Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New hard drive, windows 7 compatable?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 12:32:25 AM

My little sisters birthday is coming up and i want to give her my older laptop (2007). The only problem was the hard drive, which i have found already, and it turns out "windows vista" came pre installed, or we lost the windows vista disk. I need to know if i can get windows 7 and it be compatible with the hard drive that i am getting. the hard drive is the same as my old one, same copy and all.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If i could maybe get a quick answer on this please. i haven't ordered the hard drive yet, and her birthday will be coming up soon.

More about : hard drive windows compatable

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 12:44:22 AM

There is almost no such thing as "hard drive being Windows-7 compatible". In your case, you are facing the major question - what OS to put on that new drive. You can (try to) reinstall Vista (using the key already on the laptop), or spend $100 for OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Professional.

I would get Seagate Momentus XT (Hybrid) disk for that laptop instead, and would look to upgrade RAM as well (laptio RAM is pretty cheap these days).
Share
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 12:47:28 AM

The harddrive has absolutely nothing to do with operating system compatibility. You will have to check the manufacturers site to see if they have windows 7 drivers. And buy windows 7

There's also no reason you couldn't just put vista back on it.
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 12:50:50 AM

Alabalcho said:
There is almost no such thing as "hard drive being Windows-7 compatible". In your case, you are facing the major question - what OS to put on that new drive. You can (try to) reinstall Vista (using the key already on the laptop), or spend $100 for OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Professional.

I would get Seagate Momentus XT (Hybrid) disk for that laptop instead, and would look to upgrade RAM as well (laptio RAM is pretty cheap these days).




If windows 7 will work, then ill get that. I have no idea how to get the old key, and honestly, i think it could use an upgrade. Ill go ahead and order windows 7 and the hard drive. the only problem i see now is installing the hard drive since i have never replaced a computer part :p .
m
0
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 12:52:45 AM

Anonymous said:
If windows 7 will work, then ill get that. I have no idea how to get the old key, and honestly, i think it could use an upgrade. Ill go ahead and order windows 7 and the hard drive. the only problem i see now is installing the hard drive since i have never replaced a computer part :p .


If you haven't taken the old harddrive out yet then how do you know its bad?
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 1:01:08 AM

unksol said:
If you haven't taken the old harddrive out yet then how do you know its bad?


It doesn't matter. its old and could fail at any time, also takes a very long time to start up. i want to get a new one to ensure that nothing happens to it in the future,considering that my little sister will be getting it.
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 1:44:17 AM

Best answer selected by doomdiger.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 1:52:43 AM

If you replace your old hard drive with SAME one, it will not get faster (mechanically or electrically). The computer would run faster because there is not much clutter left.

As for your old key - it is for VISTA, and only for the Vvista that was loaded on your laptop. You cannot use that key with Windows 7, you need a new key for that. You can buy "Upgrade" version of Windows 7, and use the fact that you own previous (compliant) Windows version.
m
0
l
Anonymous
May 18, 2012 3:46:02 AM

Alabalcho said:
If you replace your old hard drive with SAME one, it will not get faster (mechanically or electrically). The computer would run faster because there is not much clutter left.

As for your old key - it is for VISTA, and only for the Vvista that was loaded on your laptop. You cannot use that key with Windows 7, you need a new key for that. You can buy "Upgrade" version of Windows 7, and use the fact that you own previous (compliant) Windows version.


well, i guess i just wont bother buying the new one and just buy the upgrade if nothings wrong with it. where do i buy the upgrade pack?

thanks.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 4:15:28 PM

You can get Windows 7 Upgrade from many places, depending where on the Mother Earth you are living. In places where Amazon in available, they sell it for like $110 http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Up.... If you have brick-n-mortar around, you can see there as well (but it will be more expensive, probably)
m
0
l
!