my A7V8X doesn't see my 512 memory

wyldchyld7x

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
I have a ASUS A7V8X MoBo and it says I have 256MB of RAM when in actuallity I have a single 512MB stick of Samsung PC3200/DDR400.
I purchased it from AJUMP.com part # 2070056.
My MoBo documantation says I need Samsung Model M368L6423DTM-CC4. Is there a way for me to find out what model ram I have?
I called AJUMP's tech support and they told me I need to overclock my FSB so that my MoBo will detect my RAM. Ive never OC'd anything so any help you can give me will be great.

sturm

Splendid
u shouldnt have to overclock to see it. the memory should run at any fsb speed 100,133,166. are u sure they didnt ship u a 256mb stick instead. also make sure the motherboard can handle high-density chips. if u can try installing it in a different computer and see what it comes up as. if its still 256 i would say they ripped u off. good luck

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Look on the actual memory chips for a part number and then look for it on Samsung's site. You'll be able to compare the specs with what you have.
Also, try inserting the memory module in another bank. If this one is in bank 0 (or bank 1), try bank 2 (or bank 3).
AJUMP's recommendation to overclock is bullsh**!

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>