Using 2 MN-500 with XBOX

Can anyone tell me if this would be possible?

I'd like to use 2 MS MN-500 wireless G routers to connect my XBOX to
the internet. What I had in mind was to have my cable modem connected
to the first MN-500 and hardwired to the computer. I would then like
to use a 2nd MN-500 to serve as a wireless access point connected via
ethernet to the XBOX. Is this possible? The only reason I want to
use 2 MN-500's as opposed to just one and a separate MN-740 is cost -
I can buy a MN-500 for way less than a MN-740. Also is a 802.11b
network OK for wireless XBOX or should I really be using a MN-700 to
the MN-740 for XBOX.

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about using xbox

    Your second MN-500 needs to be wired to the main one, it won't operate
    separately. Secondly, the MN-500 series is 802.11b, not g. I ran my Xbox
    wired to an MN-500 for about a year, before switching over to the MN-740
    with an MN-700 base station.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "SMB" <boy@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me if this would be possible?
    >
    > I'd like to use 2 MS MN-500 wireless G routers to connect my XBOX to
    > the internet. What I had in mind was to have my cable modem connected
    > to the first MN-500 and hardwired to the computer. I would then like
    > to use a 2nd MN-500 to serve as a wireless access point connected via
    > ethernet to the XBOX. Is this possible? The only reason I want to
    > use 2 MN-500's as opposed to just one and a separate MN-740 is cost -
    > I can buy a MN-500 for way less than a MN-740. Also is a 802.11b
    > network OK for wireless XBOX or should I really be using a MN-700 to
    > the MN-740 for XBOX.
    >
    > TIA

    It won't work, since the two MN500 won't communicate
    wirelessly as Chris explained. You would be better run
    the cable directly to the XBox than into the second MN500.

    You may want to look at the generic wireless adapter that
    is sold for the Sony PS2, since it is slightly cheaper
    (it is not built by Sony -- and requires a PC for
    configuration). It will be easier to install an MN740,
    though.

    The MN-740 is easy to install. You just need to connect the wireless
    adapter and then put the CD in the Xbox, configuring through the Dashboard:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/wireless_connect.htm
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    > It won't work, since the two MN500 won't communicate
    > wirelessly as Chris explained. You would be better run
    > the cable directly to the XBox than into the second MN500.
    >
    > You may want to look at the generic wireless adapter that
    > is sold for the Sony PS2, since it is slightly cheaper
    > (it is not built by Sony -- and requires a PC for
    > configuration). It will be easier to install an MN740,
    > though.

Routers Xbox Networking