Sign in with
Your question

MBR Error 1 and hard drive not listed in system recovery

Last response: in Windows 7
May 17, 2012 5:53:03 PM

hi,

i had two hdd's in my computer and decided to remove one as i did not really need it and figured it save some power,
after removing secondary hard drive which was just being used as storage i received the " MBR Error 1" after about 2 hours researching
i found i could repair it from windows cd, only problem is i only have a live usb version of it and when i try to launch system recovery the
operating system is not listed and i have to load drivers for the hard disk.

i really do not want to wipe and reinstall windows as its only been 2 weeks since i built the system and also i have a game which is 25gb digital download installed on it but it deletes the installation files after installing it and reinstalling would mean re-installing. :( 

i guess i have 2 questions:

1. is there anyway to copy a liveusb onto a disk ? for example, make an iso of a usb drive and burn it to dvd?

2. what drivers would i have to load on the windows startup recovery to get it to see the operating system

below are my system specifications if it helps:

MOBO: Asus sabertooth z77
RAM: gskill ripjaws 8gb (2 x 4gb)
CPU: intel i5-2500k
GRAPHICS: zotac geforce gtc 580 3gb
HDD: WD caviar blue 500gb

any help would greatly be appreciated as this has me absolutely frustrated.

thanks,
silva
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 6:13:41 PM

are you sure your windows directory wasn't on the drive you removed? If you put the drive back does everything go back to normal?
May 17, 2012 6:20:58 PM

yeah, its on the one in the system . i used wondershare liveboot and can see the files etc .
Related resources
!