Motorola V180 voice name limit

Hi,
I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to
the phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google
for about an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as
there is no physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping
the right soft key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure
this one out. Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable
to store voice name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more
than 1200KB left, so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular
have put a lock on the phone so that they would force you to use their
monthly voice dial service? That wouldn't be very nice...
Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
Thanks!

Jordan
6 answers Last reply
More about motorola v180 voice limit

    It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
    slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola

    "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
    > the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to the
    > phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for about
    > an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there is no
    > physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the right soft
    > key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure this one out.
    > Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable to store voice
    > name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more than 1200KB left,
    > so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular have put a lock on the
    > phone so that they would force you to use their monthly voice dial
    > service? That wouldn't be very nice...
    > Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jordan

    Ridiculous,

    My old Timeport (t270?) would only allow six voice entries and I just
    thought it had no memory. Must be a Motorola "Feature".

    Any idea if the V710 has this voice dialing "feature" also?

    Kirk

    TigerTiger wrote:
    > It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
    > slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola
    >
    > "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
    >>the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to the
    >>phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for about
    >>an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there is no
    >>physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the right soft
    >>key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure this one out.
    >>Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable to store voice
    >>name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more than 1200KB left,
    >>so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular have put a lock on the
    >>phone so that they would force you to use their monthly voice dial
    >>service? That wouldn't be very nice...
    >>Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Jordan

    Thanks. Well, is there any particular reason why they would limit the
    voice tags to 6? I can't think of anything.. Also, do you think it's
    possible to find some kind of workaround to this? I would really like to
    use the phone's voice dial, but six entries just won't cut it.
    Jordan

    not sure about the v710 but the v300/400/600 can have 20 voice entries.

    "kirk_" <kirk@1st.net> wrote in message
    > Ridiculous,
    >
    > My old Timeport (t270?) would only allow six voice entries and I just
    > thought it had no memory. Must be a Motorola "Feature".
    >
    > Any idea if the V710 has this voice dialing "feature" also?
    >
    > Kirk
    >

    > "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
    >> slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola
    >>
    >> "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
    >>> the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to
    >>> the phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for
    >>> about an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there
    >>> is no physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the
    >>> right soft key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure
    >>> this one out. Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable
    >>> to store voice name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more
    >>> than 1200KB left, so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular
    >>> have put a lock on the phone so that they would force you to use their
    >>> monthly voice dial service? That wouldn't be very nice...
    >>> Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Jordan

    Jordan,
    Can you tell me how you mapped the soft key to voice dial? I'm trying
    to do exactly what you did and am frustrated at not finding any
    directions....
    thx,
    Dixie

    altomuse wrote:
    > Jordan,
    > Can you tell me how you mapped the soft key to voice dial? I'm trying
    > to do exactly what you did and am frustrated at not finding any
    > directions....
    > thx,
    > Dixie

    I Googled for a bit and found a Mobiledia thread on the topic:
    http://www.mobiledia.com/forum/topic18612-0-asc-0.html

    Copied from Page 2:
    Actually, you can do a little better than that even. Go into Settings
    and then Personalize. Choose Home Screen and then Home Keys. On my
    phone, I assigned Voice Dial to the Right Soft Key. Now all I have to do
    is open the phone and hit one key and say the name to dial. --BarracudaBob

    Hope that helps!
    Jordan

Motorola Phones