WinXP not detecting HDD

nvtbone

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
I have a WD200BB that I'm trying to get WinXP to read/write to. This is my configuration:
Asus P4S533
SiSIDE drivers v. 5.1.2610.0002
IBM Deskstar 40 GB HDD, ATA/100 Pri. Slave
WD200BB 20 GB HDD, ATA/100 Pri. Master
WD on second IDE plug on cable (from the MB)
OS WinXP SP1, all updates installed
Lite-on LTR-48125W, CD-RW, ATA/33 Sec. Master
Lite-on LTD-163D, DVD-ROM, ATA/33 Sec. Slave

I have tried using Partition Magic (which recognizes the drive) to format it as both FAT32 and NTFS, to no avail. All cables are connected properly, verified via triple-check. Any ideas, guys?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Before you can format the drive, you must partition ít. If Partition magic sees the drive, you can use PM to partition and format the it. If that fails, please specify som further details. Do you get any error messages?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

nvtbone

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2002
It does have a partition on it. It is partition with one Primary Partition spanning the entire drive. I cannot set that partition active, or unhide it. I have tried to boot to PM-DOS, and perform these tasks there, unsuccessfully. No error messages are present. Also, in Windows Explorer, I can see the drive, it has a small, red question mark near it, and no drive letter/label assigned to it. In Device Manager, it says that the drive is working properly.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Control panel> administrative tools> computer management> disk managment. Write a signature then partition and format from within windows. If I recall correctly older versions of partition magic had issues with Winxp.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!