Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Constantly Dropping..Please Assist

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 20, 2012 5:47:25 AM

So this has been happening for a few months now. I have a Netgear WNDR-3800 Router that I use to access Wi-fi in my house (provided by Comcast). My Computer and a few mobile devices are connected wirelessly, while the main family PC is connected via ethernet cable from the router.

The family PC never loses connectivity, My computer drops internet CONSTANTLY, atleast a few times per hour. I'll still have 4 or 5 bars on wi-fi with the yellow exclamation mark. When I run the diagnostic tool it says:
"The default gateway is not available" . Sometimes the diagnostic will fix the problem, other times it will not. The only way I can seem to fix it is to go and turn the router off and on again.

Most of the time when my PC is down, the mobile devices in the house will still have connectivity to the wi-fi, BUT on other rarer occasions all wireless devices will lose wi-fi.

My wireless adapter in my PC is a Rosewill RNX-N150PC Wireless LAN Card, and I'm running a clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium OS, if this helps in any way.

I also apologize if this answer has been posted, I have spent quite some time googling and searching forums, but can never seem to find an answer relevant to my situation. But I would greatly appreciate the help, the constant downtime from the internet is frustrating. =/
October 21, 2012 4:15:27 AM

Bumping..can someone please help?
November 2, 2012 2:42:39 PM

I'd say it sounds like your router. I had a similar problem with 4 laptops in my 3-story house. 2 would stay connected all the time doing internet stuff 24/7. the other 2 were only online sometimes and would constantly drop off from a -30dbm signal and -90dbm noise. one of them was a newer laptop where I did online gaming, and it was really frustrating to drop off in the middle of a game 5 or 6 times an hour. this setup was using an old Linksys WRT55G with DD-WRT on it. I also have to deal with about 40 other wireless networks all on similar channels because none of my neighbors know anything about interference.

anyway, i replaced the router with a different one (something cheap from belkin with N) and turned up the broadcast power to max. since then, all of them stay connected and i dont get any random drop offs.
November 2, 2012 2:45:59 PM

Well, I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have 3 possibilities: your router, your wireless card, or interference.

I had a similar problem with 4 laptops in my 3-story house. 2 would stay connected all the time doing internet stuff 24/7 (mythtv hosting). the other 2 were only online sometimes and would constantly drop off from a -30dbm signal and -90dbm noise. one of them was a newer laptop where I did online gaming, and it was really frustrating to drop off in the middle of a game 5 or 6 times an hour. this setup was using a 5-year-old Linksys WRT55G with DD-WRT on it. I also have to deal with about 40 other wireless networks all on similar channels because none of my neighbors know anything about interference.

anyway, i replaced the router with a different one (something cheap from belkin with N) and turned up the broadcast power to max. since then, all of them stay connected and i dont get any random drop offs. if you have a spare router or wireless card, try those. if not, try using a wireless scanner to see if you have interference problems.
!