Wireless Network

I have an existing wireless network with two computers on
it, i would like to add another, but through an ethernet
cable right to the base station. Another rep. told me i
didn't need software in that computer, and that i could
just plug it in, i did, however i get no connection on
that computer, is there something i have to do to change
the settings, network or internet?
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless network

    Yes -- the computer is probably set for dialup by
    default, and you need to change that.

    For XP, go to Network Connections run the wizard and add
    a new network connection (set it to get a dynamic IP from
    the "server"). And if you plan in never using dialup,
    disable the dialup connection.

    On IE, go to options, and make sure that it only dials
    out whenever a network connection is not present (or if
    never using dialup, select that instead).

    thank you, however that computer is running windows 98,
    so what do i do here?

    You may want to use the install CD that came with the
    MN500. It will run the wizard to setup the entwork on
    win98. The same part for IE will still apply. Before
    running the wizard, I'd recommend using one of the other
    computers to get to the MN500 and save the current
    settings MN500 (it's under Management/Back Up).

    For a manual setup, you need to go to the Network
    properties, and add a TCP/IP connection for the Network
    card if it is not already installed. I don't remember all
    the details for Win98, but essentially you need to add
    two or three types of elements (look the elements that
    were set for dialup as guide).

    When i run the install CD for the network, which network
    adapter do i choose, it won't install untill i choose an
    adapter, and what i don't understand is that i'm not
    using an adapter, i have the ethernet plugged directly
    into the back of my comp.

    Then you don't need to install the software, Craig. If you're on Windows
    XP, just go into Network Connections and "Create a new connection" starting
    in the left pane. The only hardware you're dealing with is the Network
    Interface Card, which is already installed on the system. You just need to
    make sure you're part of the same Workgroup for the Local Area Network.
    Everything else should be automatic from the DHCP feed of the router.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When i run the install CD for the network, which network
    > adapter do i choose, it won't install untill i choose an
    > adapter, and what i don't understand is that i'm not
    > using an adapter, i have the ethernet plugged directly
    > into the back of my comp.

    I have win 98, so wat do i do?

    I don't have any system here with Windows 98 on it, but you should be able
    to do basically the same thing. If that system has a dial-up modem in it, I
    would disable it first so there's no attempt to "bridge" between networking
    devices. You should also remove references to dial-up settings in Internet
    Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections
    --

    >I have win 98, so wat do i do?

Routers Wireless Network Computers Networking