Developing applications for Palm/PPC/Symbian?! What enviro..

May 25, 2004 4:50:08 PM

Archived from groups: codewarrior.palm,codewarrior.symbian,codewarrior.wireless,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi!
I'm looking for an enviroment in which I could develop applications
for Palm OS, Pocket PC and Symbian as target platforms.

I had a look at AppForge but it was ruled out because of licencing
policy on runtimes (there souhld be no client license costs).

I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

Any other suggestion?

TIA
Pret
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:14:12 AM

Pret Orian wrote:
> I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
> Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
> applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
> Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

While there are CodeWarrior development environments for Palm OS and
Symbian, there is no cross-compilation framework; you have to develop
for the specific APIs in both OSes.

> How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

Low-end Palm OS devices don't handle Java well, but recent ARM-based
devices, including the $150 Zire 31, can do a good job running the IBM
J9 JVM, a MIDP 2.0 platform.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 4:41:29 AM

Ben Combee <combee@techwood.org> wrote in message news:<EGOsc.10269$be.3351@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> > How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?
>
> Low-end Palm OS devices don't handle Java well, but recent ARM-based
> devices, including the $150 Zire 31, can do a good job running the IBM
> J9 JVM, a MIDP 2.0 platform.

But do think that the older/cheaper Palm units could serve as platform
for _simple_ java applications? I need the app to be running
especially on low-end Palm units. `

Do this IBM JVMs require license that needs to be purchased?

With Java - would I also need be writing code for specific APIs or
could I end up writing one code to cover all 3 OSs?

The App would serve to enter some data... just few Forms and file to
store the information (input only).

TIA
May 26, 2004 10:51:13 PM

Archived from groups: codewarrior.palm,codewarrior.symbian,codewarrior.wireless,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <9849ae9d.0405252341.7ceca2d7@posting.google.com>,
pretorianboy@yahoo.com (Pret Orian) wrote:

> Ben Combee <combee@techwood.org> wrote in message
>
> > > How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?
> >
> > Low-end Palm OS devices don't handle Java well, but recent ARM-based
> > devices, including the $150 Zire 31, can do a good job running the IBM
> > J9 JVM, a MIDP 2.0 platform.
>
> But do think that the older/cheaper Palm units could serve as platform
> for _simple_ java applications? I need the app to be running
> especially on low-end Palm units. `

You need to get more specific. Exactly which older/cheaper Palm units?
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 10:51:14 PM

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message news:<guy-2605041151410001@192.168.1.103>...

> > But do think that the older/cheaper Palm units could serve as platform
> > for _simple_ java applications? I need the app to be running
> > especially on low-end Palm units. `
>
> You need to get more specific. Exactly which older/cheaper Palm units?

Say IIIxe, Zire (16 Mhz), Zire 21 (116 Mhz)...
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 3:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: codewarrior.palm,codewarrior.symbian,codewarrior.wireless,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <9849ae9d.0405261512.834c1d8@posting.google.com>,
pretorianboy@yahoo.com (Pret Orian) wrote:

> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message
>
> > > But do think that the older/cheaper Palm units could serve as platform
> > > for _simple_ java applications? I need the app to be running
> > > especially on low-end Palm units. `
> >
> > You need to get more specific. Exactly which older/cheaper Palm units?
>
> Say IIIxe, Zire (16 Mhz), Zire 21 (116 Mhz)...

Anyone know if there are Java VMs for those devices?
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 7:29:18 AM

Guy Bannis wrote:
> In article <9849ae9d.0405261512.834c1d8@posting.google.com>,
> pretorianboy@yahoo.com (Pret Orian) wrote:
>

>>guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message

>>>You need to get more specific. Exactly which older/cheaper Palm units?
>>
>>Say IIIxe, Zire (16 Mhz), Zire 21 (116 Mhz)...
>
> Anyone know if there are Java VMs for those devices?

Sun released KVM, a small Java Virtual Machine that runs on the 68K
devices. It only supports CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 1.0, AFAIK. Details are at
http://java.sun.com/products/midp4palm/. This should work on the Palm
IIIxe with its 8MB, but may have problems on the original Zire due to it
only having 2MB of memory.

IBM has two different VMs. There's a 68K VM that does MIDP 1.0 that
runs on the PalmOne Tungsten W (they don't indicate it running on other
68K devices, but it's worth a try), and an ARM-based VM that does MIDP
2.0 that runs on Treo 600, Tungsten C, Tungsten T3, Tungsten T2,
Tungsten E, Zire 71. The ARM VM may work on the Zire 21; the device may
not have enough memory, and I don't know if the VM has been tested with
a monochrome screen.
May 27, 2004 8:07:02 AM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <9849ae9d.0405261512.834c1d8@posting.google.com>,
> pretorianboy@yahoo.com (Pret Orian) wrote:
>
>> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote in message

>> > You need to get more specific. Exactly which older/cheaper Palm units?
>>
>> Say IIIxe, Zire (16 Mhz), Zire 21 (116 Mhz)...
>
> Anyone know if there are Java VMs for those devices?

SuperWaba
-------------
SuperWaba is a Java Virtual Machine that can be run in Palm OS, Pocket PC,
Windows CE and AppletViewer. You can write and debug the programs in your
favorite Java IDE.
http://www.wabasoft.com/
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:57:33 AM

In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot Ben Combee <combee@techwood.org> wrote:
: Pret Orian wrote:
: > I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
: > Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
: > applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
: > Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

: While there are CodeWarrior development environments for Palm OS and
: Symbian, there is no cross-compilation framework; you have to develop
: for the specific APIs in both OSes.

: > How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

: Low-end Palm OS devices don't handle Java well, but recent ARM-based
: devices, including the $150 Zire 31, can do a good job running the IBM
: J9 JVM, a MIDP 2.0 platform.

I find this strange, given that the "PalmOS Bible" reports that v5 of
the PalmOS is the first version to run on an ARM instead of the M68K
for greater speed. ARM assembly programming is not that difficult, and
good C/C++ compilers (optimizing for ARM target code) should be preferable
to Java, which compiles faster (to bytecode) but runs much slower.
!