motorola = trouble

Last response: in Brands
January 10, 2005 12:25:47 PM

Three or four years ago I had a nokia. Bought a Data Suite (software +
cable) connected it to my computer, used it to dial my ISP, download
my emails, read newsgroups - transfer contact lists, etc. All without
any problems. Just as I would expect it to be. NOW I have a motorola.
Now I have problems. Sometimes connection via the datacable works,
most times it doesn't. The data cable came without software (OK -
could have read the box, but I was blinded by how easy it had all been
with the Nokia) so I had to buy that separately. Eventually I bought a
Belkin Bluetooth adaptor - but it still doesn't get any better. One
day it works and the next the phone says bluetooth link not attached
(or something like that). So reload everything all over and it may
work, or I may get a message saying Wrong License Type (the Belkin BT
software isn't licensed, so whats it talking about?).
Seems to me the best way to solve these problens is to go back to
Nokia - can you convince me any other way????
Incidently, since the Belkin comes with software, why doesn't the
motorola datacable? I appreciate that some people might already have
software, but it seems like they are saving the fifty pence it would
cost to include a disk so that they can charge you twenty quid for
it!!!

More about : motorola trouble

January 10, 2005 3:58:05 PM

"bill skipton" <billskipton@orange.net> wrote in message
> Three or four years ago I had a nokia. Bought a Data Suite (software +
><SNIP>> Now I have problems. <SNIP>> Incidently, since the Belkin comes with software,
>why doesn't the
> motorola datacable?

I am guessing that SP2 might be the be the main problem. I am finding that you have to
dump the Belkin stuff to get stability.
I think that you can choose to buy data cable with or without CD.
Pat.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:14:03 PM

"bill skipton" <billskipton@orange.net> wrote in message
> Three or four years ago I had a nokia. Bought a Data Suite (software +
> cable) connected it to my computer, used it to dial my ISP, download
> my emails, read newsgroups - transfer contact lists, etc. All without
> any problems. Just as I would expect it to be. NOW I have a motorola.
> Now I have problems. Sometimes connection via the datacable works,
> most times it doesn't. The data cable came without software (OK -
> could have read the box, but I was blinded by how easy it had all been
> with the Nokia) so I had to buy that separately. Eventually I bought a
> Belkin Bluetooth adaptor - but it still doesn't get any better. One
> day it works and the next the phone says bluetooth link not attached
> (or something like that). So reload everything all over and it may
> work, or I may get a message saying Wrong License Type (the Belkin BT
> software isn't licensed, so whats it talking about?).
> Seems to me the best way to solve these problens is to go back to
> Nokia - can you convince me any other way????
> Incidently, since the Belkin comes with software, why doesn't the
> motorola datacable? I appreciate that some people might already have
> software, but it seems like they are saving the fifty pence it would
> cost to include a disk so that they can charge you twenty quid for
> it!!!

The Belkin and Motorola V551 work just fine on my Win XP box with SP2. I did
have some trouble the other day when I rebooted and Windows decided to load
the XP drivers over the Belkin drivers but once I got that straightened out
everything works fine.

By the way, the Belkin SW is licensed. It's based on the Widcomm BT stack
and if you don't have the proper BT adapter attached it won't work. Not sure
why your getting the Wrong License Type message but it sounds like conflicts
with the Win Drivers for Bluetooth.

For what it's worth, no Nokia that I ever had came with a data cable. I
don't like that Moto charges separately for the sync software but I suppose
it's to help keep cost down. The Belkin requires SW to work (drivers and all
that you know?) whereas the Motorola doesn't really "require" the software
to work as a phone and nothing extra is required for the phone to use
Bluetooth.

Cheers
TC
Related resources
January 10, 2005 9:03:36 PM

Sounds like the problem is the computer/software, not the phone.

FYI - hook up a motorola to a Mac, no extra software required, really does
work "plug and play"........
January 11, 2005 1:28:47 AM

I ran the Belkin drivers under XP SP2 for a couple of days but found the system a bit
unstable so I recently changed to the built in drivers that XP SP2 is so desperate to
install. Probably paranoia, but I felt that they would sneak back in and cause a conflict
at every opportunity such as security updates and repair installs etc!
I suspect that folk who bought cheap CD-less dongles off a market stall probably wonder
why others are having a problem!

> The Belkin and Motorola V551 work just fine on my Win XP box with SP2. I did have some
> trouble the other day when I rebooted and Windows decided to load the XP drivers over
> the Belkin drivers but once I got that straightened out everything works fine.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:01:36 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:03:36 GMT, bunny <bunny@bunny.net> wrote:

>Sounds like the problem is the computer/software, not the phone.
>
>FYI - hook up a motorola to a Mac, no extra software required, really does
>work "plug and play"........

It's probably cheaper to buy a Nokia than to buy an apple.
Seriously, though, is it such a big deal to expect something as simple
as linking a phone to a PC to be so buggy????
Bill
!