My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain him
in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of the
engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor cockpit
temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's the
trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
I need some good luck,
Bumper7

Phil Rhodes wrote:
> My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain him
> in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of the
> engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor cockpit
> temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's the
> trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
> I need some good luck,
> Bumper7

You want realism? Then you got realism.
In those days they did not have the metalurgy to handle the high temps
of a jet engine. The engines had a life expectancy of 10 hrs. if
handled correctly. From what I understand, they positioned their
airfields in the path of the B29 targets. When the bombers arrived they
sent the jets up to meet them. With high speeds they made 1 or 2 passes
and with their best remaining pilots were able to bring down 1 or 2
bombers with their cannons before they ran out of fuel and glided back
to a landing. It worked and their best strategy at the end of the war
with their ltd planes and pilots remaining. So don't think you are
doing anything wrong- that was the nature of the beast.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain him
> in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of the
> engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor cockpit
> temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's the
> trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
> I need some good luck,
> Bumper7

Treat the engines with kid gloves, be *very* gradual when throttling up.
I use the keyboard rather than js to control the throttle on the 262 and
even then will barely touch it, just set them at 80% and leave it there for
combat.

Thanks, Rob, it worked. I didn't even imagine that those engines were that
sensitive.
Bumper7
P.S. I you want to try Fighter Ace and need a wingman, let me know. You'll
find me in the level 9 or 10 room most any afternoon, PDT.
https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Phil Rhodes" <p.rhodes@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain
>> him in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of
>> the engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor
>> cockpit temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking,
>> what's the trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine
>> blowing?
>> I need some good luck,
>> Bumper7
>>

> Treat the engines with kid gloves, be *very* gradual when throttling up.
> I use the keyboard rather than js to control the throttle on the 262 and
> even then will barely touch it, just set them at 80% and leave it there
> for combat.

Gonzo

<Stockman91790@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Phil Rhodes wrote:
>> My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain
>> him
>> in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of the
>> engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor cockpit
>> temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's the
>> trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
>> I need some good luck,
>> Bumper7
>
> You want realism? Then you got realism.
> In those days they did not have the metalurgy to handle the high temps
> of a jet engine. The engines had a life expectancy of 10 hrs. if
> handled correctly. From what I understand, they positioned their
> airfields in the path of the B29 targets. When the bombers arrived they
> sent the jets up to meet them. With high speeds they made 1 or 2 passes
> and with their best remaining pilots were able to bring down 1 or 2
> bombers with their cannons before they ran out of fuel and glided back
> to a landing. It worked and their best strategy at the end of the war
> with their ltd planes and pilots remaining. So don't think you are
> doing anything wrong- that was the nature of the beast.

Um, Me262 didnt glide. Me163 Comet glided back down but it was not a jet,
it was rocket powered. You may be getting the two confused.

Also B29s were not used over Germany. Only in the PTO.

You are correct about having to baby the 262's throttle though. If he does
it correctly it will not catch on fire.

It's this type of attention to detail that i love about this game!!

<Stockman91790@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Phil Rhodes wrote:
> > My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain
him
> > in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of
the
> > engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor
cockpit
> > temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's the
> > trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
> > I need some good luck,
> > Bumper7
>
> You want realism? Then you got realism.
> In those days they did not have the metalurgy to handle the high temps
> of a jet engine. The engines had a life expectancy of 10 hrs. if
> handled correctly. From what I understand, they positioned their
> airfields in the path of the B29 targets. When the bombers arrived they
> sent the jets up to meet them. With high speeds they made 1 or 2 passes
> and with their best remaining pilots were able to bring down 1 or 2
> bombers with their cannons before they ran out of fuel and glided back
> to a landing. It worked and their best strategy at the end of the war
> with their ltd planes and pilots remaining. So don't think you are
> doing anything wrong- that was the nature of the beast.

Actually Phil is talking about the Me-262 not the Me-163 (Rocket plane)
The Me-262, a twin engine turbine jet powered fighter had very finicky(sic)
engines, you must start them at about 20% throttle, let them warm up a bit,
then increase the throttle very gradually, allowing
the turbines to spin up slowly, or the excess fuel explodes.

Rx

"Lee Hutchinson" <Blaklist@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> It's this type of attention to detail that i love about this game!!
>

> <Stockman91790@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Phil Rhodes wrote:
> > > My German Jabo pilot finally gets relieved and sent home. They retrain
> him
> > > in ME-262 and I'm thinking, wow! I starts my first mission and one of
> the
> > > engines blows up! And again, the right engine blows up. I monitor
> cockpit
> > > temps, and revs and still the engine blows up. So I'm asking, what's
the
> > > trick to finishing a mission in ME-262 without the engine blowing?
> > > I need some good luck,
> > > Bumper7
> >
> > You want realism? Then you got realism.
> > In those days they did not have the metalurgy to handle the high temps
> > of a jet engine. The engines had a life expectancy of 10 hrs. if
> > handled correctly. From what I understand, they positioned their
> > airfields in the path of the B29 targets. When the bombers arrived they
> > sent the jets up to meet them. With high speeds they made 1 or 2 passes
> > and with their best remaining pilots were able to bring down 1 or 2
> > bombers with their cannons before they ran out of fuel and glided back
> > to a landing. It worked and their best strategy at the end of the war
> > with their ltd planes and pilots remaining. So don't think you are
> > doing anything wrong- that was the nature of the beast.

Gonzo

Yes I know that, but the 262 did not glide back to earth. The 163 did.

While on the subject though, the 163 was actually more dangerous as it could
blow up if you sneezed much less touched the throttle. Not even sure it had
a throttle. Think the fuel was either open or closed. No in-between.

"Gonzo" <r_murphree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes I know that, but the 262 did not glide back to earth. The 163 did.
>
> While on the subject though, the 163 was actually more dangerous as it
> could blow up if you sneezed much less touched the throttle. Not even
> sure it had a throttle. Think the fuel was either open or closed. No
> in-between.

I dont think any rocket plane had a throttle until the mid stages of the
X-Plane programme. The 163 had a major issue with fumes building up in the
gas tank, even a hardish landing could blow them up. The 163 was a big
waste of time considering the resources spent vs results gained, much like
many of the Nazi 'wonder weapons'.