Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motorola V180 voice name limit

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:17:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Hi,
I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to
the phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google
for about an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as
there is no physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping
the right soft key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure
this one out. Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable
to store voice name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more
than 1200KB left, so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular
have put a lock on the phone so that they would force you to use their
monthly voice dial service? That wouldn't be very nice...
Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
Thanks!

Jordan
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:52:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola

"Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:M4OdnScGH4f6tnHcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> Hi,
> I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
> the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to the
> phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for about
> an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there is no
> physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the right soft
> key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure this one out.
> Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable to store voice
> name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more than 1200KB left,
> so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular have put a lock on the
> phone so that they would force you to use their monthly voice dial
> service? That wouldn't be very nice...
> Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
> Thanks!
>
> Jordan
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:52:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Ridiculous,

My old Timeport (t270?) would only allow six voice entries and I just
thought it had no memory. Must be a Motorola "Feature".

Any idea if the V710 has this voice dialing "feature" also?

Kirk


"TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:isWGd.1813$Rs.496@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
> slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola
>
> "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:M4OdnScGH4f6tnHcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
>> Hi,
>> I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
>> the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to
>> the phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for
>> about an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there
>> is no physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the
>> right soft key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure this
>> one out. Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable to
>> store voice name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more than
>> 1200KB left, so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular have put
>> a lock on the phone so that they would force you to use their monthly
>> voice dial service? That wouldn't be very nice...
>> Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jordan
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 2:28:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

TigerTiger wrote:
> It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
> slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola
>
> "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:M4OdnScGH4f6tnHcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
>>the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to the
>>phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for about
>>an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there is no
>>physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the right soft
>>key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure this one out.
>>Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable to store voice
>>name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more than 1200KB left,
>>so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular have put a lock on the
>>phone so that they would force you to use their monthly voice dial
>>service? That wouldn't be very nice...
>>Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Jordan
>
>
>
Thanks. Well, is there any particular reason why they would limit the
voice tags to 6? I can't think of anything.. Also, do you think it's
possible to find some kind of workaround to this? I would really like to
use the phone's voice dial, but six entries just won't cut it.
Jordan
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:05:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

not sure about the v710 but the v300/400/600 can have 20 voice entries.

"kirk_" <kirk@1st.net> wrote in message
news:10uoiresi457h9c@corp.supernews.com...
> Ridiculous,
>
> My old Timeport (t270?) would only allow six voice entries and I just
> thought it had no memory. Must be a Motorola "Feature".
>
> Any idea if the V710 has this voice dialing "feature" also?
>
> Kirk
>
>
> "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:isWGd.1813$Rs.496@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> It's not a bug or a Cingular "feature" The phone offically has that many
>> slots for voice dialing and was intentionally set that way by motorola
>>
>> "Oofnik" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> news:M4OdnScGH4f6tnHcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a Moto V180 phone on Cingular, and I'm adding voice names to all
>>> the contacts in the phone book. First I had to transfer all entries to
>>> the phone instead of SIM, which was no fun. And then I had to Google for
>>> about an hour to figure out how to actually use voice dialing, as there
>>> is no physical voice dial button on the phone! I ended up mapping the
>>> right soft key to voice dial, which works great. Now, I can't figure
>>> this one out. Once I add six voice names, it starts telling me "Unable
>>> to store voice name". Why not?? I checked the memory, and there is more
>>> than 1200KB left, so that is definitely not an issue. Could Cingular
>>> have put a lock on the phone so that they would force you to use their
>>> monthly voice dial service? That wouldn't be very nice...
>>> Or maybe it's just another stupid Motorola bug. Anyone have some ideas?
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jordan
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:46:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Jordan,
Can you tell me how you mapped the soft key to voice dial? I'm trying
to do exactly what you did and am frustrated at not finding any
directions....
thx,
Dixie
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

altomuse wrote:
> Jordan,
> Can you tell me how you mapped the soft key to voice dial? I'm trying
> to do exactly what you did and am frustrated at not finding any
> directions....
> thx,
> Dixie
>
I Googled for a bit and found a Mobiledia thread on the topic:
http://www.mobiledia.com/forum/topic18612-0-asc-0.html

Copied from Page 2:
Actually, you can do a little better than that even. Go into Settings
and then Personalize. Choose Home Screen and then Home Keys. On my
phone, I assigned Voice Dial to the Right Soft Key. Now all I have to do
is open the phone and hit one key and say the name to dial. --BarracudaBob

Hope that helps!
Jordan
!