Speaker Selection

razor257

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I recently purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum, and I am looking for the perfect speakers to match this great card. I'm currently considering the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's. I was curious to see if there are any other high end options, or does Klipsch have the market cornered?

Artanis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Fromwhat I hear, Klipsch makes the best sound system. Not only for PC, but they also make outstanding speakers of Hi-Fi systems.
The Logitech are also supposed to be very good. but I think Klipsch is better.

dakels

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Not too long ago, I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on short range computer speakers but they have gotten alot better in the past few years. The higher end models like Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 use some decent cones and preamps to give a respectable stereo quality sound. The biggest problem with computer speakers, even high quality ones, is the short range, low RMS wattage, and overpowered highs and lows with a poor midrange. The good thing is the ease of use along with a short ranged, clear low volumes that works well for the targeted usage (in front of your computer).

Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 are the top model multimedia speakers. I have tried the 4.1's and I thought they were great for the intended usage. They don't perform too well at high volumes though. I noticed a fair amount of THD and noise. At a medium db range, they sounded very crisp but again, like all computer speakers, the highs are a little tinny, the bass is over exaggerated and distorted, and the mids are a bit dark. Still, that's being overly critical and these are certainly one of the best multimedia speakers I ever heard. The new 5.1's should have a better preamp so noise should not be a big factor like they were in older models.
VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS 5.1 or the Sirroco's are on par with Klipsh high end systems. They are a UK based company though with minimal shipping to the US. They have some US vendors but they don't often carry the newest highest end stuff. Still, at least 2 online vendors carry the DigiTheatre DTS 5.1 systems and for a reasonable price of $300-320.
http://www.buypcdirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=PADIGITHDTS&dept_id=

If it were me, I would probably want the VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS 5.1's, but the Klipsch may be better supported by computer hardware/software and also easier to deal with the manufacturer. Therefore I would spend the $30-40 extra for the Klipsch. For my personal usage, my mac is using a ProTools 4 channel mixing card going to my normal stereo (mix of components like Audible illusions, Carver, Nakamichi, etc). Thats all super high end stuff I am using temporarily for mixing not computer music or game listening. It takes 20 minutes just to heat up my tube amp anyways. My other Win XP machine with normal computer speakers just has a pair of half decent Monsoons. I basically got those only due to the special price and convenient size. Not great but not bad for playing warcraft and UT. When I return the high end equipment I may buy the Klipsch 5.1's for my normal computer listening and DVD movie watching from my bedroom TV. I am pretty impressed at the package.

Enjoy the Klipsch! They are about the best computer speakers you can buy and are good enough to substitute as DVD/surround sound home theater speakers. Just remember, these are computer speakers. Don't expect them to have the same range as normal stereo speakers. Once you go past about 10 feet, the sound tends to drop off. You should be able to get the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's for around $350. Tell us what you think after you get them. BTW if you are a newegg fan like the rest of us, they sell them their for a very good price. Knowing them, their shipping will be great too.

p.s. the Logitechs are pretty crappy next to the Klipsch. If you're gonna go cheap then get an older model Klipsch or a Yamaha set or even the cheaper VideoLogic set that sells for around $100. I should add though that for the price, the Logictech 560's are very good for the money (low prices are about $120). Also check out Yamaha's 5.1 series.