Problem with CFS2 Installation

Got a problem if anyone can help.
I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
pristine with no defects.
What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
perfectly before.
The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
as I can see.
Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
24 answers Last reply
More about problem cfs2 installation
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
    disc one.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Maybe your CDROM drive is having a problem with the copy protection on
    disc one.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thank you.
    DH

    "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
    > disc one.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
    overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
    trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
    (it even says so on the box).

    Good luck,
    Bumper7
    Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    > Thank you.
    > DH
    >
    > "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
    >> disc one.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On 2005-08-18 07:03, Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Got a problem if anyone can help.
    > I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
    > with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
    > running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
    > I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
    > issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
    > pristine with no defects.
    > What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
    > slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
    > is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
    > makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
    > I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
    > drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
    > perfectly before.
    > The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
    > as I can see.
    > Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
    > The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
    > EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

    I have seen problems with some CD:s slipping from the grip, om drives
    where the CD is loose in a tray & the motor clamps on the center hole.

    In my case some specific CD:s were thinner in the center, and the grip
    wasn't tight enough to hold the CD, which then skidded on the pads, with
    some noise as a sideeffect.

    If this is the case, you can try adding some tape across the top of the
    CD center, just around the hole. (I used three strips of paper tape to
    make a triangle, thick enough to be safely held in the clamp.)

    my 0.2 SEK
    /Rolf
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thank you.
    DH

    "Rolf Blom" <allspam@round.bin> wrote in message
    > On 2005-08-18 07:03, Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Got a problem if anyone can help.
    >> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming
    >> computer with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is
    >> installed and running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
    >> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no
    >> installation issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1
    >> and 2 are pristine with no defects.
    >> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive
    >> makes slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works
    >> eventually, but is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow
    >> installation. Disk 2 makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't
    >> run.
    >> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down.
    >> D drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
    >> perfectly before.
    >> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as
    >> far as I can see.
    >> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
    >> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers
    >> are EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >
    > I have seen problems with some CD:s slipping from the grip, om drives
    > where the CD is loose in a tray & the motor clamps on the center hole.
    >
    > In my case some specific CD:s were thinner in the center, and the grip
    > wasn't tight enough to hold the CD, which then skidded on the pads, with
    > some noise as a sideeffect.
    >
    > If this is the case, you can try adding some tape across the top of the CD
    > center, just around the hole. (I used three strips of paper tape to make a
    > triangle, thick enough to be safely held in the clamp.)
    >
    > my 0.2 SEK
    > /Rolf
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Got a problem if anyone can help.
    > I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
    > with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
    > running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
    > I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
    > issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
    > pristine with no defects.
    > What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
    > slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
    > is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
    > makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
    > I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
    > drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
    > perfectly before.
    > The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
    > as I can see.
    > Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
    > The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
    > EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks
    > Dudley Henriques
    > International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

    Hello, Dudley

    First, you're not losing your mind. Thousands of CDs I've used, and
    never had a problem, until a month ago. I put a brand new autoplay disk
    in and the drive barely responded, reading very sluggishly, making the
    odd noise or two. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong with the
    surface, clean, no scratches or pits. At first, it would not play at
    all, just sat there pointlessly churning and sputtering. A few days
    later it would finally read the disk, but only after a long time of
    reading and halting, reading and halting. The drive worked perfectly
    with every other disk, before, during and after this problem.

    Now, if I put in that disk, it gets read instantly and runs perfectly. I
    just checked my CFS II disk 1 and it is read instantly, as always.

    Since I changed nothing about the optical drive, didn't even blow it out
    for the stray dust particle, and since it works perfectly with all other
    disks, the conclusion was it was an invisible particle of something in
    just the wrong place on the disk that had initially failed, a particle
    that ultimately was dislodged. So, what I recommend is a thorough
    cleaning of the disk even though it looks perfect, coupled with a shot
    of compressed air in the drive itself just to be on the safe side. This
    is all empirical, but it's all I can conclude from the experience. Hope
    it helps.

    -Seadog
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks. I'll try this and see what happens. I agree; it HAS to be the disk.
    I put the CD for another program in there and it ran perfectly. Then I
    retried the CF2 install and I got the same weird sounds and no installation.
    I'll try cleaning the disk and reinstalling again. If that doesn't do it,
    I'll just assume that something has gone wrong with the disk that can't be
    fixed and let it go at that.
    Thanks again
    Dudley
    "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Got a problem if anyone can help.
    >> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming
    >> computer with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is
    >> installed and running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
    >> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no
    >> installation issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1
    >> and 2 are pristine with no defects.
    >> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive
    >> makes slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works
    >> eventually, but is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow
    >> installation. Disk 2 makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't
    >> run.
    >> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down.
    >> D drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
    >> perfectly before.
    >> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as
    >> far as I can see.
    >> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
    >> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers
    >> are EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >

    > Hello, Dudley
    >
    > First, you're not losing your mind. Thousands of CDs I've used, and never
    > had a problem, until a month ago. I put a brand new autoplay disk in and
    > the drive barely responded, reading very sluggishly, making the odd noise
    > or two. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong with the surface, clean, no
    > scratches or pits. At first, it would not play at all, just sat there
    > pointlessly churning and sputtering. A few days later it would finally
    > read the disk, but only after a long time of reading and halting, reading
    > and halting. The drive worked perfectly with every other disk, before,
    > during and after this problem.
    >
    > Now, if I put in that disk, it gets read instantly and runs perfectly. I
    > just checked my CFS II disk 1 and it is read instantly, as always.
    >
    > Since I changed nothing about the optical drive, didn't even blow it out
    > for the stray dust particle, and since it works perfectly with all other
    > disks, the conclusion was it was an invisible particle of something in
    > just the wrong place on the disk that had initially failed, a particle
    > that ultimately was dislodged. So, what I recommend is a thorough cleaning
    > of the disk even though it looks perfect, coupled with a shot of
    > compressed air in the drive itself just to be on the safe side. This is
    > all empirical, but it's all I can conclude from the experience. Hope it
    > helps.
    >
    > -Seadog
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    CFS2 has installed before on this drive with no issues. This is what's so
    puzzling. Also, the noise created in the drive when the disk is inserted.
    It's the CD I think, but the exact issue is up for grabs :-)
    DH
    "Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
    > overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
    > trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
    > (it even says so on the box).
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Bumper7
    > Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
    >
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> Thank you.
    >> DH
    >>
    >> "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
    >>> disc one.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :-)
    DH
    "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Got a problem if anyone can help.
    >> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming
    >> computer with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is
    >> installed and running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
    >> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no
    >> installation issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1
    >> and 2 are pristine with no defects.
    >> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive
    >> makes slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works
    >> eventually, but is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow
    >> installation. Disk 2 makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't
    >> run.
    >> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down.
    >> D drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
    >> perfectly before.
    >> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as
    >> far as I can see.
    >> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
    >> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers
    >> are EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
    >> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dudley Henriques
    >> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
    >

    > Hello, Dudley
    >
    > First, you're not losing your mind. Thousands of CDs I've used, and never
    > had a problem, until a month ago. I put a brand new autoplay disk in and
    > the drive barely responded, reading very sluggishly, making the odd noise
    > or two. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong with the surface, clean, no
    > scratches or pits. At first, it would not play at all, just sat there
    > pointlessly churning and sputtering. A few days later it would finally
    > read the disk, but only after a long time of reading and halting, reading
    > and halting. The drive worked perfectly with every other disk, before,
    > during and after this problem.
    >
    > Now, if I put in that disk, it gets read instantly and runs perfectly. I
    > just checked my CFS II disk 1 and it is read instantly, as always.
    >
    > Since I changed nothing about the optical drive, didn't even blow it out
    > for the stray dust particle, and since it works perfectly with all other
    > disks, the conclusion was it was an invisible particle of something in
    > just the wrong place on the disk that had initially failed, a particle
    > that ultimately was dislodged. So, what I recommend is a thorough cleaning
    > of the disk even though it looks perfect, coupled with a shot of
    > compressed air in the drive itself just to be on the safe side. This is
    > all empirical, but it's all I can conclude from the experience. Hope it
    > helps.
    >
    > -Seadog
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :-)
    > DH

    ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
    squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
    forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.

    Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
    file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
    the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
    while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
    to setup.exe?

    -Seadog
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Seadog wrote:
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >
    >> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :-)
    >> DH
    >

    > ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
    > squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
    > forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
    >
    > Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
    > file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
    > the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
    > while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
    > to setup.exe?
    >
    > -Seadog

    Or the simplest way, duh, My Computer. -S.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
    icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the system
    to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with the autorun
    and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be able to isolate
    it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as uninstallable. Shame, but
    since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system integrity is more important than
    installing CFS2.
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :-)
    >> DH
    >
    > ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
    > squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
    > forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
    >
    > Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a file
    > manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see the
    > files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key while the
    > disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct to setup.exe?
    >
    > -Seadog
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Again, you need to use a basic 'CDROM' drive, not a 'CD-RW' or anything else
    that's fancy! You can get one for $10 at a used comp equip store, and the
    cable & hookups are inside your computer right now (as long as you have an
    extra bay available).
    Good luck,
    Bumper7

    > Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
    > icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the
    > system to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with
    > the autorun and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be
    > able to isolate it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as
    > uninstallable. Shame, but since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system
    > integrity is more important than installing CFS2.
    > Dudley
    > "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
    >> Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >>> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :-)
    >>> DH
    >>
    >> ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
    >> squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
    >> forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
    >>
    >> Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
    >> file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see the
    >> files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key while
    >> the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct to
    >> setup.exe?
    >>
    >> -Seadog

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
    > icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the system
    > to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with the autorun
    > and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be able to isolate
    > it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as uninstallable. Shame, but
    > since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system integrity is more important than
    > installing CFS2.
    > Dudley

    I dearly wish I could have helped, given all that you do for the rest of
    us, but I understand your priorities. Don't toss it out, though. I
    guarantee one day it will work perfectly for no apparent reason.

    -Seadog
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I really appreciate your help believe me, but CFS2 has installed quite well
    on both this machine and many others using a CDRW drive. Actually, as this
    issue has progressed and I've tried things, I just solved part of the issue
    when I discovered that the last uninstall this morning had left 118 megs of
    CFS2 files in the Microsoft Games folder that I missed somehow manually
    checking after the uninstall was done. I deleted them and the program has
    now installed correctly.
    However, there is still a video issue that was there before as well. The
    program will not display the opening screen and transition the video into
    the settings screen. No video at all. As soon as the run program icon is
    clicked during the installation process, the screen goes black....sound but
    no video from that point onward. This would indicate either a video driver
    issue or perhaps a long shot, the drivers for my new LCD monitor.
    I have just switched monitors from an analog to an LCD which is using a DVI
    interface. I'm thinking the DVI or the monitor driver might have something
    to do with the loss of video within the CFS2 program, as the video showed
    correctly during the install then went black as the program started the
    opening video sequence.

    > Again, you need to use a basic 'CDROM' drive, not a 'CD-RW' or anything
    > else that's fancy! You can get one for $10 at a used comp equip store, and
    > the cable & hookups are inside your computer right now (as long as you
    > have an extra bay available).
    > Good luck,
    > Bumper7
    >
    > "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
    >> icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the
    >> system to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with
    >> the autorun and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be
    >> able to isolate it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as
    >> uninstallable. Shame, but since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system
    >> integrity is more important than installing CFS2.
    >> Dudley
    >> "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
    >>> squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
    >>> forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
    >>>
    >>> Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
    >>> file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
    >>> the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
    >>> while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
    >>> to setup.exe?
    >>>
    >>> -Seadog

  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :-)
    Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of the
    issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win for
    trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my 6800GT AGP
    card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable for a new LCD
    monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something video wise in
    CFS2.
    Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
    >> icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the
    >> system to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with
    >> the autorun and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be
    >> able to isolate it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as
    >> uninstallable. Shame, but since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system
    >> integrity is more important than installing CFS2.
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > I dearly wish I could have helped, given all that you do for the rest of
    > us, but I understand your priorities. Don't toss it out, though. I
    > guarantee one day it will work perfectly for no apparent reason.
    >
    > -Seadog
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :-)
    > Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of the
    > issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win for
    > trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my 6800GT AGP
    > card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable for a new LCD
    > monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something video wise in
    > CFS2.
    > Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
    > Dudley

    One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
    CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh
    WinXP Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2,
    and got the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the
    opening movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops
    the movie. Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full
    Screen mode into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the
    options menu is visible. Go to settings and set your game screen
    resolution to match your desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go
    back to Full Screen mode. Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least,
    it just did for me. Whew! That was a puzzler for a while.

    -Seadog
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Sounds like you nailed it. After I uninstalled CFS2, I downloaded the new
    EVGA driver 7777 and installed it. I haven't tried CFS again as I'm fairly
    convinced at this point that new drivers concentrating on PCI-E and SLI,
    even back engineered for my 6800GT are conflicting graphics wise with a sim
    this old. I guess the bottom line is that sometimes you get a long range
    trip with an old sim and sometimes you don't. FS9 is working flawlessly with
    the new drivers, so I think I'll just shelve the old CFS2 and move on with
    my work in FS9.
    Many thanks for your interest. I'm glad you got it solved for yourself
    anyway.
    :-))
    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :-)
    >> Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of
    >> the issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win
    >> for trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my
    >> 6800GT AGP card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable
    >> for a new LCD monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something
    >> video wise in CFS2.
    >> Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
    > CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh WinXP
    > Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2, and got
    > the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the opening
    > movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops the movie.
    > Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full Screen mode
    > into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the options menu is
    > visible. Go to settings and set your game screen resolution to match your
    > desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go back to Full Screen mode.
    > Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least, it just did for me. Whew!
    > That was a puzzler for a while.
    >
    > -Seadog
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > Sounds like you nailed it. After I uninstalled CFS2, I downloaded the new
    > EVGA driver 7777 and installed it. I haven't tried CFS again as I'm fairly
    > convinced at this point that new drivers concentrating on PCI-E and SLI,
    > even back engineered for my 6800GT are conflicting graphics wise with a sim
    > this old. I guess the bottom line is that sometimes you get a long range
    > trip with an old sim and sometimes you don't. FS9 is working flawlessly with
    > the new drivers, so I think I'll just shelve the old CFS2 and move on with
    > my work in FS9.
    > Many thanks for your interest. I'm glad you got it solved for yourself
    > anyway.
    > :-))
    > Dudley
    > "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :-)
    >>>Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of
    >>>the issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win
    >>>for trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my
    >>>6800GT AGP card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable
    >>>for a new LCD monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something
    >>>video wise in CFS2.
    >>>Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
    >>>Dudley
    >>>

    >>One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
    >>CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh WinXP
    >>Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2, and got
    >>the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the opening
    >>movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops the movie.
    >>Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full Screen mode
    >>into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the options menu is
    >>visible. Go to settings and set your game screen resolution to match your
    >>desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go back to Full Screen mode.
    >>Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least, it just did for me. Whew!
    >>That was a puzzler for a while.
    >>
    >>-Seadog

    Not a driver problem. The native resolutions available for Win XP itself
    start at 800 x 600 (right click desktop, click properties, click
    settings and look at how low you can go). The native start-up resolution
    for CFS2 is the old 640 x 480. That's why you can't see anything but a
    black screen on initial installation until you reduce it to windowed
    mode and re-set your sim's resolution. Easy as pie, once you know what
    the deal is. Now, using the Advanced options on the desktop resolution
    and going to the specific settings available for your card's driver, you
    can go lower than 800 x 600, but WinXP doesn't know that by itself
    natively. Honest, it's a piece of cake once you know these things. Have
    no fear, persevere. There's no driver conflict, just a stupid old
    mismatch in resolutions, thoughtfully brought to you by Win XP in the
    spirit of keeping you from having to consider too many choices. <G>

    -Seadog
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I'll fiddle with this a bit and see what develops :-)
    DH

    > Dudley Henriques wrote:
    >> Sounds like you nailed it. After I uninstalled CFS2, I downloaded the new
    >> EVGA driver 7777 and installed it. I haven't tried CFS again as I'm
    >> fairly convinced at this point that new drivers concentrating on PCI-E
    >> and SLI, even back engineered for my 6800GT are conflicting graphics wise
    >> with a sim this old. I guess the bottom line is that sometimes you get a
    >> long range trip with an old sim and sometimes you don't. FS9 is working
    >> flawlessly with the new drivers, so I think I'll just shelve the old CFS2
    >> and move on with my work in FS9.
    >> Many thanks for your interest. I'm glad you got it solved for yourself
    >> anyway.
    >> :-))
    >> Dudley
    >> "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message

    >>>One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
    >>>CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh WinXP
    >>>Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2, and got
    >>>the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the opening
    >>>movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops the movie.
    >>>Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full Screen mode
    >>>into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the options menu is
    >>>visible. Go to settings and set your game screen resolution to match your
    >>>desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go back to Full Screen mode.
    >>>Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least, it just did for me. Whew!
    >>>That was a puzzler for a while.
    >>>
    >>>-Seadog
    >>

    > Not a driver problem. The native resolutions available for Win XP itself
    > start at 800 x 600 (right click desktop, click properties, click settings
    > and look at how low you can go). The native start-up resolution for CFS2
    > is the old 640 x 480. That's why you can't see anything but a black screen
    > on initial installation until you reduce it to windowed mode and re-set
    > your sim's resolution. Easy as pie, once you know what the deal is. Now,
    > using the Advanced options on the desktop resolution and going to the
    > specific settings available for your card's driver, you can go lower than
    > 800 x 600, but WinXP doesn't know that by itself natively. Honest, it's a
    > piece of cake once you know these things. Have no fear, persevere. There's
    > no driver conflict, just a stupid old mismatch in resolutions,
    > thoughtfully brought to you by Win XP in the spirit of keeping you from
    > having to consider too many choices. <G>
    >
    > -Seadog
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dudley Henriques wrote:
    > I'll fiddle with this a bit and see what develops :-)
    > DH

    Good man. I know you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've got the 6600GT
    with the latest drivers. If it works for me, it'll work for you.

    -Seadog
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:47:05 -0700, "Phil Rhodes"

    >To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
    >overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
    >trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
    >(it even says so on the box).
    >
    >Good luck,
    >Bumper7
    >Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
    >
    >"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >> Thank you.
    >> DH
    >>
    >> "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
    >>> disc one.
    >>>
    >>Villain

    Hmmmm, I've *never* had a problem installing *any* software
    from a CD-R or DVD-R drive including CFS 2. I also have installed all
    of the IL-2 series. In fact, I was sort of dreading having a go at
    Silent Hunter 3 because of all the flack here, but didn't have a
    problem with install or play and my optical drives are both DVD-R's. I
    didn't even have to uninstall Alcohol 120%.

    Guess it goes back to the fact that every PC setup works
    differently from any other.

    "A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"- Willow Rosenberg
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I installed IL-2 etc with a CD-RW drive and played it successfully for a
    while. HOWEVER, the time came when I could not. I would attempt to start the
    game, and my comp would lock up tight. I would then have to do a cold
    reboot! Eventually, I got some help (and read what is printed on the case
    that IL-2 FB etc came in. i.e. "Not recommended for use the CD-RWs" under
    System Requirements.

    Good Luck,
    Bumper7
    Play Fighter Ace and have some real flying and fighting fun!

    "www.piaodown.com" <villain@weasle.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:47:05 -0700, "Phil Rhodes"
    >
    >>To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
    >>overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
    >>trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
    >>(it even says so on the box).
    >>
    >>Good luck,
    >>Bumper7
    >>Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
    >>
    >>"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you.
    >>> DH
    >>>
    >>> "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>>Villain
    >

    > Hmmmm, I've *never* had a problem installing *any* software
    > from a CD-R or DVD-R drive including CFS 2. I also have installed all
    > of the IL-2 series. In fact, I was sort of dreading having a go at
    > Silent Hunter 3 because of all the flack here, but didn't have a
    > problem with install or play and my optical drives are both DVD-R's. I
    > didn't even have to uninstall Alcohol 120%.
    >
    > Guess it goes back to the fact that every PC setup works
    > differently from any other.
    >

    > "A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"- Willow Rosenberg

PC gaming Video Games