Sign in with
Your question

Another Raid 0 sob story

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2002 2:15:09 PM

First time poster, LOOOOOONG time lurker!
I have a problem with my Raid 0, Broken Stripe. Raid consists of 2 IBM dtla 60's on a KT7A-Raid MB jumpered for CS. Worked great for over a year, until.... I moved one of the drives from channel 1 to channel 0, booted and it no longer saw the raid (doesn't like CS). I then made what I believe to be a "Fatal" mistake. I then make one of the drives a "boot" disk in the High-Point setup screen. My question is ... Is it possible to recover from this? I placed everything back as it was. Still broken stripe and no boot. I have duplicated the procedure on a second pair of identical 60Gb drives that I can use for T-shooting with the same results. I have used the raidrb utility and it was no help. I have sent an Email to the good folks at HighPoint but have yet to hear back from them. There is 110G of stuff that I would really like to get back if possible. I know " should have backed it up " but this thing has been so solid for the last year I took it for granted. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : raid sob story

November 11, 2002 4:54:29 AM

Your fatal mistake has altered data on the drives, so the controller no longer sees the drives as a valid array. As long as the controller doesnt recognise the array, there is next to nothing you can attempt with ordinary data recovery tools.
You can try creating a new array, since that will make the controller recognise the disks. That in itself doesnt erase the entire disk. Then install a third drive to the normal IDE controller. Install the OS and RAID drivers on that and boot from it. Now you can use a tool like <A HREF="http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm" target="_new">GetDataBack</A> to recover the files.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>
!