Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will an Mbox and PTLE6 work an iMac G3

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 5, 2004 10:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have run this question on the DUC forum as well as various home studio
news groups, but received no answers, so here's hoping someone here has
soem ideas.

I currently run PT Free on my ancient 500Mhz G3 iMac (640 RAM) by
booting into OS9.

BUT,

Money is burning a hole in the pocket and I was thinking of buying an
Mbox. I know it is not supported by Digi, but I was wondering if PTLE 6
on OSX with an Mbox will actually work on this machine. (eMac's are not
supported, yet they run fine according to various posts on DUC)

I searched on the DUC for similar questions, but couldn't find any
relevant threads - there was some discussion about PTLE 6 needing a
specific type of video card to work. My iMac has the AGP 8 MB card.
Interestingly, the iBook G3 is supported, but not the iMac??? Is this a
pure speed issue - 500 Mhz to 600 Mhz makes all the difference?

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll eventually get a new Mac of some sort,
but it would be nice if I could get the Mbox early and upgrade from PT
free.

Thanks for any help anyone can give

--
Charlie
--
my music is at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html

More about : mbox ptle6 work imac

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 06:12:47 -0500, Charlie wrote
(in article <puffinnospam-FE357B.19124605112004@freenews.iinet.net.au>):

> I have run this question on the DUC forum as well as various home studio
> news groups, but received no answers, so here's hoping someone here has
> soem ideas.
>
> I currently run PT Free on my ancient 500Mhz G3 iMac (640 RAM) by
> booting into OS9.
>
> BUT,
>
> Money is burning a hole in the pocket and I was thinking of buying an
> Mbox. I know it is not supported by Digi, but I was wondering if PTLE 6
> on OSX with an Mbox will actually work on this machine. (eMac's are not
> supported, yet they run fine according to various posts on DUC)
>
> I searched on the DUC for similar questions, but couldn't find any
> relevant threads - there was some discussion about PTLE 6 needing a
> specific type of video card to work. My iMac has the AGP 8 MB card.
> Interestingly, the iBook G3 is supported, but not the iMac??? Is this a
> pure speed issue - 500 Mhz to 600 Mhz makes all the difference?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I'll eventually get a new Mac of some sort,
> but it would be nice if I could get the Mbox early and upgrade from PT
> free.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can give
>
>

Try calling the digi phone number and talking to a sales/support person to
determine whether what you have will work.

Regards,

Ty Ford


-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Charlie wrote:

> I currently run PT Free on my ancient 500Mhz G3 iMac (640 RAM) by
> booting into OS9.

> BUT,

> Money is burning a hole in the pocket and I was thinking of buying an
> Mbox. I know it is not supported by Digi, but I was wondering if PTLE 6
> on OSX with an Mbox will actually work on this machine. (eMac's are not
> supported, yet they run fine according to various posts on DUC)


http://groups.yahoo.com/group/daw-mac/

is a list where you can get the skinny on your quest. I think you'd need
to buy a used M-Box from the era when PT had OS9 support. I think it now
needs OSX, and you won't change that just by booting into 9.

I could be wrong.

--
ha
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:56:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

One of our systems is PTLE 6.1 w/ MBox/DV Toolkit on an IMac G3 600MHz
w/ 512 MB of RAM, OS 10.2.8 and an external FW drive. It works
reasonably well, with occasional PB buffer issues. This was a
supported config for MBox when the software involved was current. We
have not upgraded either OS or PT since Digi doesn't support further
versions on this system. I would suggest using a similar config on
your IMac. If you really need later OS or PT versions then I would
definitely get a newer computer than a G3.

Philip Perkins
November 6, 2004 10:22:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1qOdnTd54cNMBRbcRVn-hg@comcast.com>,
Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote:

>
> Try calling the digi phone number and talking to a sales/support person to
> determine whether what you have will work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty Ford
>
>
> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com



I should have mentioned, I phoned the local distibutor (I'm in
Australia) - they couldn't give me a definite answer (the expected, "We
think it will work because the iBook works, but it is unsupported. No
refunds etc if it doesn't"

I may have to get on to the US people at digi. Thanks for the reply

--
Charlie
--
my music is at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
November 6, 2004 10:26:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <1gmrvbo.1l7dxn51szs0t5N%walkinay@thegrid.net>,
walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote:


> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/daw-mac/
>
> is a list where you can get the skinny on your quest. I think you'd need
> to buy a used M-Box from the era when PT had OS9 support. I think it now
> needs OSX, and you won't change that just by booting into 9.
>
> I could be wrong.
>
> --
> ha

Thanks Hank,

I'll head over to Yahoo! and see what they think. I am actually running
OS X, but just re-boot to get to PT Free ( another reason I would like
the Mbox)

--
Charlie
--
my music is at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
November 6, 2004 10:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <3677d4b3.0411052156.a2e22d@posting.google.com>,
spamiser@yahoo.com (Philip Perkins) wrote:

> One of our systems is PTLE 6.1 w/ MBox/DV Toolkit on an IMac G3 600MHz
> w/ 512 MB of RAM, OS 10.2.8 and an external FW drive. It works
> reasonably well, with occasional PB buffer issues. This was a
> supported config for MBox when the software involved was current. We
> have not upgraded either OS or PT since Digi doesn't support further
> versions on this system. I would suggest using a similar config on
> your IMac. If you really need later OS or PT versions then I would
> definitely get a newer computer than a G3.
>
> Philip Perkins


Philip,

Thanks for that. Looks like it may work. The new PT is at 6.7, but
hopefully a point upgrade may not be the thing that breaks it. If I
need to downgrade the OS to Jaguar, so be it, I still have the 10.2
discs.


I was always ready to have a limted functionality and the odd buffer
problem.

Cheers

--
Charlie
--
my music is at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:00:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Not exactly what you want to do but I have an Imac G3 400 running OS 9.2.2 and
an Mbox PT 5.2.1 and it works well enough for my needs.

If you don't need 32 tracks (5.2 is capped at 24) check with digi and see if
they will include 5.2 and you would have enough juice for a modest 24 track
session in terms of plug ins.

I personally don't believe that upgrading a G3 400 to OSX is worth the extra
tax on the system. A 500 may be enough.


---------------------------------------
"I know enough to know I don't know enough"
November 7, 2004 12:14:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <20041106134454.08392.00000203@mb-m04.aol.com>,
egghd@aol.com (EggHd) wrote:

> Not exactly what you want to do but I have an Imac G3 400 running OS 9.2.2 and
> an Mbox PT 5.2.1 and it works well enough for my needs.
>
> If you don't need 32 tracks (5.2 is capped at 24) check with digi and see if
> they will include 5.2 and you would have enough juice for a modest 24 track
> session in terms of plug ins.
>
> I personally don't believe that upgrading a G3 400 to OSX is worth the extra
> tax on the system. A 500 may be enough.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------
> "I know enough to know I don't know enough"


Thanks for that. It may be a solution.

cheers

--
Charlie
--
my music is at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~puffin/mp3.html
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:33:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <puffinnospam-DDCDED.09145607112004@freenews.iinet.net.au>,
Charlie <puffinnospam@iinet.net.au> wrote:

!In article <20041106134454.08392.00000203@mb-m04.aol.com>,
! egghd@aol.com (EggHd) wrote:
!
!> Not exactly what you want to do but I have an Imac G3 400 running OS 9.2.2
!> and
!> an Mbox PT 5.2.1 and it works well enough for my needs.
!>
!> If you don't need 32 tracks (5.2 is capped at 24) check with digi and see if
!> they will include 5.2 and you would have enough juice for a modest 24 track
!> session in terms of plug ins.
!>
!> I personally don't believe that upgrading a G3 400 to OSX is worth the extra
!> tax on the system. A 500 may be enough.
!>
!>
!> ---------------------------------------
!> "I know enough to know I don't know enough"
!
!
!Thanks for that. It may be a solution.

A Pismo (G3) can be upgraded to a G4 500 - whether you want to pay for
the third party upgrade, and whether you could run PT6.7 depends on
digi's minimum requirements, which it will not. the "slowest" G4 is an
800 mghz, like my iBook G4, 12" for example has not been tested to see
if it will run. Mine is running 6.4 with an Mbox, and a EZQuest 7200
external HD


!
!cheers

--
KelL
AFTRA
"Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses."
--Sir Arthur C. Clarke
!