BOB Wings Of Victory II Limited Edition

am

Hello

I just got BOB WOV II
Anyone playing/flying this here ?
Any opinions ?

It says limited edition and comes with
a map, with a keycard map on the other side
and of all things a PRINTED MANUAL !!!!
(what of earth were they thinking here ??)
Also came with a DVD movie on the battle of
Brittan. (which is pretty cool !)
Just a quick look at ingame clouds, and they
are some of the best ever. Cockpit of Spit.
looks nice, ground terrain not bad either
Very good options menu, can control AA, and
Ansio from there as well for my video card.
There is an update available, I have already
applied it.

AM

Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

It looks pretty good so far. Too bad it's single player only but the
reality of it is I can never find people to fly with for any other sim
that aren't either totaly ANAL or total buffoons that must smoke pot
all day long so SP is fine as long as the Campaign engineis good,,,

Go here to discuss BoBII
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=130

Icer

>n Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:02:06 -0400, AM <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote:
>Hello
>I just got BOB WOV II
>Anyone playing/flying this here ?
>Any opinions ?
>
>It says limited edition and comes with
>a map, with a keycard map on the other side
>and of all things a PRINTED MANUAL !!!!
>(what of earth were they thinking here ??)
>Also came with a DVD movie on the battle of
>Brittan. (which is pretty cool !)
>Just a quick look at ingame clouds, and they
>are some of the best ever. Cockpit of Spit.
>looks nice, ground terrain not bad either
>Very good options menu, can control AA, and
>Ansio from there as well for my video card.
>There is an update available, I have already
>applied it.

>AM
>
>Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff over
the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it was
unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and this 'new
version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its patched - dont pay
developers to beta test for them.

Nats

G. Patricks wrote:
> the reality of it is I can never find people to fly with for any other sim
> that aren't either totaly ANAL or total buffoons that must smoke pot
> all day long

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!

James

Nats wrote:
> Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff over
> the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it was
> unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and this 'new
> version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its patched - dont pay
> developers to beta test for them.
>
> Nats

The patch is out and it fixes my problems. Be aware that the patch .exe
can also be used "standalone" to disable all unneccessary services on
your PC in order to let the game run well. It's a must for getting this
game to run, but I also noticed after disabling all those services that
IL2-FB loads up in literally 1/4 the time it used to take, my frame
rates are better and it didn't seem to harm any of my existing apps.
TrackIR, JoyToKey and my Saitek profiles all running happily along with
MultiRes and PowerStrip (to give me more than 60Hx refresh rate).

I think the game f*ing RULES. The graphics are more than adequate, the
SOUNDS are AMAZING (way better than IL2's), and get this - 6DOF support,
and *hundreds* of planes in the air at once!

Clouds are really nice, and there are no "dot" problems like those that
existed in IL2 for years.

The included DVD, which is basically like a 60 minute History Channel
special on the Battle of Britain, really helps to set the stage for the
historic missions that you can engage in. The map is good to use as a
reference for idiots like me who knew nothning about this to begin with.

I admit that the performance of the game leaves a bit to be desired. I
mean, I've got a P4 3.2GHz with HyperThreading and 1GB of RAM, and a
GT6800 graphics card. yet, I only manage 30 fps in the air, and tehre
are lots of little micro-pauses. It seems to need tweaking. But on the
whole - I appreciate the game and I really like it. It is far more
immersive than ANY IL2 mission / campaign I've ever played.

James

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

Strikes me as one to avoid then given that it needs patches so soon after
arrival and that it is not exactly a new sim but a retread of an oldie.
Same may be said (bu some) of F4 but that never was anywhere near as buggy
as BoB Mk 1. Someone above pointed out that we should not pay to be beta
testers.

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Nats wrote:
>> Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff
>> over the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it
>> was unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and
>> this 'new version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its
>> patched - dont pay developers to beta test for them.
>>
>> Nats
>>

> The patch is out and it fixes my problems. Be aware that the patch .exe
> can also be used "standalone" to disable all unneccessary services on your
> PC in order to let the game run well. It's a must for getting this game
> to run, but I also noticed after disabling all those services that IL2-FB
> loads up in literally 1/4 the time it used to take, my frame rates are
> better and it didn't seem to harm any of my existing apps. TrackIR,
> JoyToKey and my Saitek profiles all running happily along with MultiRes
> and PowerStrip (to give me more than 60Hx refresh rate).
>
> I think the game f*ing RULES. The graphics are more than adequate, the
> SOUNDS are AMAZING (way better than IL2's), and get this - 6DOF support,
> and *hundreds* of planes in the air at once!
>
> Clouds are really nice, and there are no "dot" problems like those that
> existed in IL2 for years.
>
> The included DVD, which is basically like a 60 minute History Channel
> special on the Battle of Britain, really helps to set the stage for the
> historic missions that you can engage in. The map is good to use as a
> reference for idiots like me who knew nothning about this to begin with.
>
> I admit that the performance of the game leaves a bit to be desired. I
> mean, I've got a P4 3.2GHz with HyperThreading and 1GB of RAM, and a
> GT6800 graphics card. yet, I only manage 30 fps in the air, and tehre are
> lots of little micro-pauses. It seems to need tweaking. But on the
> whole - I appreciate the game and I really like it. It is far more
> immersive than ANY IL2 mission / campaign I've ever played.
>
> James

Games are so complicated these days, especially from a hardware point of
view, that I don't think it's possible to not be a beta tester on a game
when it's released. What impresses me is when a game, such as Bob, has a
forum in which the developers reply to users postings and issue patches
within a very short period of time. As they said on their forums, they
tested this game to a great degree and had no problems, but it was
impossible to test on every hardware configuration out there.

Canuck wrote:
> Strikes me as one to avoid then given that it needs patches so soon after
> arrival and that it is not exactly a new sim but a retread of an oldie.
> Same may be said (bu some) of F4 but that never was anywhere near as buggy
> as BoB Mk 1. Someone above pointed out that we should not pay to be beta
> testers.

You are missing out - but you are welcome to avoid it. I think I
accurately listed its strenghts and weaknesses. I am having a good time
with the game, and it's stable. Pray tell, what did you think of CFS3?

James

That's actually pretty cool, James, thanks for pointing that out. Beats
the dog-doo out of doing it by hand or through some manually
configurable enabling utility before every flight sim, as it is
pre-tuned for flight sims, right?

-Seadog

James Calivar wrote:

> Be aware that the patch .exe
> can also be used "standalone" to disable all unneccessary services on
> your PC in order to let the game run well. It's a must for getting this
> game to run, but I also noticed after disabling all those services that
> IL2-FB loads up in literally 1/4 the time it used to take, my frame
> rates are better and it didn't seem to harm any of my existing apps.
> TrackIR, JoyToKey and my Saitek profiles all running happily along with
> MultiRes and PowerStrip (to give me more than 60Hx refresh rate).

canuck

Distinguished
May 27, 2001

> You are missing out - but you are welcome to avoid it. I think I
> accurately listed its strenghts and weaknesses. I am having a good time
> with the game, and it's stable. Pray tell, what did you think of CFS3?
>
> James

CFS3 - it's on my HD but not a lot - no atmosphere therefore I only dip into
it once in a while hoping I find some hidden ingredient, but alas no so I go
back to IL2FB for my WW2 fix, Lomac and F4AF for my fast jet fix, Mig Alley
for a bit of nostalgia, occasionally even dip into F-15 but it dont look so
goos nowadays though gameplay still good. Chopper sims - Enemy engaged is
superb alas I cannot get Longbow 2 to run satisfactorily on my rig despite
following all the tips.
Don't get me wrong here I believe those who say it's fine now but having
been bitten one too many times by s/w companies I have enough to keep me
going for the moment without risking my hard earned cash again on something
that would appear (by some at any rate) to be hit and miss whether it works
fine on any given system. You pays your money and takes your chance. Caveat
emptor I believe is the saying.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff
> over the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it
> was unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and
> this 'new version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its patched -
> dont pay developers to beta test for them.
>
> Nats

Patch is out and the game is much much better. I would have trouble
recomending it to anybody with the original since there isn't much new but
for those who missed out first time IMO its well worth it.

Hehehe.. nah, you are somewhere in between (like me)..

GP

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:25:10 +1200, rob wrote:

>"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff
>> over the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it
>> was unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and
>> this 'new version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its patched -
>> dont pay developers to beta test for them.
>>
>> Nats
>

>Patch is out and the game is much much better. I would have trouble
>recomending it to anybody with the original since there isn't much new but
>for those who missed out first time IMO its well worth it.

I haven't had a chance to trey the patch yet, but the original game
was utterly unplayable (agreed). I'd be lucky to get 10 minutes per
session - and this is after applying goodness knows how many tips,
tweaks etc. gleaned from trawling the BBS's reading the *hundreds* of
bugs postings.

Had it not been given to me, I'd have taken it back to the shop.

It beggars belief that a "commercial" sim could be released in such a
state. It's really quite an insult both to the "few" and the Luftwaffe
on whose bravery the sim is based.

Life is too short for messing around with this sort of cr*p.

Adamski.

Adamski wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:25:10 +1200, rob wrote:
>

>>"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>Im aware of loads of bugs present in the game and very little new stuff
>>>over the original game. My Dad got it and took it back to the shop - it
>>>was unplayable. The original BOB was a dog to get working properly and
>>>this 'new version' doesnt sound any better. Dont buy it till its patched -
>>>dont pay developers to beta test for them.
>>>
>>>Nats
>>

>>Patch is out and the game is much much better. I would have trouble
>>recomending it to anybody with the original since there isn't much new but
>>for those who missed out first time IMO its well worth it.
>

> I haven't had a chance to trey the patch yet, but the original game
> was utterly unplayable (agreed). I'd be lucky to get 10 minutes per
> session - and this is after applying goodness knows how many tips,
> tweaks etc. gleaned from trawling the BBS's reading the *hundreds* of
> bugs postings.
>
> Had it not been given to me, I'd have taken it back to the shop.
>
> It beggars belief that a "commercial" sim could be released in such a
> state. It's really quite an insult both to the "few" and the Luftwaffe
> on whose bravery the sim is based.
>
> Life is too short for messing around with this sort of cr*p.
>
> Adamski.

Apply the patch, let it disable your background apps, and it shuold run.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"Yet this ancient sim brings my system to its knees - even with clouds
turned off."
It's had a major engine upgrade though so I don't think that you can
class it as ancient & the no. of aircraft involved is unmatched.

" No advanced engine management "
Magnetos, fuel cocks, starter buttons, prop pitch - what more do you
want?

"Did anyone say "snap rolls"? Yeah - but on *take-off*??"
These things have massive torque - full rudder on take-off is SOP.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:42:31 -0600, rlsuth wrote:

>Games are so complicated these days, especially from a hardware point of
>view, that I don't think it's possible to not be a beta tester on a game
>when it's released. What impresses me is when a game, such as Bob, has a
>forum in which the developers reply to users postings and issue patches
>within a very short period of time. As they said on their forums, they
>tested this game to a great degree and had no problems, but it was
>impossible to test on every hardware configuration out there.
>

>"Canuck" <anonymous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Strikes me as one to avoid then given that it needs patches so soon after
>> arrival and that it is not exactly a new sim but a retread of an oldie.
>> Same may be said (bu some) of F4 but that never was anywhere near as buggy
>> as BoB Mk 1. Someone above pointed out that we should not pay to be beta
>> testers.

To be fair to BOB ... from what I read on the forums (meaning *was
forced to read*) - many of the bugs were [apparently] down to the copy
protection applied to the non-US release of the sim. So ...it's quite
possible that the sim went gold with only the usual (!!!) bugs, but
then got totally porked by some brain-dead suited
marketing/distribution droid.

So, dear American readers - count yourselves lucky <!!>.

Back to the sim though .. I only have a P4 1.7GHz yet manage to "fly"
F4, IL-2 and [gasp!] LOMAC fairly adequately (I'm easily pleased!).
Yet this ancient sim brings my system to its knees - even with clouds
turned off.

The AI is *appalling*. Flying as a bastardly-Bosch, I've chased whole
squadrons of Hurricanes in an *Me110* and picked them off one by one.
It's pathetic. No real wingman commands to speak of .. except "Tally
Ho!!" etc. Grrrr. No advanced engine management ... I could go on.

Did anyone say "snap rolls"? Yeah - but on *take-off*?? BTW, where is
he-who-shall-remain-nameless???

Adamski.

Maybe I'll feel better after I've installed the patch ... LOL.

Canuck wrote:
>>You are missing out - but you are welcome to avoid it. I think I
>>accurately listed its strenghts and weaknesses. I am having a good time
>>with the game, and it's stable. Pray tell, what did you think of CFS3?
>>
>>James
>

> CFS3 - it's on my HD but not a lot - no atmosphere therefore I only dip into
> it once in a while hoping I find some hidden ingredient, but alas no so I go
> back to IL2FB for my WW2 fix, Lomac and F4AF for my fast jet fix, Mig Alley
> for a bit of nostalgia, occasionally even dip into F-15 but it dont look so
> goos nowadays though gameplay still good. Chopper sims - Enemy engaged is
> superb alas I cannot get Longbow 2 to run satisfactorily on my rig despite
> following all the tips.
> Don't get me wrong here I believe those who say it's fine now but having
> been bitten one too many times by s/w companies I have enough to keep me
> going for the moment without risking my hard earned cash again on something
> that would appear (by some at any rate) to be hit and miss whether it works
> fine on any given system. You pays your money and takes your chance. Caveat
> emptor I believe is the saying.

Caveat Emptor indeed. I understand. The reason I brought up CFS 3 was
that everyone these days has been spewing about how GREAT it is with
Firepower but I STILL cannot get this sim to run. I threw away the CD
long ago.

Seadog wrote:
> That's actually pretty cool, James, thanks for pointing that out. Beats
> the dog-doo out of doing it by hand or through some manually
> configurable enabling utility before every flight sim, as it is
> pre-tuned for flight sims, right?
>
> -Seadog
>
> James Calivar wrote:
>
>> Be aware that the patch .exe can also be used "standalone" to disable
>> all unneccessary services on your PC in order to let the game run
>> well. It's a must for getting this game to run, but I also noticed
>> after disabling all those services that IL2-FB loads up in literally
>> 1/4 the time it used to take, my frame rates are better and it didn't
>> seem to harm any of my existing apps. TrackIR, JoyToKey and my Saitek
>> profiles all running happily along with MultiRes and PowerStrip (to
>> give me more than 60Hx refresh rate).

See this illuninating thread:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=130;t=000390

Cheers

james

Weaver

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:52:30 -0400, G. Patricks
<GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote:

> total buffoons that must smoke pot all day long

Do you know how long it takes to roll a joint when you're stoned out
of your box already and still managing to drive the bus

am

Weaver wrote:

> Do you know how long it takes to roll a joint when you're stoned out
> of your box already and still managing to drive the bus

Actually I do..................

AM

Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

Adamski wrote:
"I've just applied the 2.01
patch, now all aircraft in the distance look like BIPLANES (seriously
... the wings are drawn twice) till you're close enough - then a fully
drawn plane "pops up" out of thin air. I saw better graphics on my
Amiga 15yrs ago."

I don't know what your system is but I don't have that.

" Or have I missed them - in the [cr*p] manual?"
I take it that you have the UK edition? In which case you can register
& they are going to send us all the manual etc. that they got in the
US. Perhaps luckily I have the original manual which I bought s/h.

"OK - so I've never flown a Spitfire - but I have flown single engined
aircraft, plus loads of winch/aerotow glider launches. The rudder
*gradually* becomes more useful/sensitive as the airflow increases.
With BOB, it's nothing ... nothing ... nothing ... then suddenly full
effectiveness."

Well I haven't got the glider hours but I have flown single-engined
too.
Afaik the jump from that to a 1000Hp beast (loads more
torque/propwash)with a very narrow track is rather large.

"I've played just about every sim that's been released - this has to be
one of the worst ... honestly."

I'm going to take it that you are an Il2 fan?
Nothing against that as I have bought them all religiously but I just
can't get into them at all.
On the other hand there is something about BoB (& Mig Alley) that I
warm too.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

James Calivar <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> I admit that the performance of the game leaves a bit to be desired. I
> mean, I've got a P4 3.2GHz with HyperThreading and 1GB of RAM, and a
> GT6800 graphics card. yet, I only manage 30 fps in the air, and tehre
> are lots of little micro-pauses.

This has been my biggest gripe with flight
sims lately. They all seem to require hardware
that hasn't even been invented yet, much less
sitting on most people's desktops.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Mitchell Holman <ta2eeneNoEmail@comcast.com> wrote in

> This has been my biggest gripe with flight
> sims lately. They all seem to require hardware
> that hasn't even been invented yet, much less
> sitting on most people's desktops.

"flight sims lately" and hardware requirements???????

You aint been doing this long, have you???

Chuck
--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

On 27 Sep 2005 21:03:24 -0700, BUFF wrote:

>"Yet this ancient sim brings my system to its knees - even with clouds
>turned off."
>It's had a major engine upgrade though so I don't think that you can
>class it as ancient & the no. of aircraft involved is unmatched.

It *looks* ancient. The scenery is chronic. I've just applied the 2.01
patch, now all aircraft in the distance look like BIPLANES (seriously
.... the wings are drawn twice) till you're close enough - then a fully
drawn plane "pops up" out of thin air. I saw better graphics on my
Amiga 15yrs ago.

>" No advanced engine management "
>Magnetos, fuel cocks, starter buttons, prop pitch - what more do you
>want?

Mixture? Radiators? Or have I missed them - in the [cr*p] manual?

>"Did anyone say "snap rolls"? Yeah - but on *take-off*??"
>These things have massive torque - full rudder on take-off is SOP.

OK - so I've never flown a Spitfire - but I have flown single engined
aircraft, plus loads of winch/aerotow glider launches. The rudder
*gradually* becomes more useful/sensitive as the airflow increases.
With BOB, it's nothing ... nothing ... nothing ... then suddenly full
effectiveness.

I'm no noob - I don't just jam the throttle full forward and go - I
build up speed gradually - then *suddenly* the aircraft starts
flopping around. Show it to any real WWII veteran and he'd laugh his
medals off.

I've played just about every sim that's been released - this has to be
one of the worst ... honestly.

Adamski.

Whew...

I was pretty anxious about this one and Im sure glad I waited.

Mitch