Is this an Ethernet switch? And could I use it for my computer?

sesbetr72

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012
I have the 2 family computers, 1 work computer, and my xbox hooked up to my router so my router has no more ports for anything else. I am currently building a new computer for myself but will have no way to hook it up for internet connection. So my question is would I be able to use this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122363&cm_sp=Specials-_-33-122-363-_-12012012_1 for my computer? Also would the connection be slower if I have a switch connected to my computer? And if somebody could, can you give me a brief explanation on what a switch actually does?

Solution
Yes it will work fine with no impact.

You already have a switch in your router they just call them lan ports. Adding a switch just adds more ports. Its best to think of a switch a box that connects all the cable together.

Technically I can explain things like store and forward delays and serialization delays but unless you are designing data centers it makes no difference. This gets into tiny delays where you start factoring things like the speed of light. Even the cheapest gig switches you can find are many times faster than all the equipment people hook to them.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Yes it will work fine with no impact.

You already have a switch in your router they just call them lan ports. Adding a switch just adds more ports. Its best to think of a switch a box that connects all the cable together.

Technically I can explain things like store and forward delays and serialization delays but unless you are designing data centers it makes no difference. This gets into tiny delays where you start factoring things like the speed of light. Even the cheapest gig switches you can find are many times faster than all the equipment people hook to them.

Solution

sesbetr72

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012

Ok, just to make sure I can run my new computer off the thing I linked? Also how does it hook up to my router?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
The first one you linked is a better device and cheaper. They have pretty pictures in the data sheet that shows how to hook it up. I have never seen that first netgear before it has some interesting features for a device that inexpensive.