Recording Live Audio Tracks

Last response: in Home Audio
November 4, 2004 5:10:52 PM

Hello All,

Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and want
to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments) 6 audio
(vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.

Not sure what hardware is required nor possible software.

Request any and all suggestions

Newbie Mac User Recorder :)
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:10:53 PM

CPT Boy <noneofyourbiz@aolhell.com> wrote:

>Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and want
>to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments) 6 audio
>(vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.

If your mixer puts out a line level stereo signal, the least costly
solution is probably the M-Audio Transit (around $70).

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:38:10 PM

CPT Boy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and want
> to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments) 6 audio
> (vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.
>
> Not sure what hardware is required nor possible software.
>
> Request any and all suggestions
>
> Newbie Mac User Recorder :)

If all you are doing is stereo archive recording the Griffin usb Imic
(ebay, compusa,apple stores about 30$)
does it
and does it better that 1000$ worth of other interfaces I have owned
(USBPre and M-audio firewire 410)
George
November 4, 2004 9:45:15 PM

George Gleason wrote:

> CPT Boy wrote:

> > Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and want
> > to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments) 6 audio
> > (vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.

> > Not sure what hardware is required nor possible software.

> > Request any and all suggestions

Provide a budget, please.

> > Newbie Mac User Recorder :)

> If all you are doing is stereo archive recording the Griffin usb Imic
> (ebay, compusa,apple stores about 30$)
> does it
> and does it better that 1000$ worth of other interfaces I have owned
> (USBPre and M-audio firewire 410)

Really a sensible thing to do in cases like this point the OP to
DAW-Mac, where, admittedly, the Imic is not a hot item, but where the
USB Pre and the FW410 have been seen to work. There are zillions of
possible solutions for a query like this.

ha
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:01:59 PM

moskowit@panix.com (Len Moskowitz) wrote in

> CPT Boy <noneofyourbiz@aolhell.com> wrote:
>
>>Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and
>>want to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments)
>>6 audio (vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.
>
> If your mixer puts out a line level stereo signal, the least costly
> solution is probably the M-Audio Transit (around $70).

thanks for alot of the suggestions and will check them all out. I see
alot of pgms out there that show multiple tracks with the lead on one
track, tenor, soprano, etc.. all on seperate tracks. I'm I getting into
big money when trying to accomplish that? So in a nutshell, I guess i'm
looking at dropping each line (mike/instrument) into it's own track.

Newbie
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:56:29 PM

CPT Boy wrote:

> thanks for alot of the suggestions and will check them all out. I
> see alot of pgms out there that show multiple tracks with the lead
> on one track, tenor, soprano, etc.. all on seperate tracks. I'm I
> getting into big money when trying to accomplish that? So in a
> nutshell, I guess i'm looking at dropping each line
> (mike/instrument) into it's own track.

Take a look at the alt.music.home-studio FAQ and consider logging onto
the group.
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amh-s-faq.html

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:

hank alrich wrote:
> George Gleason wrote:
>

>>CPT Boy wrote:
>

>>>Newbie to recording live audio on computer. Using a G4 Powerbook and want
>>>to know what I need to record audio tracks (vocal & instruments) 6 audio
>>>(vocal) 6 (instruments) from my mixer.
>

>>>Not sure what hardware is required nor possible software.
>

>>>Request any and all suggestions
>

> Provide a budget, please.
>

>>>Newbie Mac User Recorder :)
>

>>If all you are doing is stereo archive recording the Griffin usb Imic
>>(ebay, compusa,apple stores about 30$)
>>does it
>>and does it better that 1000$ worth of other interfaces I have owned
>>(USBPre and M-audio firewire 410)
>

> Really a sensible thing to do in cases like this point the OP to
> DAW-Mac, where, admittedly, the Imic is not a hot item, but where the
> USB Pre and the FW410 have been seen to work. There are zillions of
> possible solutions for a query like this.

> ha

275.00 will get anyone my 410
never been used(sucessfully)
I sell the USB Pre but it was stolen from me
George
!