Problem with CFS2 Installation

Got a problem if anyone can help.
I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
pristine with no defects.
What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
perfectly before.
The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
as I can see.
Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
disc one.

Maybe your CDROM drive is having a problem with the copy protection on
disc one.

Thank you.
DH

"FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
> disc one.

To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
(it even says so on the box).

Good luck,
Bumper7
Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/

On 2005-08-18 07:03, Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Got a problem if anyone can help.
> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
> with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
> running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
> issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
> pristine with no defects.
> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
> slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
> is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
> makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
> drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
> perfectly before.
> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
> as I can see.
> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
> EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Dudley Henriques
> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

I have seen problems with some CD:s slipping from the grip, om drives
where the CD is loose in a tray & the motor clamps on the center hole.

In my case some specific CD:s were thinner in the center, and the grip
wasn't tight enough to hold the CD, which then skidded on the pads, with
some noise as a sideeffect.

If this is the case, you can try adding some tape across the top of the
CD center, just around the hole. (I used three strips of paper tape to
make a triangle, thick enough to be safely held in the clamp.)

my 0.2 SEK
/Rolf

Thank you.
DH

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Got a problem if anyone can help.
> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming computer
> with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is installed and
> running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no installation
> issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1 and 2 are
> pristine with no defects.
> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive makes
> slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works eventually, but
> is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow installation. Disk 2
> makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't run.
> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down. D
> drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
> perfectly before.
> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as far
> as I can see.
> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers are
> EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Dudley Henriques
> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Hello, Dudley

First, you're not losing your mind. Thousands of CDs I've used, and
never had a problem, until a month ago. I put a brand new autoplay disk
in and the drive barely responded, reading very sluggishly, making the
odd noise or two. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong with the
surface, clean, no scratches or pits. At first, it would not play at
all, just sat there pointlessly churning and sputtering. A few days
later it would finally read the disk, but only after a long time of
reading and halting, reading and halting. The drive worked perfectly
with every other disk, before, during and after this problem.

Now, if I put in that disk, it gets read instantly and runs perfectly. I
just checked my CFS II disk 1 and it is read instantly, as always.

Since I changed nothing about the optical drive, didn't even blow it out
for the stray dust particle, and since it works perfectly with all other
disks, the conclusion was it was an invisible particle of something in
just the wrong place on the disk that had initially failed, a particle
that ultimately was dislodged. So, what I recommend is a thorough
cleaning of the disk even though it looks perfect, coupled with a shot
of compressed air in the drive itself just to be on the safe side. This
is all empirical, but it's all I can conclude from the experience. Hope
it helps.

-Seadog

Thanks. I'll try this and see what happens. I agree; it HAS to be the disk.
I put the CD for another program in there and it ran perfectly. Then I
retried the CF2 install and I got the same weird sounds and no installation.
I'll try cleaning the disk and reinstalling again. If that doesn't do it,
I'll just assume that something has gone wrong with the disk that can't be
fixed and let it go at that.
Thanks again
Dudley
"Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> Got a problem if anyone can help.
>> I'm trying to install CFS2 on a perfectly working high end gaming
>> computer with absolutely 0 issues with the optical drive. FS9 is
>> installed and running perfectly. All hardware and software is fine.
>> I've had CFS2 installed and running at different times with no
>> installation issues. It's been out of the system for awhile now. Disc 1
>> and 2 are pristine with no defects.
>> What's happening is that when I put disk 1 into the drive, the drive
>> makes slight noises above that which is normal. The autoplay works
>> eventually, but is extremely slow. The noise continues with a very slow
>> installation. Disk 2 makes no noise and installs ok, but the sim won't
>> run.
>> I'm sure it has something to do with the #1 disk but can't nail it down.
>> D drive accepts every other program disk except the #1 on CF2, which ran
>> perfectly before.
>> The obvious issue would point to the CD, but it's absolutely perfect as
>> far as I can see.
>> Has anyone had installation issues with CFS2?
>> The GPU is an EVGA GeForce 6800GT 259 running FS9 perfectly. The drivers
>> are EVGA WHQL 7.7.7.2.
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Dudley Henriques
>> International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
>

> Hello, Dudley
>
> First, you're not losing your mind. Thousands of CDs I've used, and never
> had a problem, until a month ago. I put a brand new autoplay disk in and
> the drive barely responded, reading very sluggishly, making the odd noise
> or two. Visual inspection showed nothing wrong with the surface, clean, no
> scratches or pits. At first, it would not play at all, just sat there
> pointlessly churning and sputtering. A few days later it would finally
> read the disk, but only after a long time of reading and halting, reading
> and halting. The drive worked perfectly with every other disk, before,
> during and after this problem.
>
> Now, if I put in that disk, it gets read instantly and runs perfectly. I
> just checked my CFS II disk 1 and it is read instantly, as always.
>
> Since I changed nothing about the optical drive, didn't even blow it out
> for the stray dust particle, and since it works perfectly with all other
> disks, the conclusion was it was an invisible particle of something in
> just the wrong place on the disk that had initially failed, a particle
> that ultimately was dislodged. So, what I recommend is a thorough cleaning
> of the disk even though it looks perfect, coupled with a shot of
> compressed air in the drive itself just to be on the safe side. This is
> all empirical, but it's all I can conclude from the experience. Hope it
> helps.
>
> -Seadog

CFS2 has installed before on this drive with no issues. This is what's so
puzzling. Also, the noise created in the drive when the disk is inserted.
It's the CD I think, but the exact issue is up for grabs :)
DH
"Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
> overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
> trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
> (it even says so on the box).
>
> Good luck,
> Bumper7
> Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
>
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> Thank you.
>> DH
>>
>> "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
>>> disc one.

Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :)
DH

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :)
> DH

ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.

Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
to setup.exe?

-Seadog

Seadog wrote:
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :)
>> DH
>

> ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
> squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
> forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
>
> Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
> file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
> the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
> while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
> to setup.exe?
>
> -Seadog

Or the simplest way, duh, My Computer. -S.

Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the system
to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with the autorun
and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be able to isolate
it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as uninstallable. Shame, but
since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system integrity is more important than
installing CFS2.
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> Just cleaned the disk and tried it again. No soap! :)
>> DH
>
> ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
> squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
> forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
>
> Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a file
> manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see the
> files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key while the
> disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct to setup.exe?
>
> -Seadog

Again, you need to use a basic 'CDROM' drive, not a 'CD-RW' or anything else
that's fancy! You can get one for $10 at a used comp equip store, and the
cable & hookups are inside your computer right now (as long as you have an
extra bay available).
Good luck,
Bumper7

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
> icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the system
> to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with the autorun
> and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be able to isolate
> it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as uninstallable. Shame, but
> since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system integrity is more important than
> installing CFS2.
> Dudley

I dearly wish I could have helped, given all that you do for the rest of
us, but I understand your priorities. Don't toss it out, though. I
guarantee one day it will work perfectly for no apparent reason.

-Seadog

I really appreciate your help believe me, but CFS2 has installed quite well
on both this machine and many others using a CDRW drive. Actually, as this
issue has progressed and I've tried things, I just solved part of the issue
when I discovered that the last uninstall this morning had left 118 megs of
CFS2 files in the Microsoft Games folder that I missed somehow manually
checking after the uninstall was done. I deleted them and the program has
now installed correctly.
However, there is still a video issue that was there before as well. The
program will not display the opening screen and transition the video into
the settings screen. No video at all. As soon as the run program icon is
clicked during the installation process, the screen goes black....sound but
no video from that point onward. This would indicate either a video driver
issue or perhaps a long shot, the drivers for my new LCD monitor.
I have just switched monitors from an analog to an LCD which is using a DVI
interface. I'm thinking the DVI or the monitor driver might have something
to do with the loss of video within the CFS2 program, as the video showed
correctly during the install then went black as the program started the
opening video sequence.

> Again, you need to use a basic 'CDROM' drive, not a 'CD-RW' or anything
> else that's fancy! You can get one for $10 at a used comp equip store, and
> the cable & hookups are inside your computer right now (as long as you
> have an extra bay available).
> Good luck,
> Bumper7
>
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> Just did the shift thing and checked the files. Double clicked the setup
>> icon. Same thing. I even uninstalled the CDRW driver and rebooted the
>> system to install a new one just in case. Something is conflicting with
>> the autorun and install process on this one disk. I'll probably not be
>> able to isolate it, so I'm about ready to write off the program as
>> uninstallable. Shame, but since I'm testing FS9 betas, the system
>> integrity is more important than installing CFS2.
>> Dudley
>> "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ARRGGH! The sound I heard when I was having my one problem was a thin,
>>> squeaking or squealing sound, as if the disk were thrashing by lunging
>>> forward and quickly stalling, over and over again.
>>>
>>> Okay, so we accept the status quo. Have you tried using Explorer or a
>>> file manager utility to double click on setup.exe? Or can you not see
>>> the files? In other words, have you tried holding down the Shift key
>>> while the disc is spinning up to bypass Autorun, and then going direct
>>> to setup.exe?
>>>
>>> -Seadog

Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :)
Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of the
issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win for
trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my 6800GT AGP
card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable for a new LCD
monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something video wise in
CFS2.
Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :)
> Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of the
> issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win for
> trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my 6800GT AGP
> card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable for a new LCD
> monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something video wise in
> CFS2.
> Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
> Dudley

One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh
WinXP Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2,
and got the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the
opening movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops
the movie. Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full
Screen mode into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the
options menu is visible. Go to settings and set your game screen
resolution to match your desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go
back to Full Screen mode. Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least,
it just did for me. Whew! That was a puzzler for a while.

-Seadog

Sounds like you nailed it. After I uninstalled CFS2, I downloaded the new
EVGA driver 7777 and installed it. I haven't tried CFS again as I'm fairly
convinced at this point that new drivers concentrating on PCI-E and SLI,
even back engineered for my 6800GT are conflicting graphics wise with a sim
this old. I guess the bottom line is that sometimes you get a long range
trip with an old sim and sometimes you don't. FS9 is working flawlessly with
the new drivers, so I think I'll just shelve the old CFS2 and move on with
my work in FS9.
Many thanks for your interest. I'm glad you got it solved for yourself
anyway.
:))

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Sounds like you nailed it. After I uninstalled CFS2, I downloaded the new
> EVGA driver 7777 and installed it. I haven't tried CFS again as I'm fairly
> convinced at this point that new drivers concentrating on PCI-E and SLI,
> even back engineered for my 6800GT are conflicting graphics wise with a sim
> this old. I guess the bottom line is that sometimes you get a long range
> trip with an old sim and sometimes you don't. FS9 is working flawlessly with
> the new drivers, so I think I'll just shelve the old CFS2 and move on with
> my work in FS9.
> Many thanks for your interest. I'm glad you got it solved for yourself
> anyway.
> :))
> Dudley
> "Seadog" <Seadog@nunyabidness.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks dog! I hear your bark!! :)
>>>Catch my latest response to Rhodes. I got it installed which was part of
>>>the issue, but no video which was the other part of the issue. Can't win
>>>for trying I guess. I think it's a driver or adapter conflict with my
>>>6800GT AGP card. This is an old sim, plus I just changed to a DVI cable
>>>for a new LCD monitor. Perhaps I've gone a bridge too far for something
>>>video wise in CFS2.
>>>Anyway...thanks much for your kind help.
>>>Dudley
>>>

>>One last note for future reference, Dudley, though I see you've shelved
>>CFS2 for now. In the midst of other troubleshooting, I have a fresh WinXP
>>Pro (no service packs) install, so I did a fresh install of CFS2, and got
>>the same - if not worse - video problems. Solution: While the opening
>>movie is running but not visible, click the mouse. That stops the movie.
>>Screen remains black. Hit Alt + Enter to toggle out of Full Screen mode
>>into Windowed mode (just like in FS 9) and suddenly the options menu is
>>visible. Go to settings and set your game screen resolution to match your
>>desktop resolution. Hit Alt + Enter again to go back to Full Screen mode.
>>Voila. Everything runs as it should. At least, it just did for me. Whew!
>>That was a puzzler for a while.
>>
>>-Seadog

Not a driver problem. The native resolutions available for Win XP itself
start at 800 x 600 (right click desktop, click properties, click
settings and look at how low you can go). The native start-up resolution
for CFS2 is the old 640 x 480. That's why you can't see anything but a
black screen on initial installation until you reduce it to windowed
mode and re-set your sim's resolution. Easy as pie, once you know what
the deal is. Now, using the Advanced options on the desktop resolution
and going to the specific settings available for your card's driver, you
can go lower than 800 x 600, but WinXP doesn't know that by itself
natively. Honest, it's a piece of cake once you know these things. Have
no fear, persevere. There's no driver conflict, just a stupid old
mismatch in resolutions, thoughtfully brought to you by Win XP in the
spirit of keeping you from having to consider too many choices. <G>

-Seadog

I'll fiddle with this a bit and see what develops :)
DH

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> I'll fiddle with this a bit and see what develops :)
> DH

Good man. I know you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've got the 6600GT
with the latest drivers. If it works for me, it'll work for you.

-Seadog

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:47:05 -0700, "Phil Rhodes"

>To mention what FATSOS is implying, you must use a pure CDROM drive to
>overcome the copy protection problem. I had the same problem with IL-2,
>trying to run it on a CD-RW drive, and Maddox doesn't like you to do that
>(it even says so on the box).
>
>Good luck,
>Bumper7
>Fighter Ace Website: https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/
>
>"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> Thank you.
>> DH
>>
>> "FATSOS" <oncedarknessnowlight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Maybe your CDROM drive is having problems with the copy protection on
>>> disc one.
>>>
>>Villain

Hmmmm, I've *never* had a problem installing *any* software
from a CD-R or DVD-R drive including CFS 2. I also have installed all
of the IL-2 series. In fact, I was sort of dreading having a go at
Silent Hunter 3 because of all the flack here, but didn't have a
problem with install or play and my optical drives are both DVD-R's. I
didn't even have to uninstall Alcohol 120%.

Guess it goes back to the fact that every PC setup works
differently from any other.

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend"- Willow Rosenberg

I installed IL-2 etc with a CD-RW drive and played it successfully for a
while. HOWEVER, the time came when I could not. I would attempt to start the
game, and my comp would lock up tight. I would then have to do a cold
reboot! Eventually, I got some help (and read what is printed on the case
that IL-2 FB etc came in. i.e. "Not recommended for use the CD-RWs" under
System Requirements.

Good Luck,
Bumper7
Play Fighter Ace and have some real flying and fighting fun!