Will installing delete my files?

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So I recently sold my computer, but kept my main HDD, with all of my data and such on it, such as many, many pictures, lots and lots of music and videos, and a whole bunch of music production project files. I bought parts for a new computer, and it is a new chipset, so I have to reinstall windows in order to use my computer. My question is, since I can't do the upgrade option, because it is a new chipset I can not do the necessary steps to use the upgrade option, will choosing custom installation delete all of my personal files such as pictures, music, etc? Or will it put it in a windows.old folder? Because I'm pretty sure that's what I did last time I reinstalled windows, but I wanted to check because I have lots of important files.

Solution
G
you will see during the installing process that you will be asked what to do. if you do not format and install on the same partition windows will put your User folders on a windows.old directory.
G

you will see during the installing process that you will be asked what to do. if you do not format and install on the same partition windows will put your User folders on a windows.old directory.

Solution