V551 Bluetooth - Need Some Help

Last response: in Brands
Share
January 18, 2005 2:24:57 PM

I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
connection..

I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.

Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
get a message that it is not available with my phone.

When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
far as I can get. Any help?

More about : v551 bluetooth

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:36:34 PM

Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
you.

From:D ick
LeadWinger

> I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
> to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
> connection..
>
> I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
> is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
> install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
> It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
>
> Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
> Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
> shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
> indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
> of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
> get a message that it is not available with my phone.
>
> When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
> gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
> the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
> an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
> far as I can get. Any help?
January 18, 2005 9:36:35 PM

That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
Thanks.

Dick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
>issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
>you.
>
>From:D ick
>LeadWinger
>
>> I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
>> to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
>> connection..
>>
>> I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
>> is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
>> install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
>> It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
>>
>> Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
>> Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
>> shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
>> indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
>> of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
>> get a message that it is not available with my phone.
>>
>> When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
>> gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
>> the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
>> an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
>> far as I can get. Any help?

Related resources
January 18, 2005 9:36:36 PM

OK. I have followed your advice to the letter, but I still get the
Com Port error in MPT after the phone and pc mate.

Dick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
>see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
>Thanks.
>
>Dick
>
>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered the
>>issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can email it to
>>you.
>>
>>From:D ick
>>LeadWinger
>>
>>> I have been unsuccessful so far in trying to connect my Motorola V551
>>> to MPT using Bluetooth. I have no problem using MPT with a USB wired
>>> connection..
>>>
>>> I am running XP Pro SP2. MPT is version 3.19e1. The Bluetooth dongle
>>> is a Belkin F8T003 V2. I have followed the instructions in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840635 to
>>> install the latest Belkin driver instead of the Microsoft XP driver.
>>> It is WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8.
>>>
>>> Everything seems fine to a point. The dongle shows up in Device
>>> Manager, and indicates it is working properly. My Bluetooth Places
>>> shows on the Desktop. It can see the Motorola phone. The first
>>> indication of a problem is when I look at my bluetooth services, most
>>> of the services have a red "X". When I try to enable that service, I
>>> get a message that it is not available with my phone.
>>>
>>> When I go through the MPT setup for Bluetooth, it sees the phone and
>>> gives me a code number to enter into the phone when asked. I enter
>>> the code and it says the phone and PC are mated. However, I then get
>>> an error message that says, "Com port installation failed." That's as
>>> far as I can get. Any help?

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:59:39 AM

Did you get the services to show up in My BT Places? As for the error
that you're getting I'm afraid I can't be of much help because MPT still
works fine for me. I can go between MPT and My BT Places with no
problem. One thought comes to mind: Did you simply select the CSR
driver in the procedure I outlined or did you do as the MS document
suggested and rename the MS driver? If you did rename it try changing
it back. I noticed when I ran MPT after using My BT Places that a box
popped up saying that Windows was installing my device. That might mean
that the original MS driver had to be used for the MPT application. I
just don't know if that's what happened or not. In Device Mgr I still
see the CSR driver and under COM ports I see that Bluetooth is using COM
Port 19.

From:D ick
LeadWinger

> OK. I have followed your advice to the letter, but I still get the
> Com Port error in MPT after the phone and pc mate.
>
> Dick
>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:12:01 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>> That is the post I was following and where I got the Microsoft KB. I
>> see now a step near the bottom that I didn't do. I'll try that.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dick
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:36:34 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look at the Bluetooth tutorial I posted yesterday. I covered
>>> the issue of enabling sevices there. If you can't find it I can
>>> email it to you.
>>>
>>> From:D ick
>>> LeadWinger

January 19, 2005 9:24:58 AM

Yes, I have both push and file transfer services showing in BT places.
I do not see anywhere in Device Mgr that Bluetooth is using any com
port. Maybe that's part of the problem.

When I followed the Microsoft KB, I had to use both methods. Windows
wouldn't let me select the 3rd party driver without renaming the
bth.inf file first. I'll do as you suggest and rename the file back
as it was.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:59:39 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Did you get the services to show up in My BT Places? As for the error
>that you're getting I'm afraid I can't be of much help because MPT still
>works fine for me. I can go between MPT and My BT Places with no
>problem. One thought comes to mind: Did you simply select the CSR
>driver in the procedure I outlined or did you do as the MS document
>suggested and rename the MS driver? If you did rename it try changing
>it back. I noticed when I ran MPT after using My BT Places that a box
>popped up saying that Windows was installing my device. That might mean
>that the original MS driver had to be used for the MPT application. I
>just don't know if that's what happened or not. In Device Mgr I still
>see the CSR driver and under COM ports I see that Bluetooth is using COM
>Port 19.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:57:52 AM

Hi Dick,
I just bought a Motorola A630 and the Mobile Phone Tools software. I'm
having the EXACT problem as you did. Have you figured it out?
Thanks!

--
a630user
February 16, 2005 6:55:02 PM

Howdy!

V551 here...exact same problems, successes, questions. Any solutions
you can share would be wonderful. I'll do the same. I'm also seeing
other connection types failing. My headset connected, but after
entering the PIN it told me "Unable to create headset connection
for..."

Thanks!

Bernie

--
Trisklbr
Anonymous

OK!

I got mine working!

I didn't document the process extremely well, but here goes:

1. Get everything set up as we already had.
2. Delete any existing modems to clear the connections (you can add
them back later)
3. Through windows dialup (Control Panel, Phones and Modems), add a
modem.
a. Don't autodetect.
b. Select 'Bluetooth Modem' as type. (You'll see some activity as
windows
sets up the necessary com port and such)
4. In Phonetools, under the menu choose Setup > General Setup >
Communication > Change Modem
5. Select the new Bluetooth Modem
6. Identify phone model (you'll see some AT code testing)
7. Click [OK] as needed and then watch the Phonetools populate with
connection data.
8. Use as normal.

I may not have hit every step (I'm loath to delete mine just to
recreate the steps...maybe later when I've had coffee...), so if at
first it doesn't work, tinker with it and post any refinements. E-mail
me if it just doesn't work or my instructions are unclear.

Yours,

Bernie

--
Trisklbr