Marantz CDR-300 portable CD recorder (questions)

Last response: in Home Audio
November 4, 2004 11:28:46 AM

I've done a quick Google search and can't find any recent messages from
people here who use the Marantz CDR-300 portable CD recorder. It seems
like a fairly nice small package for what it claims to do--but I'd really
like to hear from any audio professional who can tell me some real-world
things about it, such as:

[1] Is it reliable in live recording situations, assuming that you are
working from a reliable powering source? Is there anything particularly
delicate about it?

[2] Any comments on the microphone preamps--overload limit, equivalent
input noise level? Is the 48 Volt phantom powering reliable and how much
current per microphone is available?

[3] What types and brands of blank CDs does it work well with, or not
work well with? Has that changed over time (e.g. some older recorders
don't work well with newer, high-speed blanks)?

[4] How long does it take to change over from one disc to the next when
you're recording a long program? In other words, how much time is lost
as it writes the pre-TOC, then when you eject the old disc and put in a
new one and it performs its power calibration routine? (Typically that's
about 30 - 40 seconds with other decks; if it's less than that, great.)

[5] How accurate is its level metering for live recording?

[6] Any experiences with Marantz's service and/or service manuals for
this type of unit?

[7] There's an add-on rechargeable battery--any experiences with it?

[8] Any problems feeding its S-P/DIF input from external A/D converters,
or feeding its unbalanced aux inputs from external microphone preamps?

Many thanks for any informative replies.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 7:55:51 PM

And I want to know too! In fact, I convinced someone to buy one, and
he is very happy with it---but he won't loan it to me! And I can't find
a place in Toronto to rent one. I am quite intrigued by it but I can't
try one out.

I love the idea of it. For the less critical recordings a very portable
set up that allows me to hand the disc over to the client 5 minutes
after their performance. I don't have to see them again! I can do a
church recital---in and out in less than 3 hours.

And for the more critical stuff it can be a nice back up.

Rob R.

David Satz <DSatz@msn.com> wrote:
> I've done a quick Google search and can't find any recent messages from
> people here who use the Marantz CDR-300 portable CD recorder. It seems
> like a fairly nice small package for what it claims to do--but I'd really
> like to hear from any audio professional who can tell me some real-world
> things about it, such as:

> [1] Is it reliable in live recording situations, assuming that you are
> working from a reliable powering source? Is there anything particularly
> delicate about it?

> [2] Any comments on the microphone preamps--overload limit, equivalent
> input noise level? Is the 48 Volt phantom powering reliable and how much
> current per microphone is available?

> [3] What types and brands of blank CDs does it work well with, or not
> work well with? Has that changed over time (e.g. some older recorders
> don't work well with newer, high-speed blanks)?

> [4] How long does it take to change over from one disc to the next when
> you're recording a long program? In other words, how much time is lost
> as it writes the pre-TOC, then when you eject the old disc and put in a
> new one and it performs its power calibration routine? (Typically that's
> about 30 - 40 seconds with other decks; if it's less than that, great.)

> [5] How accurate is its level metering for live recording?

> [6] Any experiences with Marantz's service and/or service manuals for
> this type of unit?

> [7] There's an add-on rechargeable battery--any experiences with it?

> [8] Any problems feeding its S-P/DIF input from external A/D converters,
> or feeding its unbalanced aux inputs from external microphone preamps?

> Many thanks for any informative replies.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:18:41 PM

Hi David,

I learned about a couple of issues... Please note: These are my friend's
experiences. Furthermore, he has no prior experience recording music.
This is his first recorder. He bought it so that he can have some fun
recording his cello performances.

David Satz <DSatz@msn.com> wrote:

> [1] Is it reliable in live recording situations, assuming that you are
> working from a reliable powering source? Is there anything particularly
> delicate about it?

He had problems using it on uneven surfaces. It appears to need sit
on horizontal or near-horizontal surfaces. I would have expected that,
but he was surprised since it is marketed as something a reporter can
take out in the field.

> [7] There's an add-on rechargeable battery--any experiences with it?

Apparently the battery pack is very bulky. He said it weighs almost
as much as a car battery. He ordered it, and returned it because of
this. I am rather surprised by this.

Rob R.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 9:17:57 PM

In article <cmt4fh$9hp$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca> reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca writes:

> It appears to need sit
> on horizontal or near-horizontal surfaces. I would have expected that,
> but he was surprised since it is marketed as something a reporter can
> take out in the field.

That only needs to mean that it can be carried easily and may be
independend of AC power. It doesn't mean it will work slung over the
reporter's shoulder while he's chasing the fire chief for a sound
bite. That's where flash card recorders work best.

I wasn't impressed with the noise specification when the microphone
input was used. Not a whole lot quieter than a cassette.