Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motorola SBG6580 - or separate modem and router?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Motorola
  • Modem
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 3, 2012 11:40:37 PM

We upgraded to Comcast Business recently and with the upgrade decided to purchase a new modem (rather than paying the monthly Comcast rent fee).

The Comcast device list recommends the Motorola SB6121 for their Comcast Business Starter service, but the sales person at BestBuy persuaded us to go with the Motorola SBG6580 instead - sales pitch: "same model, except it comes with built-in router & Wi-Fi".

Since we were going to upgrade the wifi router, as well, this seemed like a good idea.

A couple of weeks into the service upgrade, I am just not sure if it was really an "upgrade". Comcast Business Starter guarantees 16/3MB, but via Wi-Fi (which most of our office machines connect to) we rarely see more than 4-6MB, even when connecting the computer via Ethernet to a brand new Belkin range extender.

Question: would it make sense to install a separate Wi-Fi router to see better speed performance?
We always had Belkin routers, so just not sure how Motorola's modem-routers compare when it comes to speed performance ...

More about : motorola sbg6580 separate modem router

December 14, 2012 3:33:09 PM

JulesSF said:
We upgraded to Comcast Business recently and with the upgrade decided to purchase a new modem (rather than paying the monthly Comcast rent fee).

The Comcast device list recommends the Motorola SB6121 for their Comcast Business Starter service, but the sales person at BestBuy persuaded us to go with the Motorola SBG6580 instead - sales pitch: "same model, except it comes with built-in router & Wi-Fi".

Since we were going to upgrade the wifi router, as well, this seemed like a good idea.

A couple of weeks into the service upgrade, I am just not sure if it was really an "upgrade". Comcast Business Starter guarantees 16/3MB, but via Wi-Fi (which most of our office machines connect to) we rarely see more than 4-6MB, even when connecting the computer via Ethernet to a brand new Belkin range extender.

Question: would it make sense to install a separate Wi-Fi router to see better speed performance?
We always had Belkin routers, so just not sure how Motorola's modem-routers compare when it comes to speed performance ...

Generally the all in one devices work decently. But I have not seen one perform better than a separate modem and router. Also some settings you may want to check for your wifi. With speed issues I normally try setting the wifi to wpa2-aes security and channel 11. If that doesn't work you can try a few others.
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:25:17 PM

in my opinion you should have listened to Comcast the SB6121 plus a router is the better option but a little more expensive.

I have the SB6121 and run a Netgear WNDR3700 router.

I have not had much luck with the SB6580 and neither with Belkin equipment
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 16, 2012 12:00:31 AM

JulesSF said:

I have never seen a combo unit that will beat a separate setup unless you just buy a POS router for the separate setup. Plus its easier to change out a router than a modem since the modem has to be re-provisioned should you decide to change wireless in another year [hear there is a new protocol coming out that's getting all the hype http://www.extremetech.com/computing/140461-new-wifi-pr... - of course its probably just hype thought this is is purely software and could be updated IF moto decide to do that and not only deploy it in newer models]. Anyway, separate IMHO.
December 25, 2012 11:17:02 PM

Best answer selected by JulesSF.
m
l
!