V551 Bluetooth - Need Some Help

I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
connection..

I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.

Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
get a message that it is not available with my phone.

When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
far as I can get. Any help?
8 answers Last reply
More about v551 bluetooth help

    Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
    issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
    you.

    From:Dick
    LeadWinger

    > I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
    > to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
    > connection..
    >
    > I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
    > is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
    > install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
    > It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
    >
    > Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
    > Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
    > shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
    > indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
    > of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
    > get a message that it is not available with my phone.
    >
    > When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
    > gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
    > the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
    > an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
    > far as I can get. Any help?

    That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
    see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
    Thanks.

    Dick

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
    >issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
    >you.
    >
    >From:Dick
    >LeadWinger
    >
    >> I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
    >> to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
    >> connection..
    >>
    >> I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
    >> is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
    >> install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
    >> It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
    >>
    >> Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
    >> Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
    >> shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
    >> indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
    >> of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
    >> get a message that it is not available with my phone.
    >>
    >> When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
    >> gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
    >> the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
    >> an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
    >> far as I can get. Any help?

    OK. I have followed your advice to the letter, but I still get the
    Com Port error in MPT after the phone and pc mate.

    Dick

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

    >That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
    >see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Dick
    >
    >On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
    >>issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
    >>you.
    >>
    >>From:Dick
    >>LeadWinger
    >>
    >>> I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
    >>> to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
    >>> connection..
    >>>
    >>> I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
    >>> is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
    >>> install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
    >>> It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
    >>>
    >>> Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
    >>> Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
    >>> shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
    >>> indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
    >>> of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
    >>> get a message that it is not available with my phone.
    >>>
    >>> When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
    >>> gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
    >>> the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
    >>> an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
    >>> far as I can get. Any help?

    Did you get the services to show up in My BT Places? As for the error
    that you're getting I'm afraid I can't be of much help because MPT still
    works fine for me. I can go between MPT and My BT Places with no
    problem. One thought comes to mind: Did you simply select the CSR
    driver in the procedure I outlined or did you do as the MS document
    suggested and rename the MS driver? If you did rename it try changing
    it back. I noticed when I ran MPT after using My BT Places that a box
    popped up saying that Windows was installing my device. That might mean
    that the original MS driver had to be used for the MPT application. I
    just don't know if that's what happened or not. In Device Mgr I still
    see the CSR driver and under COM ports I see that Bluetooth is using COM
    Port 19.

    From:Dick
    LeadWinger

    > OK. I have followed your advice to the letter, but I still get the
    > Com Port error in MPT after the phone and pc mate.
    >
    > Dick
    >
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >
    >> That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
    >> see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Dick
    >>
    >> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered
    >>> the issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can
    >>> email it to you.
    >>>
    >>> From:Dick
    >>> LeadWinger

    Yes, I have both push and file transfer services showing in BT places.
    I do not see anywhere in Device Mgr that Bluetooth is using any com
    port. Maybe that's part of the problem.

    When I followed the Microsoft KB, I had to use both methods. Windows
    wouldn't let me select the 3rd party driver without renaming the
    bth.inf file first. I'll do as you suggest and rename the file back
    as it was.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:59:39 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
    wrote:

    >Did you get the services to show up in My BT Places? As for the error
    >that you're getting I'm afraid I can't be of much help because MPT still
    >works fine for me. I can go between MPT and My BT Places with no
    >problem. One thought comes to mind: Did you simply select the CSR
    >driver in the procedure I outlined or did you do as the MS document
    >suggested and rename the MS driver? If you did rename it try changing
    >it back. I noticed when I ran MPT after using My BT Places that a box
    >popped up saying that Windows was installing my device. That might mean
    >that the original MS driver had to be used for the MPT application. I
    >just don't know if that's what happened or not. In Device Mgr I still
    >see the CSR driver and under COM ports I see that Bluetooth is using COM
    >Port 19.

    Hi Dick,
    I just bought a Motorola A630 and the Mobile Phone Tools software. I'm
    having the EXACT problem as you did. Have you figured it out?
    Thanks!

    --
    a630user

    Howdy!

    V551 here...exact same problems, successes, questions. Any solutions
    you can share would be wonderful. I'll do the same. I'm also seeing
    other connection types failing. My headset connected, but after
    entering the PIN it told me "Unable to create headset connection
    for..."

    Thanks!

    Bernie

    --
    Trisklbr

    OK!

    I got mine working!

    I didn't document the process extremely well, but here goes:

    1. Get everything set up as we already had.
    2. Delete any existing modems to clear the connections (you can add
    them back later)
    3. Through windows dialup (Control Panel, Phones and Modems), add a
    modem.
    a. Don't autodetect.
    b. Select 'Bluetooth Modem' as type. (You'll see some activity as
    windows
    sets up the necessary com port and such)
    4. In Phonetools, under the menu choose Setup > General Setup >
    Communication > Change Modem
    5. Select the new Bluetooth Modem
    6. Identify phone model (you'll see some AT code testing)
    7. Click [OK] as needed and then watch the Phonetools populate with
    connection data.
    8. Use as normal.

    I may not have hit every step (I'm loath to delete mine just to
    recreate the steps...maybe later when I've had coffee...), so if at
    first it doesn't work, tinker with it and post any refinements. E-mail
    me if it just doesn't work or my instructions are unclear.

    Yours,

    Bernie

    --
    Trisklbr