ATI All in Wonder 9700 - with hardware encoder?

TilRoquette

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Does anyone know whether the ATI all in wonder 9700 TV- and graphic card is equipped with a hardware encoder (as far as I know the predesessor AIW 8500DV does not)?

Til

jphillips

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
It does not. The only retail card I know of with an MPEG-2 hardware encoder is the WinTV PVR 250. eMuzed also makes such a card, but only sells them to OEM's for branding and packaginf in their systems - this is the card that is in the new HP MEdia Center PC.

The new USB 2.0 Tuner/Capture devices from Pinnacle (made by eMuzed actually) and Dazzle have MPEG-2 hardware encoders.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually the last guy was partly wrong. The 8500DV has "hardware assisted" encoding, which means that the onboard encoder does some of the work and leaves the rest up to the CPU. This is far more efficient than pure software encoding and far cheaper than pure hardware encoding. I certainly don't think the AIW9700 would be a step backwards from that.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>