Plass

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
Anybody using any of the illuminated keyboards out there? Was thinking about buying the Zippy one, but was curious about any feedback?

Thanks!

metatrophia

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
ive been interested in getting an illuminated keyboard as well. now, im usually not one to always buy the "biggest and best", but as i understand it, if you buy an illuminated keyboard, it had better be an eluminx. i think THG has an old article on the eluminx. in any case, let us know what you decide.

Vintage48

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
:hello: Hi,

I ordered a "Zippy" illuminated keyboard last week and when it arrived yesterday I happily hooked it up. :bounce:
Half an hour later I unhappily unhooked it and I'll be sending it back to the company (Fentek Industries) on Monday. :cry:

The biggest problem was the "illumination" part. It just didn't seem bright enough for my purposes. I want to be able to e-mail in the darkened bedroom where our computer lives and not disturb my "better half" who insists on keeping fairly normal hours despite the fact that he is now retired. Yeah, go figure... :whistle:
I realize now that I'd prefer an illuminated keyboard with ADJUSTABLE lighting on it but I didn't know that until this keyboard arrived and looked so dim.

The second big disappointment is the amount of noise the keys make while typing! I recently bought a Microsoft keyboard (non-illuminated variety) over at Office Depot for about $25 that is MUCH quieter! The keys on the Zippy make a distinctive "CLICK CLICK CLICK" that reminded me of an old fashioned typewriter.

Third: It took me FOREVER to locate the "delete" key which is perched all the way on the top right hand corner, up next to the key that turns the illumination on and off. Why not keep it where it belongs...?

Four: The numberpad is right smack up against the letter keys with no space between the two areas. That may make the keyboard smaller but I'm a klutz and my mind boggled at all the times I'd probably hit the wrong keys in the dark on this "under-illuminated" keyboard. :ouch:

Fentek said they wouldn't charge me a re-stocking fee if I bought another keyboard from them but the
only other "choice" is the Logitech keyboard (PN-920-000914) for $75 (their price). The problem with that one is the "ENTER" key is small and not the "L" shape I'd like. Since the price of this keyboard was supposedly on sale for $45.99 (as advertised on Fentek's site) I was a little annoyed to discover that Fentek had actually charged me $49.99. Well, there's their "restocking fee" paid in advance, I guess.

I'm looking into the FireFly keyboard which is illuminated (backlit) by electroluminesence rather than LED. According to their salesman, Scott (a Wizard of some sort!), the EL lasts longer and is better than the LED.
If you do contact Scott at the FireFly site, make sure he honors the discount promised in a pop-up that kept appearing on their site. I had an arguement with their "virtual assistant" ('Jenny') about it; right out of the MARX BROTHERS!!

Hope this helps!
PS-I'm still looking around and if ANYONE here has suggestions for illuminated/backlit keyboards that they've owned and would buy again in a heartbeat, I'd LOVE to hear from them. I'm not a "gamer" so I don't need the extra keys along the side. But I would like to know if there is a "happy medium" between a backlit keyboard that seems too dark and murky and a white or silver keyboard that looks (and sounds) like the carnival just arrived in town! Yeah, I don't ask for much, do I...? :lol:

PPS- This looks like a GREAT place to visit!!