Java on V551

Last response: in Brands
January 10, 2005 10:46:19 AM

Greetings,

Looking around for Java apps to run on my V551 and I see that this phone is
not frequently listed as a supported phone. I am guessing this is mainly
because the phone is relatively new on the market. I am wondering if Java
apps for another Moto phone are portable to the V551 and if so what Motorola
phone is the "closest" to the V551 with respect to Java apps? Any reason I
can't download a Java application and try it to see if it works? Can this
harm the phone?

Cheers
TC

More about : java v551

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:22:07 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <fpqEd.3253$pZ4.1647@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Mon, 10 Jan 2005
07:46:19 GMT, "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Looking around for Java apps to run on my V551 and I see that this phone is
>not frequently listed as a supported phone. I am guessing this is mainly
>because the phone is relatively new on the market.

Probably.

>I am wondering if Java
>apps for another Moto phone are portable to the V551 and if so what Motorola
>phone is the "closest" to the V551 with respect to Java apps?

V500 series.

>Any reason I
>can't download a Java application and try it to see if it works?

No.

>Can this
>harm the phone?

Only if you download a virus.

January 11, 2005 4:25:58 AM

some Java apps will work from V300, V400, V500, V600 series on the V551.

The V551 has new keypad mapping, with addition of browser and camera keys.
So some functions won't work properly.

You have nothing to lose by trying it unless it costs you money to download
the s/w.

--
Steve
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <fpqEd.3253$pZ4.1647@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Mon, 10 Jan
> 2005
> 07:46:19 GMT, "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Looking around for Java apps to run on my V551 and I see that this phone
>>is
>>not frequently listed as a supported phone. I am guessing this is mainly
>>because the phone is relatively new on the market.
>
> Probably.
>
>>I am wondering if Java
>>apps for another Moto phone are portable to the V551 and if so what
>>Motorola
>>phone is the "closest" to the V551 with respect to Java apps?
>
> V500 series.
>
>>Any reason I
>>can't download a Java application and try it to see if it works?
>
> No.
>
>>Can this
>>harm the phone?
>
> Only if you download a virus.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:47:59 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:25:58 GMT, "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net>
wrote:

>some Java apps will work from V300, V400, V500, V600 series on the V551.
>
>The V551 has new keypad mapping, with addition of browser and camera keys.
>So some functions won't work properly.

I've found that to be the case. Some games work ok, others have keys
that don't work properly or at all. For instance, a Pool game refuses
to have proper spin or allow the cue to be moved.
!