needed

Last response: in Home Audio
November 1, 2004 11:26:05 AM

Hello all,

I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
product exists!

Thanks,

Jonathan

More about : microphone needed

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:39:48 PM

In the old days they used to use megaphones.

http://www.clipsahoy.com/webgraphics2/as2672.htm

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
> anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
> the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
> citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
> simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> product exists!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan
November 1, 2004 10:01:43 PM

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist?

http://tinyurl.com/5ga47
November 2, 2004 1:17:25 AM

Hey do you guys remember when actual real audio engineers would post
here...?
--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
> anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
> the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
> citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
> simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> product exists!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:14:27 AM

"Steven Sena" <xssound@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey do you guys remember when actual real audio engineers would post
> here...?
> --
> Steven Sena
> XS Sound Recording
> www.xssound.com
>
> "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> > needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
> > anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
> > the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
> > citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
> > simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> > product exists!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jonathan

i think Jonathan is simply asking for a practical solution to a real
problem. even if he lugs a small PA system in his audience will have
differing volume needs.

the key at this point is to supply headphones either wired or wireless to
those whom are in need of it. a number of companies make assisted listening
devices for example http://williamssound.com/.

alternatively a part 15 FM transmitter and low cost portable radios with
headsets or headset type radios might suffice.

add a headworn mic, a small mixer and the whole show should fit into a
largish briefcase.

another possibility is a stage IEM (in ear monitor) unit. this will probably
cost more then the other systems but it has the same functionality.

another idea is to use a wired headphone amp system. the downside of this it
the tangle of wires you have to deal with.

there are also some infrared type wireless headphone systems intended for
home consumers. these have found there way into studios from time to time.

Tim
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 9:34:24 AM

You might look at Califone products, specifically the
VoiceSaver. It's a little belt-worn, battery-operated
amplifier/speaker unit with a wired head-worn microphone.

My wife is a high school theatre tech/choir teacher and
usually doubles as dance coach/choreographer for the
musicals. She bought one for the times she has to be on
stage teaching dance steps. She says it works well for its
purpose, is easy to use and won't break the bank.

Google Califone+"voice saver" and you'll find it at several
places. It's only about $65.00 and may fit your needs. You
might also go to Califone's Web site and look at other
products in their line that might be suitable. Products like
this are rarely found in "professional audio", so you need
to look in other places. Educators and presenters have a
need for a product just as you describe, and you have to
look in places that are oriented to that market. Califone
has been in business for decades supplying media products to
educators.

For substantially more money, you might look at the Azden
APS 25. It's a little wireless mic/amp/speaker system that
is quite small and would be easily carried and set up. It is
quite versatile in that it can be configured with a variety
of mics and headsets. It might be worth checking out
(http://www.azden.com).

Just a couple of places to get you started.

TM

Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

> I just need some
> simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> product exists!
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:15:51 PM

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
> anything that can amplify your voice without an amp? If so, what is
> the price range for such a device? I play acoustic guitar for senior
> citizens and they cannot hear me when I sing, so I just need some
> simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> product exists!

Megaphones exist. And toy mics with a built-in reverberator/amplifier.

Or do you want really want a microphone with a little amp/speaker pack ?

All the above are available - Toa do the megaphones and the little pa packs.

geoff
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:15:52 PM

Sir, do you know where I can get a toy mic with a built in amplifier?
I need something cheap and that will just amplify my voice a little
bit. Getting a toy product seems like a wise idea.

> Megaphones exist. And toy mics with a built-in reverberator/amplifier.
>
> Or do you want really want a microphone with a little amp/speaker pack ?
>
> All the above are available - Toa do the megaphones and the little pa packs.
>
> geoff
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:53:13 PM

"Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist? Is there
> anything that can amplify your voice without an amp?

By definition, you need an amplifier, but it doesn't always have to be
separate from the microphone. A "bullhorn" that you see on cop and
rescue TV shows is the typical product. Sometimes the amplifier and
its batteries are built in to the same unit and you use it like a
megaphone. Others have a belt pack with the electronics with the mic
on one end of the hand-held assembly and the speaker on the other.

I believe Radio Shack has a near-toy version, and a cop shop will have
a real one. Don't expect anything better than megaphone/telephone
fidelity though. They're designed to amplify the speech range and
emphasize intelligibility at the expense of warmth and airy top end
that we seek in music production of the voice.

November 3, 2004 1:25:24 AM

Thanks all, I will get the Califone PA-282 Voicesaver.

T Maki <tmaki@pe.net> wrote in message news:<41879AF0.9AD44B5E@pe.net>...
> You might look at Califone products, specifically the
> VoiceSaver. It's a little belt-worn, battery-operated
> amplifier/speaker unit with a wired head-worn microphone.
>
> My wife is a high school theatre tech/choir teacher and
> usually doubles as dance coach/choreographer for the
> musicals. She bought one for the times she has to be on
> stage teaching dance steps. She says it works well for its
> purpose, is easy to use and won't break the bank.
>
> Google Califone+"voice saver" and you'll find it at several
> places. It's only about $65.00 and may fit your needs. You
> might also go to Califone's Web site and look at other
> products in their line that might be suitable. Products like
> this are rarely found in "professional audio", so you need
> to look in other places. Educators and presenters have a
> need for a product just as you describe, and you have to
> look in places that are oriented to that market. Califone
> has been in business for decades supplying media products to
> educators.
>
> For substantially more money, you might look at the Azden
> APS 25. It's a little wireless mic/amp/speaker system that
> is quite small and would be easily carried and set up. It is
> quite versatile in that it can be configured with a variety
> of mics and headsets. It might be worth checking out
> (http://www.azden.com).
>
> Just a couple of places to get you started.
>

> TM
>

> Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
> >
> > I just need some
> > simple device to slightly amplify my voice. You would think such a
> > product exists!
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 10:59:52 AM

> Sir, do you know where I can get a toy mic with a built in amplifier?
> I need something cheap and that will just amplify my voice a little
> bit. Getting a toy product seems like a wise idea.

Any major toy shop should have something like it. Called something like
"Echo-Mike" , but sounds pretty bad. Maybe it's electronic, or done with a
diaphram and springs. Really NOT what you need.

What you need is something compact like the Toa Meeting Amplifier

WA-1822 http://www.toaelectronics.com/wa-1822.asp

or WA-641 http://www.toaelectronics.com/disc/manuals/wa-641_641c....

geoff
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:19:58 PM

In article <9f75b62.0411010826.302bad35@posting.google.com> jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist?

Like we said before, no. You need an amplifier if you want to amplify
anything. I think what you're asking (and please think about the
question before you prompt a bunch of irrelevant answers) is that you
want a sound reinforcement system that is simple to set up.

Look at the Fender Passport. It's simple, it's relatively inexpensive,
it will do what you need. It does cost more than $25, however.

November 5, 2004 7:54:33 PM

> In article <9f75b62.0411010826.302bad35@posting.google.com>
jon3825@gmail.com writes:

> > I am looking for a microphone that can amplify my voice without
> > needing any sort of amplifier. Does such a product exist?

They're been around for a long time. I believe the name is megaphone.
It consists of a conical piece of material with a mouthpiece at the
source end, and open at the other. Requires no power.

Norm Strong
!