Sign in with
Your question

Repeater connection drops out

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 19, 2012 6:57:47 AM

Hi!

First of all, I'm amateur in networking, a computer guy though (GIS). I've got problem with my bridged internet connection. I'll describe thorougly and hope for good advice, everybody has dissapointed me in the regional town of Greece where I live...

I've got a 4Mbps ADSL connection at my parents house, with a router (everything is also shown at the picture attached) that is set in AP mode. I've also installed a hand made parabolic antenna with aluminum foil. (hum.. my parents are wired anyway, I use the wireless only).

I live in a house nearby, 60m distance, where at the window that has optical contact (though my parent's house is ca 5m higher) I've installed a NETIS WF-2409 router.

For some time now, set as a repeater and the channels I don't remember, it has worked fine, just variating the bandwidth. The original % of reception from the ISP router was ca 35%.
Some days now it drops out the signal or just lowers it so much (like 2Kbyte per sec download) and I've gone mad...

I did the following:
clipped the cypress in front of the window of the NETIS
received 65-75% reception from the ISP router
played various modes like Client or Repeater
played with various channels (except putting the same channel in both routers, a certified problem that I read of and experienced myself..)
even played with the DCHP lease time.
Mainly left the ISP router in channel 7 or 11

Returned everything in factory defaults and then set the NETIS as follows (with slight variations each time)

Client / Repeater
Channel 8 / 5 / 7 / 11
WPS disabled
DHCP always disabled

The neighborhood is full of wireless networks, I'm attaching a inSSIDer screenshot. The problem seems to be the same, I get even 3,4Mbps download with speedtest.net, I get a very fine 300KBps download from fileservers and some minutes later it drops down to 2-7KBps. Some minutes later it goes up again and the same follows.

What to do??? I don't know really very much, I have been reading articles some time now but the volume is so much that I grow hopeless after 5min...
If somebody can show me in a linear manner what to do and what to pay attention to or even a direct solution why is this happening, I would be thrilled..

Here are the pictures mentioned
https://hotfile.com/dl/176641605/d009723/Desktop.rar.ht...
October 19, 2012 10:50:03 AM

First be sure it is not your ISP. If you can test between your locations with a tool like IPERF (old line mode speed test tool), you will need a pc at both locations.

The next test is to run both units in bridge mode with your PC directly plugged into what you now use a repeater. This eliminates some of the issue you can have with a repeater and a AP.

It is surprising you get it to work this well with hacked antenna. Real direction antenna are not real expensive anymore so you could try that also .

I would suspect it is interference from one of the neighboring wireless networks. Commercial direction antenna have a narrower beam which resists signal from other sources better.
October 19, 2012 12:24:47 PM

OK, thanks.

My ISP's router has a fixed antenna so its not easy to install a directional one. Nor can I install a new computer there..

Maybe I was not so clear from starters, the aluminum-hand-made-thingy didn't actually alter anything.. it was ca 300KB/sec download from the start..

How do I run this bridge test? My notebook is -yes- connected to the one that is used as a repeater. The ISP's router doesn't have any repeater / bridge mode..

Any other advice on how to avoid interference with other networks?
Related resources
October 19, 2012 9:09:30 PM

I misunderstood I thought the router was a separate AP you had behind the router.

You could ask your parents to load IPERF and start it in server mode. It will just sit and run and not cause any problems.

If you physically connect to the repeater it is in effect a bridge it is only a repeater if you connect via wireless.

Interference is the main issue with almost every wireless question on this forum. All you can do is try to pick a clear channel but routers will also change channels if they detect interference so they may move into your channel.

The reason direction antenna work well over long distance is they concentrate the signal into a narrow beam. It is very hard for someone to get into the beam. It depends how much money you want to spend.

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/AG-2G16-HP/AirGrid-M2-...

Something like this works pretty well this is a outdoor bridge and antenna all in one. This site has lots of things.
October 22, 2012 7:06:44 AM

Thanks!!

Well just some last questions. I get it, its mostly interference so I will see what I can do.

Does it have to do with the channel that both the ISP router and the repeater / client router send and receive? So I can "play" with both's channels.

Finally, does the directional antenna need a computer to be installed or does it work pretty much like the router in repeater / client mode?

Thanks again John
!