Setting up Wireless when my apartment already comes with internet

mdotdiddy

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hello!

I currently live in an apartment that provides internet (DSL). I was connecting to the internet by plugging an ethernet cable from the wall into my computer. I decided I need to be wireless and got a router. I plugged an ethernet cable from the wall into the router and have been able to connect to the internet wirelessly. However, I seem to go in and out of connection A LOT! I don't know if its the internet its self or not. I don't recall ever really having connection issues when I was plugged in directly. Should I have my router set up a certain way because I'm going through my apartment complex that probably has a router already in place for the building? Does it need to be set up as an access point? If so how would I go about doing so. I am pretty good with computers but I REALLY just suck at networking stuff. lol I did notice that when I was plugged in directly to the wall my IP address would be 10.x.x.x instead of the usual 192.168.1.x like I am used to. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
First thing is to plug into your router just like you used to plug into the wall using ethernet cables. If this is unstable then I would be looking for a problem with your router. If it is stable then you likely have the common wireless problem you see posted all over this forum....my connection drops all the time....

You could try running as a AP so you can use the 10.x.x.x addresses but how many addresses will they let you have. If it is only 1 then you MUST use the router if you have more than 1 machine. Running in router mode rather than AP mode in this case most likely does not hurt you. It is unlikely your problem unless there is a firmware issue.

Now if you have a wireless issue the solutions are the standard try other channels, force the router to only run N mode (assuming you N..otherwise force it whatever you have), try relocating the router a small amount. You never know with wireless it could be anything from the equipment having firmware issues to a baby monitor jamming all the frequencies.