Just a simple question about an ethernet cable

I have a modem and a linkseys router. There are 3 laptops on the router network but I'm about to buy a desktop PC and am going to connect the router to it via ethernet cable. Do I use a crossover cable or will a cat5e straight through cable be fine? I know most cables will work either way now-a-days but I currently have a cat5e straight through but it's old and don't know if it will work. Thank you in advance!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about just simple question ethernet cable
  1. usually you would use a straight through but a crossover would work as well
  2. The age of the cable does not really matter as long as it was not physically damaged in some way. It is the age of the equipment you are hooking it to more than anything that makes a difference. Older stuff did not have the proper chips to auto detect the cables and negotiate the straight/cross stuff.
  3. Okay its a linksey wrt54g router, probably like 6 or 7 years old. And alright cool I have the straight through cable
  4. Best answer
    After looking up your model of router, it looks as though it does, in fact, utilize MDI-X ports. This means that either straight-through or crossover will work just fine.
  5. Best answer selected by dan27.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Ethernet Card Cable Networking