V551 Charger - Why So Whimpy?

Last response: in Brands
Share
January 11, 2005 2:04:31 PM

I have a new Motorola V551. My wife has a Nokia 6010. They have
similar batteries (type and amp/hr.), but the chargers are very
different. The V551 charger is rated at 375 milliamps. The 6010
charger is rated at 800 milliamps. Naturally, the Nokia charges more
than twice as fast as the Motorola. My previous Motorola had a 1.2
AMP charger! Why is the V551 charger so whimpy? Can I buy a
compatible charger that will provide more current? Or is 375 ma. all
the V551 can handle?

More about : v551 charger whimpy

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 10:32:11 PM

Check around, Motorola usually offers both a "standard" charger and a
"rapid" or "travel" charger that's much faster. I just ordered the new
rapid chargers for the v3 on ebay. Interestingly, the price is about
the same for both. Not sure why they bother with the "standard" one if
there's no price difference.

From:D ick
LeadWinger

> I have a new Motorola V551. My wife has a Nokia 6010. They have
> similar batteries (type and amp/hr.), but the chargers are very
> different. The V551 charger is rated at 375 milliamps. The 6010
> charger is rated at 800 milliamps. Naturally, the Nokia charges more
> than twice as fast as the Motorola. My previous Motorola had a 1.2
> AMP charger! Why is the V551 charger so whimpy? Can I buy a
> compatible charger that will provide more current? Or is 375 ma. all
> the V551 can handle?
January 11, 2005 10:32:12 PM

Interestingly, the SPN5037 travel charger is the only charger listed
for the phone by Motorola. Even the owner's manual mentions only the
travel charger. That's why I question if the 375 ma. travel charger
is the only one Motorola authorizes for use (and still keep within the
warranty.) Seems strange that there are no other OEM options for this
phone.

Dick

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:32:11 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Check around, Motorola usually offers both a "standard" charger and a
>"rapid" or "travel" charger that's much faster. I just ordered the new
>rapid chargers for the v3 on ebay. Interestingly, the price is about
>the same for both. Not sure why they bother with the "standard" one if
>there's no price difference.
>
>From:D ick
>LeadWinger
>
>> I have a new Motorola V551. My wife has a Nokia 6010. They have
>> similar batteries (type and amp/hr.), but the chargers are very
>> different. The V551 charger is rated at 375 milliamps. The 6010
>> charger is rated at 800 milliamps. Naturally, the Nokia charges more
>> than twice as fast as the Motorola. My previous Motorola had a 1.2
>> AMP charger! Why is the V551 charger so whimpy? Can I buy a
>> compatible charger that will provide more current? Or is 375 ma. all
>> the V551 can handle?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 9:02:53 PM

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
news:D 6i8u0tsjnp3d2mjjo21efk2j8b3bbkiie@4ax.com...
> Interestingly, the SPN5037 travel charger is the only charger listed
> for the phone by Motorola. Even the owner's manual mentions only the
> travel charger. That's why I question if the 375 ma. travel charger
> is the only one Motorola authorizes for use (and still keep within the
> warranty.) Seems strange that there are no other OEM options for this
> phone.
>
> Dick
>
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:32:11 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Check around, Motorola usually offers both a "standard" charger and a
>>"rapid" or "travel" charger that's much faster. I just ordered the new
>>rapid chargers for the v3 on ebay. Interestingly, the price is about
>>the same for both. Not sure why they bother with the "standard" one if
>>there's no price difference.
>>
>>From:D ick
>>LeadWinger
>>
>>> I have a new Motorola V551. My wife has a Nokia 6010. They have
>>> similar batteries (type and amp/hr.), but the chargers are very
>>> different. The V551 charger is rated at 375 milliamps. The 6010
>>> charger is rated at 800 milliamps. Naturally, the Nokia charges more
>>> than twice as fast as the Motorola. My previous Motorola had a 1.2
>>> AMP charger! Why is the V551 charger so whimpy? Can I buy a
>>> compatible charger that will provide more current? Or is 375 ma. all
>>> the V551 can handle?

I don't remember where I got the part number, but I have a NNTN4250B that I
charge my V400 with, with no ill effects. It's rated at 4.4v & 1.5 amps. I
read somewhere it was for an I100 Nextel phone.

I've used it for over a year now, first on a V60 and now my V400.

bamp
!