Buffer Protection

glr2472

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I have an Artec 20x10x40x CD-RW drive and it comes with buffer underrun protection and I'm glad for that, otherwise I would have a lot of ruined CD's.

I noticed that when I am burning a data CD the buffer goes to well below 10% when I use the 16x or 20x burning speed.
I don't understand why this happens if the data is being read from my harddrive. It only goes downt to 98% when burning at a speed of 12x or less.

I got two new 40GB ATA133 72000rpm HD so the data would transfer faster but it's still the same problem.

I have an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an Athlon 1600+ XP and 388 MB RAM.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to remedy the problem. Maybe I need to enable, disable something in the motherboard. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Arg. Double post :frown:

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Have you verified that DMA is enabled for your harddrives and burner? Further, for optimum performance the CD burner should not be placed on the same IDE cable as the harddrive.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. Check to see if UDMA is enabled for the Ide channels in the system -> hardware page.

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
No mention if you found a solution. But SiS based mobos need to have the SISIDE.exe utility run or drives won't be recognized/set to UDMA. It may be on your mobo's CD or look in the ECS forum on www.ocworkbench.com and read the K7S5A FAQ to find it. That's the best info around for your mobo.
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
We usually dont get any thanks or conformation.
But we are:
A. Are expected to promptly respond.
B. Ansser innane questions over and over that are covered in the FAQ
C. Be Telepathic when the bare minimum (or less) of information is supplied.
and
D. Allways be right and precise with the solution, especially when no information is given.

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>